Help a dummy understand an arrow/bolt please.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Chefrific

Help a dummy understand an arrow/bolt please.

Post by Chefrific »

So I'm looking at a website that builds arrows and bolts. I'm looking at building some black eagle zombie's

I have no idea what to choose or why when it comes to some of the options they ask about.

1. Vane Setback. They give the option of choosing a vane setback from 1/2" to 1 3/8". I have no idea what this is or what is best.

2. Fletching Orientation. I understand that this has to be how the fletchings are oriented on the bolt, but what should I choose and why. They offer:
RH offset, RH helical, LH Helical and straight. Again, I have no idea.

3. How to choose and insert. They offer 92g brass glue in, and 110g brass glue in. They also have an option for "optional weight system for glue in inserts" that range from 10 to 100 grains.

And last but not least,

4. Length. How do I choose the best length?

Shooting micro and 125g mechanical heads.

Thanks for any info.
-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex
xcaliber

Re: Help a dummy understand an arrow/bolt please.

Post by xcaliber »

Vane set back is distance from the tail end of the Bolt. 1 3/8"
RH helical should be good
110 grains glue in for 100 grain heads, 92 if you plan to use heavier
I like mine short, 15", stock are 16.5".
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Getting into 'why' will take a little longer so here is the 'what'.
-16.5" Arrow length
-92 grain brass inserts (glue in)
-1" set back
-2" blazer vanes
-Right helical
-Plastic nocks

I don't know where you're having your arrows built but I highly recommend you contact Big John here on the forum. He's a custom arrow builder in Ontario, Canada and can also help with recommendations of arrows for whatever you're trying to attain. Many on this forum can attest to the high quality of arrows you can expect from him, including me. His prices are too low for the service he's providing in my opinion. He will weigh every component and all your arrows will be perfectly grain matched on a high quality scale that is calibrated frequently to ensure quality performance. I do all this with my own arrows and can tell you that it's time consuming and tedious. I wouldn't do it for someone else simply because of the amount of time and effort required. Combine the quality of John's arrows with more than reasonable prices and a 20% - 30% gain you'll have using American funds and I don't think you'd get a better bang for your buck.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

paulaboutform wrote:
I don't know where you're having your arrows built but I highly recommend you contact Big John here on the forum. He's a custom arrow builder in Ontario, Canada and can also help with recommendations of arrows for whatever you're trying to attain. Many on this forum can attest to the high quality of arrows you can expect from him, including me. His prices are too low for the service he's providing in my opinion. He will weigh every component and all your arrows will be perfectly grain matched on a high quality scale that is calibrated frequently to ensure quality performance. I do all this with my own arrows and can tell you that it's time consuming and tedious. I wouldn't do it for someone else simply because of the amount of time and effort required. Combine the quality of John's arrows with more than reasonable prices and a 20% - 30% gain you'll have using American funds and I don't think you'd get a better bang for your buck.

Paul
X1000!!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
chuckinator

Post by chuckinator »

Dude all due respect. You don't seem like you are ready for custom arrows. Stock arrows would suite you just fine. Go online ,google information about arrows and educate yourself first!
"Adapt, Overcome and Prevail"
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

chuckinator wrote:Dude all due respect. You don't seem like you are ready for custom arrows. Stock arrows would suite you just fine. Go online ,google information about arrows and educate yourself first!
The thing is, you're paying top dollar for very mediocre arrows. They will kill whatever at hunting ranges but are not in the same ballpark as a good quality built custom arrow. I say spend your money wisely and reap the benefits of the pinpoint accuracy your bow is capable of. You'll get much more satisfaction in the short and long-term.

Paul
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

I build my arrows for my bow
When you look at cost of building testing to find a good match it adds up quick
As far as bolts I stay stock bolts
I have customized a few which were for special hunts
I will say what a man told me most here know him (Danny Miller)
"There is a reason they are stock they have been tested and were the best match for crossbow"
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Custom all the way. Once you hunt for a spell using archery equipment, you just have to tighten the zone. I'm just a fanatic when it comes to hunting, and by nature a control nut. I would recommend making your own, but if you don't have time, or the patience, get a good builder that has done their share of shooting, and hunting to make what has worked for them, for you. You will never look back!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

kd8jgu wrote:I build my arrows for my bow
When you look at cost of building testing to find a good match it adds up quick
As far as bolts I stay stock bolts
I have customized a few which were for special hunts
I will say what a man told me most here know him (Danny Miller)
"There is a reason they are stock they have been tested and were the best match for crossbow"
Perhaps I can rephrase that. "They are the best deal we got while maintaining adequate accuracy"....from a company perspective.. They simply are not the best choice. They are adequate....and that's okay because some are okay with adequate.
I've seen adequate 3" groups at forty or fifty yards with stock arrows and one to one and a half inch groups at fifty yards with custom built arrows.

Paul
Chefrific

Post by Chefrific »

chuckinator wrote:Dude all due respect. You don't seem like you are ready for custom arrows. Stock arrows would suite you just fine. Go online ,google information about arrows and educate yourself first!

Well Chuck, All due respect, but I'm trying to educate myself. Thanks for the constructive criticism.

To you other gentleman, thanks for your input. I take pride in my equipment and want to understand every single aspect of it. Really appreciate all the tips and feedback I get from the members of this forum.
-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Used to build my own.....until I found Black Eagle Executioners. Not only a great arrow but the few pennies I save making my own don't offset the hassle and time involved.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
bubba

Post by bubba »

Chefrific, X-2 on what Paul said, Custom arrows are the way to go.. They are just better... And Big John makes them like no other..Don't let the neg, posts, get to ya, There always gonna be one out there. Also South Shore Archery and Jerry makes some fine arrows too. And he is in Tampa Fl,..Get ya some customs for sure.. You will be glad ya did.....
Last edited by bubba on Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Big John

Post by Big John »

The only thing I will say on this is:
Every bow shoots different arrows matched to it better! Stock over the counter arrows are all the same for every bow. No matching.
It's a one size fits all solution ; custom arrows are just what they say. Made to match your bow, your heads, your shooting distances, etc. Personalization!

Big John

And yes, Stock arrows also kill animals just fine. Most of the time. :wink:
Last edited by Big John on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]

Post by newbie »

Here is an example of little differences with custom built. The arrow with green vanes is not spine indexed the other two are. 20 to 30 yards they all grouped about the same. This was at 40 sighting in my scope aiming the cross hair at the black dot above on the wood. 16.5 " original Spynal Tapps all are weight matched at 277 grains before tips, only difference is indexing. Image
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I just wanted to clarify, when I say custom arrows I'm referring to arrows you build yourself or have built specially for you.

Paul