Budget: Buy best crossbow and slowly purchase accessories?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dpoisson

Budget: Buy best crossbow and slowly purchase accessories?

Post by dpoisson »

Hi!
I've been reading through posts on the forums for a couple of days now. I plan on purchasing a crossbow before the end of the year. I've been hunting moose for several years. I went for deer last year as well...but unfortunately, I only have 2 days for whitetail deer, with a blackpowder rifle. There is however, a 2 week bow/crossbow period as well ;-)

I don't think I'm a speed freak as far as crossbows goes (never owned/fired one). Same goes with rifles, I went with an old post WWII swedish mauser in 30-06 with a decent scope (a Nikon). Definitely not a "magnum" freak either as you can see hehe.

I've narrowed it down to an Excalibur (yay!). I've wanted one for a long time. I'm looking at both the Matrix Grizzly and the Matrix 330. The thing that tickles the back of my mind, is the synthetic frame on the grizzly. And the fact that the 330 is a bit lighter. However, I wouldn't mind "saving" 200$ :D I put the word saving in quotes, because since this would be my first crossbow, I would need to buy a couple of accessories: Case, extra bolts with lumenocks, a new scope, ADF system, wax, rail lube, bolt heads, spare string, R.E.D.S if needed (I think they come with it), etc.

I wouldn't want to purchase a Grizzly, get all the accessories, then upgrade the crossbow because I regret going with a SMF.

So what would be the best choice? Spending the bulk of my budget on the best crossbow I can buy and gradually purchase / upgrade accessories?

I don't plan on hunting with the crossbow this year or even the next. And I figured that both of these come ready (with the purchase of a target) to target pratice.

I'm all ears!

David
TPM

Re: Budget: Buy best crossbow and slowly purchase accessorie

Post by TPM »

If you're on a budget buy used. Plenty of great used bows out there with all the accessories for less than you'd pay for a bare new bow.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

TPM wrote:If you're on a budget buy used. Plenty of great used bows out there with all the accessories for less than you'd pay for a bare new bow.
X2!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Tom

Post by Tom »

It looks like you are in a tough spot. It seems to me that where you questioning your choice is "personal choice". Unfortantly, members here can not really tell you what your personal choice is,but some might try :lol:. We can tell you what we like best and why but not what you will like best.

The best thing about Excalibur crossbows is that they come ready to use with quality accessories, but not "top end". This enables new shooters to purchase a bow and be ready to go. Then they can learn what they want extra or want to upgrade on.

What most concider to be neccessary are:
Bow (with scope, arrows)
Rope cocker
Stringing aid

Accessories which are a "want"
A dozen arrows (quality)
Quality target
Arrow puller
Spare string.

Since you do not plan on hunting right away, this gives you time to see for yourself what you really want and or need. The lists above gives you an idea what you need to safely start shooting and enjoying your bow and what you might add anytime.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Tom wrote:It looks like you are in a tough spot. It seems to me that where you questioning your choice is "personal choice". Unfortantly, members here can not really tell you what your personal choice is,but some might try :lol:. We can tell you what we like best and why but not what you will like best.

The best thing about Excalibur crossbows is that they come ready to use with quality accessories, but not "top end". This enables new shooters to purchase a bow and be ready to go. Then they can learn what they want extra or want to upgrade on.

What most concider to be neccessary are:
Bow (with scope, arrows)
Rope cocker
Stringing aid

Accessories which are a "want"
A dozen arrows (quality)
Quality target
Arrow puller
Spare string.

Since you do not plan on hunting right away, this gives you time to see for yourself what you really want and or need. The lists above gives you an idea what you need to safely start shooting and enjoying your bow and what you might add anytime.

Tom

X2
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
bubba

Post by bubba »

Yep buy used.. some good deals to be had, get into it learn as you go, and you will get the feel of whats right for you. Since you are not gonna be hunting right away, Start with a grizzly or Ibex or vixen, I own a Ibex and have 0 issues with the s.m.f rail. But i admit i prefer the alu, and that brings a higher cost. look in the trading section or other archery sites. There are good deals out there .Just keep your head up and trust the seller...Good Hunting..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

X2 on 'used'. Used still has lifetime warranty......Don't worry about a synthetic rail, they're bullet proof..... :mrgreen:

W/ the factory endless loop string, you don't need an ADF.
"Eze 18:21"
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

There's an Ibex for $400 on the trading post on this site.
That would be a good bow for you. You don't need all that crap you listed right away. The stock scope is fine, no rail lube is needed. You don't need lumenocks either. You can get by without the ADF too if funds are tight.I don't have the ADF on my bow.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The Ibex is a very nice bow BTW. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
grouse

Post by grouse »

The only crossbow I have ever shot is an Axiom with the smf rail. I did add a Danny Miller Flemish string, but my scope, trigger and quiver are all Excalibur. I don't know what other posters are talking about when they complain about original equipment scopes and triggers or when they say aluminum rails are superior. My bow is amazingly accurate. I would hesitate to ever shoot at a deer at 50 yards but I have shot twice at my target at that distance. Both arrows were in the bullseye. As far as power is concerned, it will put an arrow through a deer and bury it deep in the dirt. You can buy any Excalibur package and with a little practice (which is fun and satisfying) you will be ready to hunt. As far as arrows are concerned, the Excalibur Firebolts have given me nothing to complain about but I did buy some Black eagle Zombies for this year just to try something else. Goode luck!
axiom
350 SE
dpoisson

Post by dpoisson »

Thanks everyone! At least I have better confidence in the stock accessories that come with Excalibur crossbows.

I'm still on the fence about the SMF though. I don't think I have any reason for it though. I guess it's just a mental block I have about plastic vs aluminum!

I'm supposed to try firing a crossbow (a friend's tenpoint). Can't wait to see how it feels as it will be my first time firing a crossbow. It'll at least give me a frame of reference.

David
dpoisson

Post by dpoisson »

Oh ya, and I forgot to add...I will be buying accessories to pimp out my crossbow anyways, no matter which one I get :lol:

It's a part of life.

David
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

dpoisson wrote:Thanks everyone! At least I have better confidence in the stock accessories that come with Excalibur crossbows.

I'm still on the fence about the SMF though. I don't think I have any reason for it though. I guess it's just a mental block I have about plastic vs aluminum!

I'm supposed to try firing a crossbow (a friend's tenpoint). Can't wait to see how it feels as it will be my first time firing a crossbow. It'll at least give me a frame of reference.

David
If the SMF bothers you then get an aluminum railed bow. X 2 on used. The older Exo series now are s bargain right now. They are the bows that Excalibur built their reputation on. They shoot lights out, are tough and dependable, and are great bows! Yes they are a little wider. If a bargain is what you are looking for they are it.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I can tell you this from jump street. If'en you be already undecided on which to choose on the Matrix platform. Buy the one you really want. If you can't afford it, buy a used alum mainframe model n getstid to chooten man
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

my 2008 exocet 200 with full package only cost me 705.00 to my door....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.