what would cause a 405 to smoke a plastic nock?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

strum

Re: what would cause a 405 to smoke a plastic nock?

Post by strum »

Deaf jeff wrote:
otisbrazwell wrote:I have shot 350gr and 395gr with no problem it was a 431gr that failed maybe knock fitting poorly.i did shoot more but at 385gr with glued plastic knocks.just seemed the heavy log didn't move fast enough for the string don't think I would try that again .
"nock fitting poorly"...... is it possible that the nock itself backed out of the arrow enough to where it would be similar to a partial dry fire :?:
my first thought too Jeff.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

everything was tight and all the way back ..I could try shooting the same set up again but im not going to..with plastic knocks I will keep it light for target shooting..i will get some zombies with aluminum knocks for hunting going to try ramcats to..can wait to hunt with this bone crushing 405 :D
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

in speaking with Danny M. a while back he said something about plastic nocks and strings slipping with the Carbon Express Maximas plastic nocks. is it a being a too slick issue?. ive never had an issue but wonder if scuffing them up so the string grabs. just a thought.
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

string went right through center of the arrow not over or under back end was gone from knock and rest of knock was jammed to blazers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Sounds like the nock shoulder couldn't hold up under the 405's power. Yup go to the alum.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

My bow hits the nocks dead center an blows them apart an ruins arrows. then I tried regular aluminum inserts like I have used on many of my bows with no problem but they cut into my serving on this bow. flat aluminum only for me now an no problem. when you see the black marks that are left on my flat nocks you know this bow is hitting that nock hard.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I had over 1800 shots out of my 410 (pre-production field test bow with a slightly longer stroke) at last year's Boofest. Tremps used it at Boofest shooting a couple of hundred shots with no issues at all. Near the end of Boofest a couple of members asked if they could shoot the bow and of course I allowed them to shoot it unsupervised. They returned the bow and being somewhat safety conscience, I checked the arrows before shooting. What I found was 3 mushroomed plastic nocks and 2 arrows with long cracks in the rear of the shaft. I'm sure a couple of semi dry-fires caused that. One of the reasons I use double wall heat shrink on my arrow retainer is to maintain good pressure between the string and arrow. With the exception fo the first few hundred shots, all shooting was gone with BEAs and plastic nocks.
The heavier draw Mission bows, if used with plastic nocks, will do the same thing with arrows with plastic nocks. However, the circumstances are not the same but what is similar is how the arrow gets damaged. The Mission limbs are not loaded very heavily at full cock. When at full cock, you can actually grab the string and easily move it around, so there is very little poundage at full cock. The energy stored in the cams is released violently by the cams and I believe in a very similar manner that the 405 applies it's energy in a partial dry-fire.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Utah Hunter

Post by Utah Hunter »

I know my ruined arrow and cut string was a result of loose plastic nock that came off the arrow which was then loaded into the 380 bow unnoticed (black nock on a black arrow).After the scary experience I checked several things and eventually found two of the other new arrows with nocks loose enough to fall off. Both of those had been shot two or three times. Three of the other new arrows had nocks that loosened with twisting.

Post by newbie »

Thats a possibility too that he nock was missing. what colour were your nocks? This is the reason i will only use coloured nocks. Another is the nock was damaged from another arrow hitting it. If i shoot groups I always inspect nocks for damage and replace them as necessary.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

knock was in place arrows was seated it was one of 6 new bolts that had just been fletched..i checked the other 5 after the fact and the knocks did not fit
as tight as some new ones I had..they were black bee knocks and looked to be dented in just a bit may be thinner plastic were the string hits..it will be aluminum form here on..only way to realy find out is to re shoot the same set up which I will pass on :arrow: