cant wait

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcat

cant wait

Post by bobcat »

hi all. new guy here. Sort of new to crossbows. I have played with a few but never owned one. I had trouble with my shoulder last year and couldnt archery hunt with my regular bow. I borrowed a crossbow to hunt with but only went a few times. Somehow i couldn't get over the whole "cheater bow " thing. then i shot a micro 335 and even if my shoulder gets better i dont know if i will go back to vert other than bowfishing.
that little crossbow just feels so sweet. I dont have it yet. but will be buying it in a week or so. I have a few newb questions. I see alot of talk about different custom arrows and inserts. i wont be shooting over 40 yards when hunting. Do i need "custom" arrows? the place im buying the bow from offers a discount on all accessories bought at the same time you get your bow. so i planned on stocking up on the quills as long as they shoot ok.
i have been reading alot about broadheads. i like mechanicals and shoot rage from my vert. i was thinking about the 125 rage crossbow head or also heard good things about the spitfires?
any help would be great.
xbowrook

Re: cant wait

Post by xbowrook »

congrats and welcome to the forum.. I doubt you will need anything custom, however customizing certain things such as bolts will only increase your accuracy.. I shoot an axiom smf ( never shot the micros but held one, man they are sweet) and with stock everything other than my string ( custom made by Dan aka xcaliber on here) I am shooting dead nuts bulls eye out to 30 yards ( haven't shot past that yet).. heck , I even shot my very first robin hood last night.. these things are so accurate and fast, doubt you will need anything special.. but there are so many very, very knowledgeable pro's on here, they will gladly advise more on what can be done.. all the best .. and hey, post some pics on here once you get your new toy..
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Get at least a dozen arrows, remember that at some point you will need more, and there are many good deals on arrows that are readily available. The stock work great, but can be pricy. If your dealer offers Black Eagles as an alternative, jump on them. I am trying Spitfires this fall, but there are a lot of fixed heads that are fail safe that work just fine too. I'm not a Rage fan, but that's just me.

Welcome, and good luck, great choice! 8)
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard, and congrats on a fine choice :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Boo

Post by Boo »

Only a very small minority use custom stuff. The reality of it all is that, the kit will kill deer at normal ranges all day long.
You'll hear lots of good and bad reports on Rages and mostly good on Spitfires.
The Quills work very well, not as good as some up grades and you might have to cull the odd one. No biggie.
Have fun and welcome to the forum!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome to the forum. :D The rages are not one of the better performers but there are a lot of great choices available. The stock quills are adequate but honestly, for the same price or slightly less you can get top quality custom arrows that are far superior in every way. If you have the ability to make your own arrows look into Black Eagle Zombie Slayers, all others are measured against them. 2" Blazers and brass inserts and you're good to go....using the Arizona-Rim E-Z Fletch Bolt. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

thanks for the replys guys! im looking forward to owning, shooting and hunting with this thing! Now you got me thinking about custom arrows again. :lol:
Who has a tack driving 335 who cares to share their hunting arrow set up?
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I recently sold my 335 but only due to an overwhelming desire to get another Matrix. I was shooting Black Eagle Zombie Slayer's at 15" length with 92 grains of brass in the snout, and 100 grain heads. There are many combinations that will be fine, the Micro is not picky.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bubba

Post by bubba »

Not a Rage fan either.. And as mentioned the stock quills will work fine, but customs just out performs them, I too would much rather shoot the spitfires, a true tested performer.. And Congrats on your up and coming bow, and welcome to the forum....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
SEW

Post by SEW »

My son and I each killed deer with Rages the year they first came out. Spectacular kills, at first. Then got great blood trails that just ran out. I never lost a deer to a Rage but came close. He lost deer to every new model of Rage. I hate Rages. Between my son and me, we've killed over 50 deer with Spitfires with no losses. Appx 15 deer with FOCs with no losses but with spectacular kills. I'd consider the SF with the Micro.
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Welcome I shoot 15 in quills and zombies with 110 gr brass and 125 gr montecs Can't tell a lot of difference out to 30 yrds but the zombies seem to hold up better
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only