O/T My fly fishing addiction

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

groundpounder

O/T My fly fishing addiction

Post by groundpounder »

My fly fishing addiction continues! A great hobie to occupy so much more time than just the fishing aspect. I enjoy the fly tying, the rod building, and even the reel building. I have recently completed my third reel build. Each one getting a little more complicated than the prior. This one is built for a 10 weight with a full functioning cork drag system.

And to prove that it works...

The striper continues to be my prey of choice! The "tug is the drug"!!! Here are some nice shots and fish of some of my more recent trips.

I have also just recently gotten my first "sort of" job in the flyfishing industry. I'm now the first Pro Staff angler for Eflyz. It stands for engineered flies. A company a friend of mine started who designed and makes the hard bodied flies. You can check them out at eflyz.com and you can also follow my endeavors on my instagram at 615groundpounder. Shoot straight and tight lines all!
Why ride when you can walk!
coolhl

Re: O/T My fly fishing addiction

Post by coolhl »

except for the single (antiverse) dog it looks very much like a Tibor...I cannot imagine how much work it takes to make a fly reel one at a time even with a CNC machine. what is its weight and diameter?
looks amazingly well done!!!!!
I started off with a Pfleuger almost 50 years ago...
the advancement in reel and rod design over the years has been mindboggling.
of all the reels I have owned the best drag is on my AR Billy Pate serial #231 made in the 70's. It is small arbor and heavy for a salmon sized reel but the drag is still butter smooth...
Norm

groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

The weight is a little on the heavy side right at 11 ounces. There were several places where I could have shaved off more weight but more liked the look of what I had. Also when its on a 10 weight rod it is balanced out pretty well. I have cast it from sun up to sun down and have been fine with it. It is 4 inches in diameter. It was all done on a manual lathe and manual mill with a rotary head. Time consuming yes but a lot more fun than doing thousands of the same part over and over. Yes it does just have the single pawl drag stop. I did see where some manufactures use 2 and I thought about it but I was still trying to keep it somewhat simple for my first drag system. I'm sure I will make it more complicated with my next one if there is a next one. Here are a couple of other picks.

Why ride when you can walk!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Looks fantastic the Reel n the Striper fishin. No flyfishin here, no own none
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bubba

Post by bubba »

You have some serious skills sir. To be able to build a fly reel as nice as that. Its one sport i never got into, but know a few that love it. Both salt and fresh water. I've seen guys catching Tarpon 100 pounds or better on Fly outfits, with a little larger reels. It really is a sport to see, or Bone fish in the Keys. A real challenge for sure. I admit though, i love to fish for the sport of it, and i do some times go out just for the sport of it, like for Tarpon, Kings, and other game fish. I mostly go out for food for my table... An'it nothing better than grits and fish. SMILE.. I see your from Georgia, and a couple those pictures look like inshore flats around the southern coast. Spent many a hour hauling in Reds, Trout, and Snapper, in those areas. Anyway your work is a art. Amazing...... Keep bending those poles............
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Wow GP ... another work of art ! Awesome fishing pictures as well !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Really Nice Build!!! . . .and awsome shots! too many hobbies= broke! :lol:

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Outstanding work Congrats!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

amazing, incredible talent to build that with manual tools only.
a true work of art....that reel will last many generations!!!!!
norm
wabi

Post by wabi »

Nice looking reel and a great catch!
wabi
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

It's all good from what I see,,,,looks like your efforts and time are paying big dividends!!!! Very Nice!! :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!