Stripped Out Screw Heads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chilly_willy

Stripped Out Screw Heads

Post by chilly_willy »

Stripped out 3 of the button head screws next to the limb bolts. I was going to install air brakes. I know you get longer screws with air brakes. Tried the local hardware stores but can't find any. Anyone out there have suggestions?? Thanks.
paulaboutform

Re: Stripped Out Screw Heads

Post by paulaboutform »

Take a dremel tool and cutting wheel and carefully cut a slit in the button head. Use a flat screwdriver to get it out.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I found that if I get one to loosen I can twist the metal strap at the same time I turn my allen wrench and the 2'nd one breaks free pretty easily.
As far as replacing them, I called Danny Miller and had him send me a half dozen of them in case it happens again. I have since swapped the air breaks from my 310 to my 330 and had to replace another one.. still have 4 new ones and a couple more that are still usable. They can really be a pain in the butt!
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....i just read where using a rubber band can held with a stripped screw....place the with of the RB over the stripped hole and try again with screwdriver or drill....(not tried myself....just read about it!)

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
mbc4

Post by mbc4 »

take a drill bit about the same diameter, drill just deep enough to pop off the heads, take drill bit out of drill use back side to pop off heads, then use vise grips to unscrew. and don't use loctite when u replace. :wink:
better an overkill than an underkill
vortex,vixenmaster string
2219s, abc steel sonics
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Pauls tip about the dremel tool is a good one, the heads are stripped anyway. When you go back, a torx head screw helps much.I also use 100% clear silicone as a thread locker ( caulk)instead of Loctite. Keeps screw from backing out but you can take them out no problem. Good luck
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I've removed stripped allen head screws by using a 1/4" drive Torx bit socket just slightly larger than the allen head and tapping the bit into the screw head with a hammer, then put the ratchet on and it comes right out. The extra edges on the Torx gives the bit a good bite on the screw.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Kegbelly wrote:I've removed stripped allen head screws by using a 1/4" drive Torx bit socket just slightly larger than the allen head and tapping the bit into the screw head with a hammer, then put the ratchet on and it comes right out. The extra edges on the Torx gives the bit a good bite on the screw.
Great idea Keg. :D
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Kegbelly wrote:I've removed stripped allen head screws by using a 1/4" drive Torx bit socket just slightly larger than the allen head and tapping the bit into the screw head with a hammer, then put the ratchet on and it comes right out. The extra edges on the Torx gives the bit a good bite on the screw.
Kegbelly I've done the same thing it actually worked great especially if you don't have a Dremmal Tool.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Hester0305 wrote:
Kegbelly I've done the same thing it actually worked great especially if you don't have a Dremmal Tool.
X2 on that one !!!
ironhorse

Post by ironhorse »

flightattendant100 wrote:Pauls tip about the dremel tool is a good one, the heads are stripped anyway. When you go back, a torx head screw helps much.I also use 100% clear silicone as a thread locker ( caulk)instead of Loctite. Keeps screw from backing out but you can take them out no problem. Good luck
Excellent info especially about the clear silicone. Im glad Im not the only one who stripped these out while removing them. Any idea where you can get these bolts with a Torx head or even a socket cap instead of the button head. My Fastenal store has every other bolt I need (some have to be ordered) but not these shouldered bolts. Thanks!!
Burky Custom Blackout 380, BD380 Realtree Xtra, Suppressor Realtree Xtra, Custom SS355 Blackout, SS315 Black and Camo, SSLM Prototype Black and Camo, Orion 175 Extreme Black SE, Orion 175 Extreme Black SE, Custom Black and Silver Ventilator 135
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Got a stripped screw remover (Craftsman) some time ago. One actually removes existing screw-slot with one side of the tool, then uses the other side to extract the screw. It's threads bit into the screw 'pocket', created with the previously mentioned tool, and out it comes.
May be a good idea to loosen the loc tite, if any, with heat prior to attempting screw removal. Tap a tight fitting bit into the screw slot, use a small butane torch to heat bit, transfers to screw, softens LT.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!