Scope Decision Time

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SLP82

Scope Decision Time

Post by SLP82 »

Ok, so I will be honest, I am a little nervous about using the supplied deadzone or varizone scope that will be supplied with the Matrix Grizzly and Matrix 330 (I bought both). I want to have this whole setup ready to go for hunting season, and I personally have decided I don't want to take a chance on the factory scopes. I know many of you have not had problems, but I still would prefer to change it. Now that being said, I don't want to drop Leupold "coin" on a scope. So what are my best options for something better than the factory scopes but not spending Leupold money. Nikon? Hawke?
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
nchunterkw

Re: Scope Decision Time

Post by nchunterkw »

Nothing wrong with the factory scopes. Why would you be nervous?
If you want to upgrade fine, but don't think there is anything wrong with the Excal stuff. I personally like finer adjustment than 2MOA so I have updated to Hawke optics on both my bows.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
bubba

Post by bubba »

Both would be good choices..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
wabi

Post by wabi »

You're in the US, so I'd call Danny Miller and see if he would be receptive to taking the factory scope and upgrading to a Leupold for some added coin.

I had a scope failure and Danny allowed me to send in my defective Vari-zone along with a check for the difference in price to upgrade to Leupold.

Haven't has any regrets, and I can vouch for Leupold dependability!

As for the brands you mentioned, Hawke is the only scope I own. I do have a set of Nikon binoculars, though.

The Hawke scope did NOT impress me! Optic quality was not what I expected by the reviews I've read. For me there is a bit of difficulty getting a clear view at dawn & dusk, and I pick up a lot of reflected light (images) in the ocular lens. I'd just stick with the Excal optics if that was my only option.

The Nikon binoculars have good optics, but I thought the overall construction felt a bit "flimsy", so I gave them to my son and bought a set of Leupold binoculars for myself. :roll: :lol: :lol:
wabi
SLP82

Post by SLP82 »

wabi wrote:You're in the US, so I'd call Danny Miller and see if he would be receptive to taking the factory scope and upgrading to a Leupold for some added coin.

I had a scope failure and Danny allowed me to send in my defective Vari-zone along with a check for the difference in price to upgrade to Leupold.

As for the brands you mentioned, Hawke is the only scope I own. I do have a set of Nikon binoculars, though.

The Hawke scope did NOT impress me! Optic quality was not what I expected by the reviews I've read. For me there is a bit of difficulty getting a clear view at dawn & dusk, and I pick up a lot of reflected light (images) in the ocular lens. I'd just stick with the Excal optics if that was my only option.

The Nikon binoculars have good optics, but I thought the overall construction felt a bit "flimsy", so I gave them to my son and bought a set of Leupold binoculars for myself. :roll: :lol: :lol:
Good to know about Danny. I just keep hearing good things about him. I didn't buy my crossbows from him though. I will probably just put them for sale cheap on ebay and go ahead and buy a new scope and re-coop the little money later. I agree with you on the ability to gather light at low light... honestly I am not sure why I am wanting to go cheaper on the scope on my excalibur... all of my rifles have Leupold on them. I guess I should just fork up the money and do it right the 1st time.
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

So far I like the two excalibur scopes I have.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
strum

Post by strum »

Dont know whats on the grizzly but the Varizone is a solid scope.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

strum wrote:Dont know whats on the grizzly but the Varizone is a solid scope.
x2
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

X3.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

x4 You need to 'chat' w/ Danny asap....doesn't matter to him where you bought what at and he's been known to deal some.
"Eze 18:21"
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....take a gander at Natchez Shooters Supply in your Scope search....

....here is the link:

http://www.natchezss.com/optics/archery-scopes.html

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
SLP82

Post by SLP82 »

Depending on which crossbow I decide to keep, the Grizzly came with a "deadzone" and the Matrix 330 came with the varizone. I am leaning towards keeping the Matrix 330 honestly. One of my friends is itching to buy which ever I don't want (crossbow). Honestly both feel solid and the performance difference is negligible on paper. Even though it makes no difference, I really like the idea of the aluminum frame.

I will definitely talk to Danny then if that is the case. I need to order his buffer, arrow puller, HD stringing aid, and an extra string.

I might give the varizone a chance for one season and see how it does. I could always upgrade it later. Guess it will kind of depend on the feedback I get from Danny... wouldn't mind his opinion as well.

Thank you all for your input!
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
SEW

Post by SEW »

I always have a backup crossbow, just in case. The M330 is likely the most dependable, reliable crossbow available. Hawke is a lot for the money. The SR Pro has a lot to offer. I use the Zeiss XB75 - like it a lot.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

wabi wrote:You're in the US, so I'd call Danny Miller and see if he would be receptive to taking the factory scope and upgrading to a Leupold for some added coin.

Hawke has really upped their game from the older models. I have no trouble with my older XB1 and my newer XB30 was impressive the other night at 8:57pm.
As was said earlier they offer a lot for the money. Something you might keep in mind as a new crossbow shooter is that in hunting situations you will not be shooting "rifle distances". So factor that I to the equation.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Here is my opinion on the scopes. The Varizone is solid never had one go bad to send back to Danny's, i have 3 of them. Never owned a Deadzone nor looked thru one. I am abit of a tightwad, but i sprung fer a super new Zeiss XB75 crossbow scope to put on Marie Laveau
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315