What's your shortest kill shot?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

What's your shortest kill shot?

Post by DuckHunt »

The longest shot thread is nice, but archery is about getting close. I've got some close ones under my belt but I'm sure some others have a few closer encounters worth sharing.

Stand hunting should almost be a different category. I have shot a doe with my compound bow once that was literally under my stand. I had to lean over the side and hold my arrow on the rest with my finger.

From the ground, I shot a doe at about 3 yards that was bedded in tall grass. I could see through an opening in the grass enough to make out the body.

With my crossbow, 10 yards is as close as I've taken a shot.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
bikerbob24

Re: What's your shortest kill shot?

Post by bikerbob24 »

I took a 6 point buck trailing a doe, he passed within 10 feet of me....he had his mind on other things....kinda like texting and walking when he should have been looking.... :D
Micro 335
Nightmare 335
Matrix 330
Axiom
Vixenmaster Flemish Strings
K-9 handler and trainer , K-9 Baily my partner for 7 years, we are now retired , spending our time hunting & fishing or just enjoying life.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I killed a big 5 pt couple yrs ago wid Miss Vixen, 6 yds. I shot a spike wid me ML & i powder burned his neck where the prb went in. I slipped up on anudder spike one mornin with my Bil watchin n shot him behind the ear wid me Pa's 16ga n a slug, :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Chris Dillard

Post by Chris Dillard »

The 9pt in my avatar pic was harvested at 7 yards.
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

For me it wasn't too close. About 15 yards. Chasing a doe they flew by me behind me then 10 minutes later only he came back and eventually came at me and I nailed him at 15 yards on a frontal shot. He went about 40 yards and was finished. It was one of my favorite hunts to date.
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

Well this past year IF I wanted to shoot a button I could have shot him at literally 2 yards from my ground blind. But he got a pass :D
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

my 2nd doe w/ my 355 last year . . .20 yards :) . . . i'll take'm as i get'm :lol:
-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

One morning I was having the weirdest hunt.... By my count I saw close to 25 deer, missed 2 bucks ( didn't range and shot under them)... I had 10 deer around me and shot the closestvone , even though it was one of the smaller doe's, at ... Well, I guess 1 yard?? It was directly under my stand.... She ran 45 yards and piled up
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

About 10 feet. Had just attached the rope to my bow. and was about to attach my climber to the tree when I saw a doe 15yds away. I knelt behind the tree shaking like a leaf because I'm not even close to being ready for a shot. Now I have to untie my bow, get my release from my backpack, nock an arrow, stand up, draw and fire. All while the doe is facing me now about 10 feet away. It took me all of 2 minutes to finally be ready to stand and shoot. The hardest part was nocking an arrow because I was shaking so much.
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
Tom

Post by Tom »

A 23lb turkey at 7 yards. The jake and 5 hens did not help much.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I shot a Russian Boar from my blind at about ten yards away with my compound. I heart shot it with a Rage three blade that did not open. I got a pass through, the boar shuddered and took three steps towards me and fell over. I think a field point with the same placement would have yielded similar results.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Fullquiver

Post by Fullquiver »

2ft on a small 4pt hunting on a neighboring farm with a Horton Explorer, was doing crop predation hunting... It was foggy and he snuck up on me and wouldn't turn so when he stopped and was trying to smell the end of the raised crossbow, I shot him at point blank right at the base of the neck, blood landed on my shoe from the hit..
A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.
bubba

Post by bubba »

Well for me its 19 yards, with a crossbow. 8 to 10 feet with my compound, and 5 or so yards with a 30-30 marlin. And many a hog with my pig sticker Corby custom knife. With and without dogs. Ah the good old days.....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Shot a couple deer from the ground at less then 10 yards with the excal and one with the 30-06 less then 10yds
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

About 4 yards, maybe less. Had a doe right under my stand, had to wait forever for her to move enough to get a shot angle that was not a spine shot!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!