Brace Height help for new Excalibur owner

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cibby

Brace Height help for new Excalibur owner

Post by Cibby »

I just got my first Excalibur last week a Grizzly. So far I've had 2 shooting sessions with it. Love the way it shoots and how easy it is to cock. I've been reading about brace height which has left me a little confused. One is the Grizzly has no lines like many pictures I've seen of other models. The other is from my measurement it looks as if my Grizzly has a brace height of 1.5in. I have nothing on the limbs either. Will this brace height change the more I shoot and do I need to try and adjust it(if so how). Will this brace height cause any problems with the bow. I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
BrotherRon

Re: Brace Height help for new Excalibur owner

Post by BrotherRon »

I am sure some of the others here that own the Grizzly model will be able to let you know more than I can, since I don't own the Grizzly.
But one thing is for sure.... you will need a stringing aid. :wink:
You could call Danny Miller and ask him what your brace height should be, and also order a stringing aid and maybe an extra string from him.
He is the excalibur Guru/warranty guy that can answer any questions you have.
Danny Miller 740-483-2312

Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

If you bought it at a local bow shop I suggest you give them a call first an see if they have stringing aids as a stock item. If they do than bring the Grizzly in and have them give you demo on how to set up your brace height. Any good dealer if worth his salt should be able to help you out.
Should take less than 10 minutes in shop from start to first and have you ready to go shooting without any further delay.
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

I have the Cub,,,I have been playing around with Flemish and endless loop strings.My rail has a very hard to see line on the rail @ 1.5" In reading the manual it states that all Matrix models BH should be between 3/4 to 1.0",,I have painted a small white dot on the sides of my rail.BTW,,I am shooting a regular Matrix string,,which is what is on the Grizzly to give me more speed.In shooting the endless loop strings I have found that you will never reach that 1" BH,,,but in shooting a Flemish string,,I reached that 1 " BH,,,it even went down to 3/4 " BH.
I have been chronoing throughout my testing and the strange thing I have found is that I get more FPS at the higher 1.5" brace height,,, :roll: :?: It also shoots better overall at the higher brace height...and that's where I am going to leave it.Just kinduv confuses me,,,normally the closer BH,,,the faster it will shoot.
So,,hope this helps you out,,,,good luck with the Grizz,,and good luck in the tree :D
My advice to you is get a stringing aid and an extra string of your choice and leave that brace height up around that 1.5 " mark,,thats where you will get the best overall performance ! :D
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

If you need a str aid, call Danny, his are not Excal but are great. Ask him your bheight ??'s. Btw, he made the stock string if it's still on your bow....
"Eze 18:21"
Cibby

Post by Cibby »

Thanks for the great advice. I have a stringing aid ordered and a extra string from a Excalibur pro shop /warranty dealer. I bought my Grizzly at our newly opened Dunhams and they let me use the 20% off coupon I had. So I ended up getting $120 off the price. The young man in the archery dept. new nothing about crossbows I ended up explaining the different crossbows to him. They carry a few excal accessories but nothing like stringing aids and strings as you may figure from a store like this. I did however pickup a box of 6 Diablo arrows for the Grizzly there.
BobbyR

Post by BobbyR »

I also have a Grizzly, and everything that Justanuff has posted is exactly the same as I have found throughout my testing. It seems not to matter, the Grizzly/Cub series are both extremely accurate xbows. I cannot aim at the same target spot, even at 50 yards, because I end up ruining the nocks on the arrows.
I believe that you will be happy with your Grizzly. As the other posters say, get a stringing aid, whether it be the Danny Miller model or the Excal. model.
Best of luck.
Cibby

Post by Cibby »

So it seems the 1.5in brace is fine on the Grizzly I will have to mark the rail where it's at now. Happy to here you all get great accuracy with yours. I'll be shooting more once I finish my crossbow range next to the house. Also get my range set up on the hill. So far the shooting I've done the Grizzly has shown to be very accurate. Do you guys use the Diablo's with 150 gr tips or are you shooting a lighter field tip like 125gr or 100gr.
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

Cibby wrote:So it seems the 1.5in brace is fine on the Grizzly I will have to mark the rail where it's at now. Happy to here you all get great accuracy with yours. I'll be shooting more once I finish my crossbow range next to the house. Also get my range set up on the hill. So far the shooting I've done the Grizzly has shown to be very accurate. Do you guys use the Diablo's with 150 gr tips or are you shooting a lighter field tip like 125gr or 100gr.
I'm shootin Gold Tip Laser Pro II's cut down to 16.5 "..100 grain Tips and Lumenocks,,,weighin in @ 365grains,,385 with the Lumenocks,,,Blazer vanes,,,still have to shoot beyond 30 yards,,but they're in there 8)
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string