Compound xbow brand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Re: Compound xbow brand

Post by SEW »

To go along with some of the comments made. Some feel the Solution 350 to be one of the quietest, smoothest xbows made. They may well be correct. It is gentle and quiet, that is w/o the hand guard which makes a lot of noise. However, it's not close to either heavily silenced and smoothed Matrixes. My greatest hunting regret is not discovering Excalibur many compound xbows ago(got a PSE Foxfire #125 the year they came out). A parallel is finally discovering why there are so many own RAM(Dodge) pickups now. I was late to the party. Both parties. :D
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Buckmaster Maxpoint(Hybrid made by Bear/Excalibur as compound). Shot 339fps (Danny Miller cables/string) with 445grn 2219's but I tuned it down to to 329fps by backing down harness/string to provide dry fire buffer.
FWIW - It shoots exactly as accurate as my Exomax & Vortex out to 50 yds and about 5fps(as I have setup) faster than my Exomax. I can't tell the difference in shock or noise between them and the Vortex, but the exomax, is marginally louder/more shock.
IMHO- the Buckmaster Maxpoints/ Paradox shoots like the Exocet 200 but 30fps faster...

I plan on buying the new Bowtech/ Excalibur Hybrid when it comes out..
Have your cake and eat it too:)
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

SEW. I love my scorpyd slp. It is fast very fast but I will be looking to trade it in later this year for a new smaller lighter scorpyd. Most likely the Orion with 160lb limbs. While mine is nice it's getting big and a bit heavy so I like the smaller version. But accuracy is amazing to say. Also the power could not of been matched.

Try a 436 gr arrow at 433 fps. Yup big time power and speed. But they are pricey but I feel they are worth it. It is also a breeze to change strings. No press needed unless it's cables have to be changed. It's also so easy to load and can you say very quiet.

I whole heartedly recommend them. I will always have a Scorpyd and an Excalibur.

Brian
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:I have a Wicked Ridge Raider, 150 SZ, 320 Mission and a 150 Ventilator. I sold my RDT 150 and 165.
I would direct you to Scorpyd because of the over all quality and support. I own a Last Chance press but none of the Scorpyds have ever had to go on that press. Yet, the Raider and SZ have (both have crappy strings). I see the biggest advantage of the Scorpyds is the longer stroke, making it more efficient with heavier payloads and the personal support of Jim Kempf.
Having said that, all compounds bore me. I love my Excaliburs! :D
Stay tuned to see what comes of the Bowtech Offspring. From what I hear and see, they may just become one of the best compound bows made. Every time I talk to Danny Miller, he tells me how much he loves his. He's wearing me down and I may/will succumb to the calling! :mrgreen:
BTW, at this point and time, I would not buy a Ten Point. Their current situation is precarious at best. Looking at the numbers, their recall could send them to the poor house. :shock: Sucks to be them!
Don, if you would pull the trigger( pun intended) on a new Offspring, you could have it at Boofest for everyone to try :lol:
cdwester

Post by cdwester »

Anyone ever try a Killer Instinct compound. I'm a big recurve fan but I saw this thing on a website and wouldn't mind hearing some first hand feedback.
Comes with a TriggerTech too.
http://crossbowhuntin.com/index.php/201 ... e-machine/
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Boo wrote:I have a Wicked Ridge Raider, 150 SZ, 320 Mission and a 150 Ventilator. I sold my RDT 150 and 165.
I would direct you to Scorpyd because of the over all quality and support. I own a Last Chance press but none of the Scorpyds have ever had to go on that press. Yet, the Raider and SZ have (both have crappy strings). I see the biggest advantage of the Scorpyds is the longer stroke, making it more efficient with heavier payloads and the personal support of Jim Kempf.
Stay tuned to see what comes of the Bowtech Offspring. From what I hear and see, they may just become one of the best compound bows made. Every time I talk to Danny Miller, he tells me how much he loves his. He's wearing me down and I may/will succumb to the calling! :mrgreen:
BTW, at this point and time, I would not buy a Ten Point. Their current situation is precarious at best. Looking at the numbers, their recall could send them to the poor house. :shock: Sucks to be them!
Don, if you would pull the trigger( pun intended) on a new Offspring, you could have it at Boofest for everyone to try :lol:
Brian, two questions:
1)why do most Scorpyd owners say they need a bow press to change CABLES when this video clearly shows both string AND cables can be changed without a press; AND if that is true doesn't that mean by twisting or untwisting a cable you can time the cams? (go to about 2:30 on the video)
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2333357
2)which do you prefer to take hunting, your Excal 405 or your Scorpyd?
thanks,
norm
Last edited by coolhl on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
kysdad

Post by kysdad »

I have a Tenpoint Titan Extreme and it's been a great little bow, however I am contemplating getting rid of it and getting either another Micro or perhaps a 355. We shall see. Let me say this about Excalibur-I am planning four deer hunting trips where I will drive 6 hours one way and I absolutely shutter to think of packing any other bow besides an Excalibur. I know things happen, but I just feel better having the dependability.
Matrix 350 LE
Spynal Tapps
Spitfires
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Not bragging but I've ha the old Bear Devistator compound crossbow along with
Horton's and an Hunter one of the 1-st 10 point crossbows made. Always came back to Excal's as they are one great crossbow and are hard to beat as far as maint. and customer service go. Gonna wait and see if the Bowtech Offspring makes it where you can change a string without a bow press. As for now you have to have a Bow press to change the strings on the Bowtech Offspring crossbow in which that does su*k for sure. Where as with an Excal well you know how easy as pie it is to change a string without a bow press thank God !!!! :D
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I have had no less than 9 different compound, Tenpoint and Parker being the 2 I liked the best, the Scorpyd I had the least amount of time. For me it was one of the quietest, but not as quiet as the Parker Gale Force, not near as small as the Tenpoint Venom or Stealth, and no quieter than the Stryker 380 or 350. The speed to me is meaningless, but if I had another Scorpyd it would be a 135 as anything over 370 fps with a 400+ grain arrow is a deficit!! As when you get over 360 fps you loose many broadhead choices, most targets quit working to stop them, arrow shafts become so critical their are only a couple choices and they are the most expensive, and even your choice of vanes becomes even more limited, plus all that extra speed is useless unless you want to be sloppy in your range estimation, it doesn't kill deader!! In the last 30 years I shot vertical bows, I was the only one that would show up in a bow shop, with a 74# bow, shooting nearly 8 grains per pound of draw, and using one of the heaviest XX78 easton shafts they make,,,,,2317. To me speed is one of the most over rated topics we have in archery!!

But they are all gone every one of them, and all for the same reason... I think the recurve is the best bow made for the way I hunt. That is all I use a bow for Hunting. I love the 335 Micro and think for my needs it is the finest bow available for most of my hunting. If I could only have one bow for hunting though it would be the 380!!! and particularly the Mad Max!

I say this because if I was a speed freak and that was all that mattered to me I would maybe be 405 bow only guy, If I was into quiet small and light the Micro. But the 380 for me is handy enough size and weight wise, fast enough for out past 50 or 60 yards and accurate enough for 100 yards shots, but for the way hunt from open areas thickets and late season the Mad Max has the best camo finish for all seasons and locations, and will work though not as good as the Micro in thickets and swamps, but better than the 405, not as good as the 405 out past 50 yards but better than the Micro, and for all round use this would be my choice if I could only have one bow!!!

Now as I age, and don't want to use a crank, but if the day comes and I need easier cocking,,, the only advantage I have seen to having a compound, and everything else is a trade off, I think it would be a Tenpoint,,, FX4 or Venom. BBUT,,, now with the choice of the offspring,,, and knowing the 380 front end version is coming, If I ever do choose to have another compound it will give me another choice over the Ten Points, But only when I start having trouble cocking the 380 and Micro!! :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
SEW

Post by SEW »

Wildcatter,
I hope that at the tender young age of 60, you have a long time until you need an aid to cock the 380 or even 405.
As a comparison or actually a contrast, I've shot 7 1/2 -8 gs/lb but with 57-60# bows(2013,2114,2213 and 100g SFs or Thunderheads. I do hunt bean fields. Fortunately, I can still hunt with my Palmer White Tail Classic recurve(52#). Do 30 yds down, I use this. For 30-60+ yds, the 405 primary and 380 back up. I'm 68 and still hand cocking them(range - C2 for 405). :D
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

SEW wrote:Wildcatter,
I hope that at the tender young age of 60, you have a long time until you need an aid to cock the 380 or even 405.
As a comparison or actually a contrast, I've shot 7 1/2 -8 gs/lb but with 57-60# bows(2013,2114,2213 and 100g SFs or Thunderheads. I do hunt bean fields. Fortunately, I can still hunt with my Palmer White Tail Classic recurve(52#). Do 30 yds down, I use this. For 30-60+ yds, the 405 primary and 380 back up. I'm 68 and still hand cocking them(range - C2 for 405). :D

Sew my problem is after 20 years as a union Iron Worker, setting steel and doing heavy rigging, I fell 42' landing on my right side, head and shoulder first. After recovering from 11 busted vertebra in my neck and back, having my neck pinned plated and screwed, with my lower back fused, with holes in both lungs from ribs being snapped off at the spine and puncturing them, plus crushing my right shoulder, with the cartilage and tendons tore up in the left knee and a ruptured spleen, in 1991, I ain't so tender since then. I never let anything hold me down, but I have been drawing my pension every since. After the accident it took about a year to start getting around again, and about 2 years later I started developing severe arthritis and ever since it has been progressing, I just keep forcing myself to do everything I can, at times, against my doctors wishes. Hard to stop doing everything that bothers me, and still stay active as he says I need to do. I never did anything the easy way, and so far have enjoyed life much more than most, as long as I can shoot what I like I will and try and do it sensibly, if you know what I mean.

I also as much as I dislike the RDT platform have to say, the new Scorpyd Extreme with 110# limbs is really starting to intrigue me!! The thought of 360 fps with a 440 grain arrow, only using a 110# draw weight could make me overlook all the points I don't like about this configuration,,,, but trust me Mike, however I have to do it, I hope I can do this for another 60 years,,,,,I am going to do whatever I have to try and make that happen,,,,, :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

The matrix 380 goes hunting most of the time the 330 the bulk of the times the 380 doesn't.
I have a older hickory creek vertical crossbow. Last year I put new 85# limbs and just put new string and cables on it. The bow has its place in my hunting. It's a great blind bow and super tree stand bow. It really shines hunting 3 fork built tree stands. To be honest I don't hunt anymore lol.

The mission 320 is my favorite compound hands down. You can judge how well I like stuff by how long it lives in my house. It's going on its 3rd season coming up.
Very quiet super easy to cock and just as accurate as any bow ( it's the arrows anyway). The year before the matrix's I hunted with it every day. It did just as good as any. I'm working with some guys to get what I beleve is a cable problem. And I have no doubt we're going to make this bow every bit as bullet proof as the excals.

I've had and shot and hunted with several compounds. This has been my experience. Every compound has broke down and needed nursing along IMO.
In 7 years of owning excals I'm waiting on my first break down out side of serving.
And I shoot and hunt
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I still have my Mission MXB320. Still goin strong after 650 shots, great lil Compound Crossbow. Deer killin Booger is what it is
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Boo

Post by Boo »

I'm weak! Danny crooned just one too many times! :shock:
Last edited by Boo on Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:
I'm weak! Danny crooned just one too many time! :shock:
I had a very lengthy(who'd a thought) conversation with him yesterday. He's done lots of work on his and seems very tickled with them. Will see a Boofest!