What things have you come across ,hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

StormDragon

Re: What things have you come across ,hunting

Post by StormDragon »

amythntr wrote:
StormDragon wrote:Found my kids boyfriend after a a recent turkey hunt I took him on.

Told him to move to a different position of the large wid rose bush we set up under/near when i heard a tom coming in from a different position and to take the gear with him that way he and it wouldnt be spotted. I pointed to the spot and and he proceeded to start to walk in front of me. Stopped him and told him to turn around and go around the bush.

A couple minutes pass and still no kid, it wasnt a big bush maybe 20feet long roughly. A couple more minutes pass and still no kid and then I noticed the gear is still where it "shouldnt be".

Well.... more time passes, no kid and the turkey stops calling/coming towards us so i call it quits. Considering I now have no idea where he is at and the turkey stopped i am both frustrated and confused.

I put my bow on the ground and go to start looking for him wondering what the hell happened to him.

As it turns out, he did start to go around the rose bush but stopped at the very end and stayed there (minus the gear).

Yeah.... this is only one of many "adventures" with him since I started taking him with me. I think its been about 7 times so far and not once has something "boring" happened. Kinda feel I have/need to keep taking him with me otherwise something really screwy could happen.

Our hunting episodes would probably make a great tv show too and none of it would be made up. The best part is is that he goes for his bow test this weekend (vert compound).

He's a good kid, treats my daughter right but.....LOL

....very important in the overall scheme of things George....now if he starts not treating her right....sounds like you would have no trouble making him "disappear" :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :)
LOL well as I told him in the beginning of the relationship.." I like you, keep it that way"
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I was hunkered down in my ladder bright and early one late fall day awaiting the buck I knew was there. I hear leaf noises coming my way but too steady for one deer, figured it was a doe and her suitor, 'my' buck. Instead out walks a COLLIE trailed by an orange cat, like the best of friends. They walked on as I chuckled. The buck came the next evening.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
SLP82

Post by SLP82 »

Me & my grandfather were hunting his property (over 250 acres) while sitting in a blind tucked back in the edge of this huge field. While sitting there in the blind, we observed a guy come walking into the field. I wanted to jump out with my .270 and find out what the hell he was doing but my grandfather told me to hold back. So we just watched. He made his way down to one of the feeders and then watched him start disassembling it. My grandfather called his next door neighbor who happens to be a sheriff out there, and he said he would come over. We just sat and watched as he took the feeder apart. Then walked across the field to the other feeder and disassembled that one as well. Well about that time the sheriff came walking back there and yelled at the guy and we stepped out the blind. The guy took off running through the woods. I went to go chase after him (the sheriff and my grandfather were older gentlemen and I was about 20 at the time) and the sheriff told me don't worry about it, he isn't going anywhere. So my grandfather asks him what do you mean? He says oh I saw his truck back down the trail here and it was unlocked so I put my two German shepherds inside :lol:

Also the guy was unarmed from what we saw, and the sheriff said he saw a rifle in the truck, but his dogs were keeping an eye on it :D

The guy didn't show back up while we were out there, but the sheriff called out another unit, had his truck towed and ran all his information and knew whom to go looking for.

I would have paid $100 to see that guys face once he circled back down to his truck through the woods and find two full grown German Shepherds sitting in his truck :lol:
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
deerskinner

Post by deerskinner »

Thats a good one SLP82! :lol: :lol: :lol: Ron!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I must have killed over a thousand ducks over the years. The only two ducks bands that I have on my lanyard came from the same duck. One was a normal band and one was a $10 reward band. I was only about 14 years old and $10 was more than a box of shells so it was like hitting the lottery to me at the time. The interesting part is that I didn't kill the duck. As I was walking a levee jump shooting I came upon a pile of feathers where a mink or other varmint had obviously made dinner out of a mallard. On the ground neatly to one side was one of the feet with both bands laying on the folded over grass next to it. Like needles in a haystack.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
rayman

Post by rayman »

DuckHunt wrote:I must have killed over a thousand ducks over the years. The only two ducks bands that I have on my lanyard came from the same duck. One was a normal band and one was a $10 reward band. I was only about 14 years old and $10 was more than a box of shells so it was like hitting the lottery to me at the time. The interesting part is that I didn't kill the duck. As I was walking a levee jump shooting I came upon a pile of feathers where a mink or other varmint had obviously made dinner out of a mallard. On the ground neatly to one side was one of the feet with both bands laying on the folded over grass next to it. Like needles in a haystack.

DuckHunt

While we were hunting together, a buddy of mine killed a pigeon that had multiple bands on its ankles. Ooopps!! :shock:
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

wow.. well, I have seen a bunch of cool things.. one year, it wasn't hunting season but I was out in stand just scouting.. saw some deer ( doe's and fawns) at about 40 yards and they were milling around, then they acted all nutty.. turned out there was a small pack of about 4 coyotes.. I watched the coyote's for a half hour trying to chorale these deer but never happened...
a few years back I was in stand and not much was happening.. I noticed this squirrel that was going nuts gathering beech nuts,acorns, etc.. watched him as he was running on a downed tree with a beech nut in his mouth then he comes to complete stop and freezes.. I look around thinking there may be a deer coming.. all of a sudden I see a white flash.. a big red tailed hawk dive bombed the squirrel.. watched the hawk stand there for a bit then fly off.. a few seconds later, here comes the squirrel back down a tree to gather the beech nut he dropped in the attack.. squirrel had about 1" of his tail left, hawk must have the rest..lol
about 4 years back, I was in the same stand as the squirrel attack.. noticed something huge flying through the bush.. after about a half hour, I see this thing fly and perch in a tree about 45 yards from me.. it's a huge owl.. well I am being as still as I can, looking through my bino's. what a beautiful bird.. then it takes off, I lose it in my bino's so I put them down.. only to notice it's flying right at me. it gets closer and closer, until it gets to about 10 yards and I jump up and wave my arms.. scared the hell out of both of us.. it flew off, perched in a tree beside me, looked at me funny for a bit then took off
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
deerskinner

Post by deerskinner »

One morning years ago I was gun hunting in my gun stand.It was really still and I
heard something that sounded like a cat close to my stand.I was looking around
and there was a brush pile next to my stand.Out of the brush pile I seen a small
fluffy little critter and I could,t make out what it was.Then I seen two more
on top on the pile! I figured out what it was it was the three baby bobcats!
I seen something coming toward the brush pile and it was their mom.The cat sound I heard was her calling them!That was a sight you don,t see everyday.
Lots better than watching them on T.V. :D Ron!
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I was out a few years ago checking one of my stands when I was attacked by a swarm of yellow jackets! I ran about a mile at warp 8 with these bees stinging me. I only got stung about 20 times. I stayed away from that stand the rest of the year. I was really hurting for a few weeks.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

deerskinner wrote:One morning years ago I was gun hunting in my gun stand.It was really still and I
and there was a brush pile next to my stand.Out of the brush pile I seen a small
I seen something coming toward the brush pile and it was their mom.The cat sound I heard was her calling them!That was a sight you don,t see everyday.
I bet she sounded kinda like a cross between a crow and a cat.... kinda like a "meeaaw" sound?
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Riflemanz wrote:I was out a few years ago checking one of my stands when I was attacked by a swarm of yellow jackets! I ran about a mile at warp 8 with these bees stinging me. I only got stung about 20 times. I stayed away from that stand the rest of the year. I was really hurting for a few weeks.
:shock: :shock:

I have a double ladderstand that I set up on a cold day, HUUUUGE tree. The first time I sat in it I found out that it had the biggest honey bee hive in it, right at head height. I consider it anti-theft, as long as the would-bee thieves come on a warm day! :mrgreen: that hive has been active for a long time now.

come to think of it,... I put bigjohn in that tree stand once. I don't think I warned him about that :shock:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
deerskinner

Post by deerskinner »

bobcat wrote:
deerskinner wrote:One morning years ago I was gun hunting in my gun stand.It was really still and I
I bet she sounded kinda like a cross between a crow and a cat.... kinda like a "meeaaw" sound?
It was a sound like I never heard in the woods,but I think you described it pretty good! Ron! :shock:
kysdad

Post by kysdad »

Back in my vertical days, I was in the stand when at very first light, I watched a spike come off the ridge after rubbing a tree, right down the trail that would eventually cross 15 yards in front of my stand. I wasn't picky during those years so I had instantly decided to take this "deer" as soon as it presented a shot. I came to full draw as he entered my shooting lane and started applying tension on the trigger of my release. I'm telling you that my release was CLOSE to opening when all of a sudden, that spike let out a very familiar "BAAAAA". Needless to say I did not release an arrow, but it was close. I had a very interesting discussion with the land owner at lunch time and many laughs have been shared since then. By the way...he lets me know whenever he brings in livestock and especially goats with a brown body and white belly. ;)
Matrix 350 LE
Spynal Tapps
Spitfires
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Still disturbing and don't know if this is the place but a young man that hung himself in the middle of nowhere. - Suicide. Very sad.
rayman

Post by rayman »

Shotnbeer wrote:Still disturbing and don't know if this is the place but a young man that hung himself in the middle of nowhere. - Suicide. Very sad.
I did not see this personally, nor was I hunting, but on a large, swampy, remote, coastal timber property I work on a man was found dead that had been left chained to a tree. This was about 20 years ago when I first worked on that tract. Never heard who the guy was, but it was thought to be drug related as there used to be a lot of smuggling by boat in that area. Kind of spooky to think that I could have been out there while that guy was still alive and chained to that tree.