Variable Power Single Reticle Scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wvnitroman

Variable Power Single Reticle Scope

Post by wvnitroman »

I have never been a fan of multi-reticle scopes whether it is on a rifle, bow, or handgun. I think they can cause confusion in the heat of the moment and could be a problem for my two young grandsons. Now on the road to purchasing my first crossbow (leaning toward the Matrix 355) seems as though this is the avenue that most crossbows manufactures take. Are there scopes for crossbows that are variable power, single reticle, with an adjustable turret? I really do not want to mortgage the house to get one. :shock:

God Bless,
Kevin
bubba

Re: Variable Power Single Reticle Scope

Post by bubba »

I say this for around 150.00 american dollars, the Nikon Bolt has got to be one of the best values out there for a crossbow specific scope. I got mine and an'it giving it up..SMILE... And by the way it's a 3x fixed power...
Last edited by bubba on Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I have a setup like this with a Leupold Mark AR Mod-1 and it's possible to get 20,30,40y on one turn of the dial. After that, you're looking at turning the dial multiple turns to get 50,60,70y... It becomes impractical after 40y because you'd have to keep close attention on the # of turns you've made and in a hunting situation, that's the difference between a dead and live animal. 1" tube scopes will run out of elevation so you're best to get a 30mm with enough elevation range. Your best bet is to get an HHA optimizer if you want a single aiming point and the ability to shoot accurately at extended ranges.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
SEW

Post by SEW »

The HHA Optimizer is a great way to go! Then many scopes are an option.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Option on scope is Heavy Duplex. Use yer main xhair fer 20 or 25 yds the the joint from thin to thick n see where it hits then you knowed its built in hold over. Usually around 10 yds
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

wvnitroman wrote:I have never been a fan of multi-reticle scopes whether it is on a rifle, bow, or handgun. I think they can cause confusion in the heat of the moment and could be a problem for my two young grandsons. Now on the road to purchasing my first crossbow (leaning toward the Matrix 355) seems as though this is the avenue that most crossbows manufactures take. Are there scopes for crossbows that are variable power, single reticle, with an adjustable turret? I really do not want to mortgage the house to get one. :shock:

God Bless,
Kevin
I feel the Matrix 355 is a perfect fit for any and all crossbow hunting needs. Selecting a Leupold scope for your Excalibur would be the best decision you will ever make. I bought my Leupold lightly used and only paid $125 including shipping off an auction site, so you don't have to break the bank.

Here is a picture of my Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm shotgun/muzzleloader NWTF edition scope with the Turkey Plex reticle on my Matrix 355. Its mounted with Leupold rifleman detachable low rings. I use the center reticle for 0-30 yards with a 25 yard zero set on 4x power. My scope offers stellar low light gathering characteristics during early morning, deeps woods and late evenings.

Ballistic reticles are too busy for my needs along with illumination. If I were to select a illuminated scope than the only choice would be a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33mm with FireDot Duplex reticle, but that comes at a greater cost.

Leupold Turkey Plex reticle

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
bubba

Post by bubba »

I would be one of the last people to bitch about a Leupold scope, other than the crossbones which i find is the bottom of the barrel. Own three Leupolds and they are a very decent scope. For my rifles..That they were made for.. Give me a good Crossbow specific scope any day.. Zeiss, or the Hawke XB-30 pro this years addition, for me they lead the way..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
wvnitroman

Post by wvnitroman »

So, Does anyone have any experience with the HHA Optimizer?
bubba

Post by bubba »

wvnitroman wrote:So, Does anyone have any experience with the HHA Optimizer?
Personally no. But i have heard nothing but good things about them. With one, a high dollar Leupold rifle scope would sure be a lot more practical....
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

You may want to keep inn mind that paralex for a rifle scope is usually set for 100 yards or more .. You may want to consider a scope designed specifically for a 22 cal rifle as it's paralex is set closer to ( usually 50 yards ) making it closer to the majority of X-bow scopes where paralax is concerned. Then go with the HHA as suggested.

just my $ .02
Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

wvnitroman wrote:So, Does anyone have any experience with the HHA Optimizer?
I use an HHA on my 380 with a heavy Duplex 2-7x33. It's a pretty awesome combination but costs a good bit to get setup. Everything I bought was used but in great condition, HHA was $120.00 and Leupold scope was $160.00. I really love the Heavy Duplex crosshair at dawn and dusk.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads