2-7x or 3-9x? Opinions...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

awshucks

Re: 2-7x or 3-9x? Opinions...

Post by awshucks »

You want to shoot 25 yards adjust it to that, you want to shoot it 100 yards , adjust it to that .
If you get tired of all that adjing, just set it to "infinity" [looks like a figure '8' sideways]

I have nada but AO scopes on my rifles, in all honesty, don't think it's important on an xbow....../
"Eze 18:21"
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

awshucks wrote:
You want to shoot 25 yards adjust it to that, you want to shoot it 100 yards , adjust it to that .
If you get tired of all that adjing, just set it to "infinity" [looks like a figure '8' sideways]

I have nada but AO scopes on my rifles, in all honesty, don't think it's important on an xbow....../
I agree its not important if you want to run "Normal" crossbow scope power settings, and shoot at "Normal" crossbow ranges. At 2x-3x you wont be bothered by parallax. Now if you run 9x at shorter ranges you can sure have problems. However, if you are running 9x at 100yrds., and the scope comes from factory with Parallax set at 100 yrds., you shouldn't have a problem.
What Leupold did for paulaboutform, is to set parallax at a mid level, a compromise so to speak. This should work fine. Leupold folks know their stuff. And this may be the best way to correct problem.
Also, if eye remains directly centered in scope, there is no parallax, so stock fit-cheek weld is important as well.
Shooting crossbows to 100 yrds is kind of a new and unusual game. I'm not sure any of the scope makers have taken into account all the needs this gets into. Having an Adjustable Objective just lets you take care of it before its a problem. I don't(haven't yet) shot past 50, and 50 is a long way. You guys shooting at 100, and shooting wel,l amaze me and inspire me . It still amazes me to shoot 50 and have the arrow smack the same hole as the last two or three shots.Thanks :D
SEW

Post by SEW »

I agree with the previous post. Only exception is I'd change "normal" crossbow range to "traditional " crossbow range. With the increased speeds, extreme accuracy with the modern crossbow, excellent arrows and optics, and very accurate range determination, the 20-40 yards of 20-30 years ago can be easily doubled just as compound vbows can. I don't have yesteryear's crossbow nor do I limit myself to yesterday's ranges. I shoot to 100 yards but don't like to have to make the movement to dial in the Optimizer and certainly wouldn't want to also adjust an AO. Currently, to get the optical advantages I want (Duralyt lighted 2-8) , I accept the Optimizer. As stated previously, using lower power or any power if the eye is centered on the scope objective, parallex won't be a problem. Putting these thoughts and previously expressed comments together, what could be better than an XB75 with 50 yd parallex, a FireFly type reticle, and a 100 yd reticle? I think such a scope would appeal to the widest spectrum of users.
Your thoughts?
SEW

Post by SEW »

I have a Matrix with a Duralyt and one with an XB75. I'll take the Duralyt if I'm staying until the end of the day but the XB75 otherwise (rarely). Normally hunt evenings.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

So SEW, you have not seen any adverse effect from parallax at 100y? And you find 8x to be enough mag?

I like your idea for a dial-free 100y reticle, but they are so dependent on magnification being set to have the proper reticle subtensions. It pretty much locks you into a certain mag and with faster bows, this means high mag which I don't want want at close range. What I like about the HHA is the ability to change magnification as the circumstances dictate, I don't mind the range-dial-shoot method, but it has two serious drawbacks: the extra movement and it can be time consuming. But with the speed I'm shooting and the ranges I will hunt, a 30y zero gives me minute of deer accuracy out to 40y.

Side note: here is what I'd like to see to eliminate what I deem the HHA's adverse effects, namely the extra weight and higher cheek weld it necessitates. Eliminate the scope rail and integrate the picatinny rail with the top of the tigger box. This would reduce weight and lower the position of the scope. An arrow retainer would be fastened to the underside of the scope mount and an ADF could be integrated into the trigger unit itself. (Patent Pending) :lol:

Here is what I would buy for an HHA setup if money were no object, (my wife reminds me that it is). The Leupold VX6 in 2-12x40. It is like getting three VXR scopes in one, but paying for those three scopes and only getting one :lol: It has an amazing 6x zoom, so it offers the greatest amount of variability. It's like a 2-7x, 3-9x and 4-12x in one package and it features the Firedot which I like a lot. It's a long scope, but weighs in around 16oz and you can top them off with the Leupold Custom Dial System to tack on more elevation than the HHA provides. It sounds perfect for my application, but very cost prohibitive and it's not an adjustable objective scope.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits