Have owned Exocet for 4 years; going back to compound....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Falcon

Have owned Exocet for 4 years; going back to compound....

Post by Falcon »

First let me say that I have no doubts at all that I purchased the most accurate hunting crossbow available 4 years ago when I bought my Exocet. I mounted a Leupold 3x9 EFR scope and could hit silver-dollar size circles every time at 30 yards from a rest......

However, after having bowhunted quite successfully with recurves and compounds since I was 17 years old, I must honestly say that the "recoil" and "jarring" shot-sensation of shooting a crossbow soon became quite unappealing to me. I soon began to really miss the smooth, quiet shot and pleasant feeling of shooting a real bow.....

Also, the challenge of hunting with a crossbow was "zero" compared to a real bow (although much more challenging than rifle-hunting). I truly, honestly began to dislike myself, as I felt I was "cheating" when I killed a deer with it! My traditional bowhunting buddies gave me no end of grief about using a "cross-gun" and it nearly cost me some friendships!.....

I have since returned to a compound bow and the fun, excitement and CHALLENGE of bowhunting has returned to my life!

I think crossbows are GREAT for rifle hunters who want to "ease into" bowhunting and don't want to make the jump to a real bow all at once. Also, for physically-handicapped shooters who just cannot shoot a real bow, a crossbow is perfect!

I definitely believe crossbows should be legal in ALL states, but only during the gun-seasons for big game! Anything with a rifle-type stock, a rifle-type trigger and a rifle-type scope does not belong in archery season...period!

Even though I have tried to be kind, I doubt if this post is allowed to remain long on this forum.....but it is my honest feelings.......

For those of you who have never tried a recurve or compound bow, I would gently like to encourage you not to get "stuck" at the crossbow-level of challenge in the deer woods. After dropping a few with your fine Excalibur, give a real bow a try.....I bet you'll love it!

Best Regards,
Richard
Red Label

Re: Have owned Exocet for 4 years; going back to compound...

Post by Red Label »

Falcon wrote: My traditional bowhunting buddies gave me no end of grief about using a "cross-gun" and it nearly cost me some friendships!.....

I definitely believe crossbows should be legal in ALL states, but only during the gun-seasons for big game! Anything with a rifle-type stock, a rifle-type trigger and a rifle-type scope does not belong in archery season...period!

Even though I have tried to be kind, I doubt if this post is allowed to remain long on this forum
A.) If the topic of what bow you use almost cost you a friendship, I'd question the value of that very friendship!

B.) you are entitled to your beliefs and we will continue to fight for ours.

C.) this forum doesn't censor posts like BS :wink: , so yours won't get deleted by our moderator....we're not above a little controversy on here! :wink:

PS - when you kill your deer this fall with whatever legal weapon you choose, c'mon back and post 'er up on here and all the boys will give you a big GENUINE pat on the back....we're all for any legal hunting method you choose.
Falcon

Post by Falcon »

red label,

I appreciate your reply....very well said and I appreciate Excalibur, also!

May I ask if you have ever hunted big-game with a recurve or compound?

If so, did you harvest any game?

Why do you personally prefer to hunt with a crossbow over regular archery gear?
Fur & Feathers

Post by Fur & Feathers »

I can't help asking why you bought a crossbow 4 yrs ago? Some statements don't seem to add up to me. The zero challenge statement doesn't make sense if you truly hunted with a crossbow. You still have to have the animal close which is the greatest challenge of archery hunting in my opinion. I think you should look elsewhere for friends if they gave you grief for using a legal tool to take game. What kind of sportsman would do that to a friend? Good luck hunting with your REAL bow, & post some pics if successful. Honesty is not censored here.
Last edited by Fur & Feathers on Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get out & Enjoy.
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

Maybe you're looking to lynch a "slob" gun hunter who wants to take the "easy" way into bowhunting....if so, have at it...I'm a big boy. :wink:

Indeed, most of my experience deer hunting was with a firearm and that was many years ago in my teens and twenties. Then I actually took a complete hunting hiatus for almost a decade and now I am back at it in a big way.

I did buy a compound bow about 14+ years ago and dabbled with it. I found there was an incessant amount of tweaking, tuning and repairing required to keep the thing shooting well though. To be honest, I got good enough to play around a bit but I never got good enough to hunt with it IMHO. Beat me with a wet noodle if you want, but I didn't practice much....that was my fault but it's also the truth. I sat in a treestand maybe 1/2 dozen times with that bow and never felt right about what I was doing and I never shot anything. I was pretty green then too (never had a bowhunting mentor) and I never had a reasonable opportunity present itself. I shot a bit of small game but nothing big.

Then I took the aforementioned hunting hiatus.....

About 3 or 4 years ago I decided to hunt again and I decided to try a crossbow & I lucked into Excalibur - now I own several of them. The hunting has been good for sure, but a large part of that success is due to the people I'm running with now (ie. mentoring) and the area I now live in (tons of deer). Further to that, the guys on this board have been excellent mentors in all aspects of the sport. I can pick up any one of my bows and head out, confident that it's not going to break, and that I can shoot it well on game. I can shoot my crossbow well with less practice...there I said it. IMHO it's important to be afield with a weapon you are confident with and can humanely kill with....for me that's the crossbow.

In Ontario we are lucky to not have this stigma attached to crossbows...they have been ingrained in the archery season here as long as I can remember. We all bowhunt just like your so called "real" bowhunters do. We don't care what the other guy shoots,as long as it's within the regulations and in an ethical manner.

flame away :wink: I've got my asbestos gotchies on.

Mike
HunterBP1

Post by HunterBP1 »

Thats great Falcon and I certainly do not hold your opinion against you.

I find that 90 % of hunting is the ability to get the game near enough for a shot, and whether you use a traditional, compound or crossbow, thats within 40 yards for most of us, after that its whether your skill level with the weapon your using is sufficient to do the task...

:roll:

I ceratinaly have missed my share of game with a crossbow and by no means think it is like shooting a rifle, cause I can shoot deer at 300 yards with a rifle, but not my xbow. I do admit it takes less pratice, but it takes just as much skill and nohow to get that animal within your killing range and a crossbow, traditional or compound makes no difference there.

HunterBP1
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Falcon : Welcome to you our latest registered member .

Let me start off by saying " Best to you , in your hunting adventures with whatever weapon you chose "

But when you come to this forum and post
After dropping a few with your fine Excalibur, give a real bow a try
I can't help but feel that you are here to stir the pot !!

I personally have taken deer , moose , and bear with a compound bow . And I can honestly say I can't feel that is was less a challenge then when I shoot with my crossbow ....

I have to side with Fur and Feathers with his observation of You still have to have the animal close which is the greatest challenge of archery hunting in my opinion.

I do feel I'm more efficient with my crossbow .... and that is the bottom line for me ..... I strive to be the most effiecent hunter I can be with archery tackle . In my neck of the woods crossbows are considered legal archery tackle !

When you come off with comments like
Give a real bow a try ... you are starting to sound like some of your so called friends have rubbed off on you !

In closing ..... have a great time afield .... send us some pictures of your adventures , we all love to see and hear from fellow hunters ....

If you are here to start a bows are better than crossbows thread , then shove off .... we have better things to review on this site ... like the soon to be posted pic's and video adventures of the sites founder Bill T. I wonder if he felt challenged when he wistled a bolt thru a cape buffalo with his Exomax on his latest adveture in the great outdoors .....

BTW : Are you selling your Exocet ? There have been a couple of guy's looking for a used one lately .... maybe you could help them out ?

Like this guy ...http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... light=help[/i][/b]
Last edited by R.J. on Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Gary in Ohio

Post by Gary in Ohio »

Is it troll season already?
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

ps - Falcon - whaddaya want $$ for the Exocet? :wink:

always room for one on here!
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

I am curious. I see that you just registered to this forum today, and your first post was to tell us that you were now dissatisfied with crossbow hunting. Why bother? Were you hoping to start a controversy?
I have hunted with a "Real" bow for over 30 years. When I say Real Bow, I'm talking about longbow and recurve. I have taken more deer than I can really remember and 3 elk. I always considered the compound more of a machine than a bow, but I never talked it down. I hunted for many years with the same bunch of guys. I was the only one who didn't use a compound. We got along fine with no controversy over our equipment. All of us had about the same rate of success and we always had a good time. I have no doubt that I could hunt with them today using my crossbow and there would not be any arguments. I have moved away and do not have the ability to hunt with them anymore, and I miss that, but I do know that we would be friends no matter our different choices of legal hunting tools. I have chosen to shoot the crossbow now because:
1. It is a legal weapon for hunting in my state
2. Old injuries have prevented me from shooting my recurves
3. I owe it to the game that I pursue to be the most proficient
hunter that I can be. I cannot be porficient with a "Real" bow
any more, and I don't want to quit hunting.
Last edited by Newbi on Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GaryL

Re: Have owned Exocet for 4 years; going back to compound...

Post by GaryL »

Falcon wrote:First let me say that I have no doubts at all that I purchased the most accurate hunting crossbow available 4 years ago when I bought my Exocet. I mounted a Leupold 3x9 EFR scope and could hit silver-dollar size circles every time at 30 yards from a rest......

However, after having bowhunted quite successfully with recurves and compounds since I was 17 years old, I must honestly say that the "recoil" and "jarring" shot-sensation of shooting a crossbow soon became quite unappealing to me. I soon began to really miss the smooth, quiet shot and pleasant feeling of shooting a real bow.....

Also, the challenge of hunting with a crossbow was "zero" compared to a real bow (although much more challenging than rifle-hunting). I truly, honestly began to dislike myself, as I felt I was "cheating" when I killed a deer with it! My traditional bowhunting buddies gave me no end of grief about using a "cross-gun" and it nearly cost me some friendships!.....

I have since returned to a compound bow and the fun, excitement and CHALLENGE of bowhunting has returned to my life!

I think crossbows are GREAT for rifle hunters who want to "ease into" bowhunting and don't want to make the jump to a real bow all at once. Also, for physically-handicapped shooters who just cannot shoot a real bow, a crossbow is perfect!

Best Regards,
Richard

To all his/her own...that being said "My traditional bowhunting buddies gave me no end of grief about using a "cross-gun" and it nearly cost me some friendships!....." I can't say your friends are friends or buddies.

The crossbow is not a rifle or anything near a rifle, only the way you may hold it. I shoot all, recurve, conpound, longbow and YES MY EXCALIBUR'S and get no bullshit from my friends.

Use what feels good to you and as stated above we all would like to see your pictures and give you Congrat's as this forum is open to all. The best to ya!
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Falcon wrote:My traditional bowhunting buddies gave me no end of grief about using a "cross-gun" and it nearly cost me some friendships!.....
Nice "friends"... :roll:
A.W

Post by A.W »

I really feel that the guys on this forum deceived me by not telling me my Excal was not a real bow!!!

I'm sooooo disappointed that I'm going back to my traditional hunting tool........... Bagpipes filled with dried peas.

Although it's a barrelled instrument capable of discharging projectiles, in a rapid fashion, it's not classified as a firearm. However the beasties run away as soon as it discharges therefor truely making it a more challenging hunting instrument. :shock:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
confederate

Post by confederate »

I have shot compounds for over 20 years. I have takens over 80 whitetails with them. I came down with target panic a year ago and I have my compound listed on ebay right now. I worked myself to a frassel this past year trying to cure the Target Panic. I have been shooting Bows long enough to know all about it. I have done every thing I know to do. I am tired of standing in the yard everyday still shooting bad. It has come to the point that it aint fun anymore so why continue. I will buy me an Exocet when I sell My Bow. I put down my Gun and Bowhunted only for 13 years, thats how much I loved it. I will probably not Bowhunt Only anymore with the CrossBow but at least I will feel like I can make an ethical Kill when I shoot during the Bow season. I use to say Crossbows dont belong in Bowseason But I have changed my toon since I came down With the Target Panic . If Georgia hadnt leagalized Crossbows for Archery Season last year, I would be sitting home during Bow season this year. I remember making the statement one time that I would quit Bowhunting before I would use a Cross Bow. I am eating my words now! I am so thankful that I will be able to hunt this year and not feel like I am wasting my time because of not being able to hit anything. I have realized that I am a hunter first and a Archer second. I TELL YOU ONE THING, I aint quitting Hunting for nothing. Im sure I will have some friends who will really be surprised about my decision. I already dont feel like I am welcome on some of the Archery Sites I go to all the time and I havent even metioned it on there yet. The Bowsite is one of them for sure. All I have to say is,if these guys were in my hopeless situation would they quit Hunting, or get a CrossBow? Im not concerned with the Deer I would miss with a Compound Bow. I am concerned with the Deer I would wound! I have always been a good enough hunter that I can Kill what ever amount of Deer I wanted and I let a lot of Deer walk. I wont shoot anymore Deer with a Crossbow Than I would have with a compound. So I say to the guys who dont like me shooting a Crossbow, Ya'll CAN KISS MY REBEL ASS!! 8)
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

:lol: :lol: :lol: A.W. that is 8)
A.W wrote:I really feel that the guys on this forum deceived me by not telling me my Excal was not a real bow!!!

I'm sooooo disappointed that I'm going back to my traditional hunting tool........... Bagpipes filled with dried peas.

Although it's a barrelled instrument capable of discharging projectiles, in a rapid fashion, it's not classified as a firearm. However the beasties run away as soon as it discharges therefor truely making it a more challenging hunting instrument. :shock:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!