The argument for crossbows presented in Montgomery, Alabama

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

striper

The argument for crossbows presented in Montgomery, Alabama

Post by striper »

This is the argument I presented in favor of crossbow hunting this morning at the public hearing in Montgomery, Alabama. It was well received. Striper

8/2/2004

Gentlemen:
The current regulations dealing with crossbows in the State of Alabama mandate that a person must be handicapped to the extent that a physician will certify that they are unable to draw and hold a bow that meets minimum draw weight standards for bow hunting. This regulation discriminates against men who are handicapped, but can draw and hold a bow that has a draw weight of 35 pounds. A 35 pound draw bow is not appropriate for deer hunting, because the deer can move while such a slow moving arrow is in flight, or the arrow might not cause a fatal wound due to lack of penetration . This can result in a wounded deer that will escape to die slowly or live as a cripple. I dare say that no member of the Bowhunters of Alabama would stoop to use such an anemic weapon. In addition, limiting the use of the crossbow discriminates against women and elderly men because the majority of them are unable to draw and hold a drawn conventional bow long enough to have a realistic chance of bagging a deer. With cocking aids or a mechanical device to cock a crossbow, it is possible for anyone, including a 12 year old or a person with only one arm, to hunt during bow season.
Today, with the number of Alabamians who purchase hunting licenses shrinking every year, we need to encourage new hunters or old hunters no longer capable of hunting with a conventional bow, to take up the sport. A large portion of our conservation work is funded by the purchase of hunting licenses. Liberalizing the rules concerning crossbows is a wonderful way to introduce new blood into the bow hunting population, both men and women, and a way to get many old timers to return to the sport. The rules put into effect in Georgia have substantially increased the number of people participating in the sport of bow hunting there.
Compound bow hunters like to say that the crossbow is not a real bow. What is a real bow? The current crop of 90% let-off compound bows, with their F-16 type holographic sights and high tech releases and space age mechanical broadheads bear little resemblance to the longbow that was state of the art a generation ago. The complaint by conventional bow hunters that the use of crossbows increases killing range is simply not true. The effective range of a crossbow is certainly not greater than a conventional bow and is probably less because the projectile is shorter and lighter than a conventional arrow and the shorter string length limits the energy that is transferred to the bolt or arrow. Hunting statistics collected in the first two years after the crossbow became legal in the state of Georgia demonstrate that the success rate for crossbows is slightly less than that of hunters using conventional bows. As a matter of fact, the Georgia Department of Conservation is very encouraged with the number of new hunters that the crossbow has introduced to the sport.
The problems that result from a quickly expanding deer population, including loss of farm crops, as well as damage to shrubbery and lawns in the suburbs, are serious, as well as complaints by auto insurance companies about skyrocketing costs of deer-auto wrecks. These accidents result in physical injuries and death, as well as damage to vehicles. We need to increase deer hunters, not reduce them due to the aging of the hunting population. We need to increase the number of hunters in the woods to reduce the growth of the deer herd! Legalizing the crossbow for hunting will, without question, increase the hunting population as well as increase the number of deer bagged.
With the added benefits of leveling the playing field for women and older men, I appeal to you to allow this liberalization of crossbow use to go into force this season.

Thanks, Allen O’Dell
5363 County Road 43
Clanton, Al. 35045
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

VERY WELL PUT......

Very reasoned and articulate..

You covered all the bases..

What is next??
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
wabi

Post by wabi »

A very good presentation of facts!
I'll be waiting to hear of the final decision on the issue, and certainly hope it's to permit the crossbow as archery!
wabi
Fur & Feathers

Post by Fur & Feathers »

Very well said Striper. I applaud your efforts in Alabama & hope they bear fruit. Your argument touched on the most important issues & was right on. How long before you know the outcome?
Get out & Enjoy.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Sounds good to me also.
Good luck.

Grey Owl
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Excellent statement of the facts and a very well argued case for the use of crossbows. This should be the standard arguement for all the left over states and provinces that aren't on board yet...just may need to be tweaked/personalised a little to correspond to local realities.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

deleted

LW
Last edited by LoneWolf on Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
striper

Post by striper »

Fur and feathers: I will be able to answer that next week; I am going to try to contact some members of the Legislative review Committee and see what I can find out. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.

Post by Guest »

Good for you Striper!! Well done!!

Perhaps you and your group of fellow x-bow hunters, along with Woody's group of proponents will see if you can help out your fellow Americans in Vermont. 8)

I promise you it would be like smashing your head in to a brick wall. :cry: Legalizing it for all is not even an issue.

Unless your shoulder is busted up, or some type of silmilar disabling condition exists, crossbow are illegal for hunting.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Some day Carl... some day..
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

striper,

You made the hit parade over at bowsite with your remarks.

One of them came over and did a copy and paste job on your remarks to the Alabama forum.

You did good....
Woody Williams