New Matrix 380 issues

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheSpillmonkey

New Matrix 380 issues

Post by TheSpillmonkey »

Hey all,

I just purchased my new Excalibur 380 xtra crossbow this week.

When I took it out of the box and assembled it, the string was digging into the string stoppers. I brought it to cabelas and they added a few twists to the string to straighten it out. They noticed however that the distance from the stopper to the string on the right stopper was quite a bit farther than on the left. They moved the stopper down a tad to even it out, but warned that I should watch it as it could be a limb problem if the string is that uneven. Even with it moved down like that, there is still a tad more space under that stopper than on the left one.

I took it out to shoot today, and noticed that both before cocking as well as after cocking that the serving is not centered on the crossbow. I am using the rope cocker. It miss-aligns at the same spot every time.

Any ideas?
Something I should take up with Excalibur? I was going to open a ticket.
xcaliber

Re: New Matrix 380 issues

Post by xcaliber »

Get on the left side of this page, look at the instructional videos, and reassemble the bow yourself. Make sure the rail is engaged correctly on the rail mounting, and go from there following EXCALIBUR'S instructions! Report back after that please.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
strum

Post by strum »

The bumper on the right side is not seated all the way (the metal stem i mean).. if you loosen the set screw under it you will be able to push it back.. these are not adjustable.
being that the string was smashing into the rubber part of bumpers they may be
out of shape.. measure the distance from the limb to the string at the same place on both sides . that will tell the tale.. as far as the serving off center..that's common as the serving may not have been centered on the string when it was made.. not really an issue. unless of course the limb "Till" is off a lot.
another way to check is to lay a square on the rail and see if the string is square. a little off isnt a big deal.
hope this helps.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

1-The string stretching is no problem, it is supposed to. The problem is your dealer should have sold you the stringing aid, it is essential.
2-because a string stretches the serving may not be centred as a result, or it could've been misaligned by the maker, regardless it won't noticeably affect accuracy. Now if you're anal retentive like me you'll want that addressed so look no further than the trading post and order yourself a good Flemish string from an established string maker.
3-using the bumpers as your reference is not how you would measure tiller, (the distance from the face of the limb to the string, measured on either side of the riser). It does from your photos look like you have a bow that is out of tiller, but that's because your bumpers aren't seated in the riser properly, follow strum's advice then I would measure tiller the proper way and go from there.

Post your findings.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

strum wrote:The bumper on the right side is not seated all the way (the metal stem i mean).. if you loosen the set screw under it you will be able to push it back.. these are not adjustable.
being that the string was smashing into the rubber part of bumpers they may be
out of shape.. measure the distance from the limb to the string at the same place on both sides . that will tell the tale.. as far as the serving off center..that's common as the serving may not have been centered on the string when it was made.. not really an issue. unless of course the limb "Till" is off a lot.
another way to check is to lay a square on the rail and see if the string is square. a little off isnt a big deal.
hope this helps.

what he said ^^^^^^^^^ :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
TheSpillmonkey

Post by TheSpillmonkey »

xcaliber wrote:Get on the left side of this page, look at the instructional videos, and reassemble the bow yourself. Make sure the rail is engaged correctly on the rail mounting, and go from there following EXCALIBUR'S instructions! Report back after that please.

Break down the limbs and reseat them too? I've reseated the main bow to the rail, but It seems it was seated well previously. I followed the video.

Good to know about the serving/string.

The Cabelas guy was the one who moved that right stopper down a bit. They were both flush originally. While it is flush, there is a Huge difference in the string distance between the two stoppers (way more of a gap on the right). If I push up on the right limb, everything evens out.
Seafermiles

Post by Seafermiles »

After drawing measure both sides from the limb tip to the very center of the stock at some point behind the trigger housing. They should be exactly the same. If not it could be the limbs are not a matched pair.
Sea Ya

Matrix 330, AirBrakes, Reds, Cheek Piece, Ex-tender
Smokepolehall Flemish String
TheSpillmonkey

Post by TheSpillmonkey »

Seafermiles wrote:After drawing measure both sides from the limb tip to the very center of the stock at some point behind the trigger housing. They should be exactly the same. If not it could be the limbs are not a matched pair.
I cocked the crossbow and very carefully measured (four times just to be sure) from the tip of each limb to the exact same central point on the rail of the crossbow.

The distance of the left limb to the center is a full 1/4 inch longer than the distance of the right limb to the center.
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

as much as I hate to say it.......and as much as I know you will hate to do it,
sounds like a warranty claim to me.

good money needs to be justified :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

If rail is in the groove correctly, then there is another issue. Warranty issue for sure.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
TheSpillmonkey

Post by TheSpillmonkey »

Well crap.

What's their turnaround time?
Know if they pick up shipping?

And thank you.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

TheSpillmonkey wrote:Well crap.

What's their turnaround time?
Know if they pick up shipping?

And thank you.

If I was you and just bought it at Cabelas this week then make it their issue. i.e.: Return Policy

Cheaper / Less Hassle and the quickest way to get back up and going.

http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/custser ... urnsPolicy

CC

CC
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
strum

Post by strum »

Yeah looks like a warranty if those limbs are off that much.
I agree Cabelas should swap it..if not the good news is Excalibur is fast and fair so you will be taken care of.
I see in the pic that you have a stringing aid so thats good :D
Like the others said it is a must have item..
As far as the Cabelas guy moving that bumper. It shows me he dont know what he is doing with these so dont let him feed you a line of crap.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Did you get both of your bumpers pushed into place and retiightened?
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Seafermiles

Post by Seafermiles »

It should go back to Cabela's for replacement. Defective merchandise. They will send it back and then get their money refunded.
Don't take NO for an answer from them for a direct replacement. If they don't have stock, have them refund your money.
Miss-matched limbs, you could have a 330 limb on one side and a 380 on the other on the other.
Demand a different bow, one way or the other.
Good Luck
Sea Ya

Matrix 330, AirBrakes, Reds, Cheek Piece, Ex-tender
Smokepolehall Flemish String