Factory Trigger Mod

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flightattendant100

Re: Factory Trigger Mod

Post by flightattendant100 »

Reducing the amount of sear engagement on an Excal trigger is DANGEROUS!!!!!. The rifle triggers you have worked over are holding 10-12 lbs. of pressure from a spring. The Excal trigger is holding 200+ lbs. from the limbs!!!! It is not safe with minimal sear engagement!!! You will shoot your eye out! Please trash your set screw, it may get you or someone else hurt! Not trying to be an arse, but don't want to see anyone hurt. The other guys are sugar coating it, this is a FU waiting to happen!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Just buy a Trigger Tech and go hunting!! ;)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Just buy a Trigger Tech and go hunting!! ;)
X2
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

flightattendant100 wrote:Reducing the amount of sear engagement on an Excal trigger is DANGEROUS!!!!!. The rifle triggers you have worked over are holding 10-12 lbs. of pressure from a spring. The Excal trigger is holding 200+ lbs. from the limbs!!!! It is not safe with minimal sear engagement!!! You will shoot your eye out! Please trash your set screw, it may get you or someone else hurt! Not trying to be an arse, but don't want to see anyone hurt. The other guys are sugar coating it, this is a FU waiting to happen!

Wow! This seems to be quite an emotionally charged topic. I respectfully disagree with you. I design / fabricate products for a living. I think I've got the mechanics and material properties down pretty well.
Also please note that I generally make it a practice to not point a loaded crossbow at my eye. I suggest that is unsafe now matter what trigger you have in your bow.
However, I am though defending it. I will post no more.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Cool post. Love the pics to see the workings of the trigger unit. But think I will leave me Exomax trigger as is. Although I think it could be a bit smoother to release, I shoot it with great accuracy. These are dangerous instruments, and I prefer to have more margin of safety. I know the engagement needs to be fairly small. However, I would hate to have this thing go off when I don't want it too.
Exomax
Easton 2219 bolts
150 grain Bolt cutters
strum

Post by strum »

Also please note that I generally make it a practice to not point a loaded crossbow at my eye. I suggest that is unsafe now matter what trigger you have in your bow.

good call :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....ShadyTree, I believe that you conducted yourself in a very mature manner with regard to this thread....it would seem that you would have a lot to offer in the forum...I would hope that you would reconsider leaving the forum...a pro/con dialogue among members is healthy....

....I also understand the responses which you received from other members who have been around a while...concerns centered around safety issues (whether apparent or actual), warranty issues and novices who think they know more than they do....

.....it's all good, hope to see you around in future posts!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

amythntr wrote:....ShadyTree, I believe that you conducted yourself in a very mature manner with regard to this thread....it would seem that you would have a lot to offer in the forum...I would hope that you would reconsider leaving the forum...a pro/con dialogue among members is healthy....

....I also understand the responses which you received from other members who have been around a while...concerns centered around safety issues (whether apparent or actual), warranty issues and novices who think they know more than they do....

Very well said. I think everyone here is safety conscious so it will always spark some debate when there may be concern. I agree with Anthony about hoping you stick around, this is a great place to share ideas, learn things, and every once in a while engage in some healthy disagreements. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bigrak

Post by bigrak »

Interesting post, ShadyTree.
Thanks for sharing!
Matrix 405 Mega, Hawke XB30 SR Pro
trigger tech, Dr Stirrup ' Tac Pac
BEE 20" 429gr. NAP spitfires 100gr. Ignitors
BD400 XB30 SR PRO DR. Stirrup.
New 420TD Assassin
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Just as an FYI, opening up your trigger and playing with it will void your warranty and we do not recommend you do so. The problem I have seen in the past is if you get too carried away with filing the trigger sear to reduce creep you could create a trigger that will fire on its own. If somebody gets hurt due to an altered trigger that obviously would be a huge issue for us and the person that altered the trigger.

Although I understand the need to tinker please, remember that the trigger is one of the most important components of a crossbow as it determines when an arrow is shot. Safety should always be the main consideration when anybody works on their crossbow.

As much as we love all our customers we just can't be responsible for somebody altering their trigger. If you have an issue with your trigger please send it to us and we will fix it at no charge.

Thanks,

Peter
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

And now you know the rest of the story. :mrgreen:

I grew up listening to Paul Harvey on the radio while I was milking cows :lol:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

BrotherRon wrote:And now you know the rest of the story. :mrgreen:

I grew up listening to Paul Harvey on the radio while I was milking cows :lol:

....them's be da days....we have a client who was Paul Harvey's producer...he said Paul was the nicest man you would ever want to meet....

....and Peter thank you for jumping in on this.....

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
bubba

Post by bubba »

amythntr wrote:....ShadyTree, I believe that you conducted yourself in a very mature manner with regard to this thread....it would seem that you would have a lot to offer in the forum...I would hope that you would reconsider leaving the forum...a pro/con dialogue among members is healthy....

Well Anthony we have our differences... But i can't agree more.... ShadyTree i feel it would be a loss to this forum if you stopped posting.. Just turn the other cheek, Its just a thing..We can get along buddy.....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Seafermiles

Post by Seafermiles »

Stick around Shady, Please. It is obvious you are a cut above with your engineering and machining skills. However, not everybody is in that boat. I am a machinist and I can see exactly what you have done. Will I do the mod, probably not, the trigger is just fine the way it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If anything I will just polish up the fingers, next winter.
Safely if of utmost importance and something everybody is in tune to, as you can see from all the very good posts on this Thread. When you mod something it is for you only, and not for everybody, but OK to share what you have done.
Sea Ya

Matrix 330, AirBrakes, Reds, Cheek Piece, Ex-tender
Smokepolehall Flemish String
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Wow ...remember dont talk about god.religion. politics. And triggers on the forum...dont run off shady. I liked the post . Some of us have trouble with scope mount screws. We dont need any pushing on something that advanced. I understand you. Its just a touchy subject.. lol
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.