poi change

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcat

poi change

Post by bobcat »

i have been shooting awesome groups with my micro using stock quills and 125 gr field tips. this morning i went to shoot and i am hitting a little over an inch low at 20. im dead nuts on at 30. Groups are still pretty tight. this is a new bow and in the last 3 days i have put about 75 shots through it. my string is now just touching the stops. i also had a set of those stick on brake pads. one flew off this morning so i took the other off but didnt think they would affect arrow flight.
im thinking my string is just breaking in and i need to twist it a little. :?:

also those brake pads things, leaver them off? super glue? get a new set? they are the ones that go under the string on the limbs. not the air brakes.
vixenmaster

Re: poi change

Post by vixenmaster »

Twist yer string up off those bumper pads
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bubba

Post by bubba »

X-3...smile..
Last edited by bubba on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

X2 twist that string buddy
Matrix 380 blackout
18" Zombies/92 gr. brass inserts
100 gr. Slick Trick Mag
18" Spinal Tapp's
170 gr F.O.C's
NChunter/BOO/ VixenMaster strings
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

One 'flew off' during practice? 86 them...... :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

awshucks wrote:One 'flew off' during practice? 86 them...... :mrgreen:
when i called the dealer and told him i was coming to pick up a micro, i told him to throw a set of air brakes on it. when i got there it had brake pads. he didnt know they made air brakes for the micro :roll:
so i told him not to worry about it and leave the brake pads on. whats 17 bucks when your spending 1100 right :D
but now that they flew off 60 shots later idk if they are worth dorking around with
:?:
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd ask the dealer for my money back on the pads and have him get the air brakes for it.
String might be the change of POI, but after reading your other post about the "unexpected results", I'm wondering if your scope may be the problem?
I've had a few scope failures, and sometimes the POI would shift suddenly, then maybe hold for a few shots, then shift again. One time it was the front bell on the scope was loose - might check that. :wink:
wabi
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

idk if they are worth dorking around with
They were discussed a bunch on another forum a while back. Consensus of opinion was.............86 'em :mrgreen:

YMMV.....
"Eze 18:21"
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

awshucks wrote:
idk if they are worth dorking around with
They were discussed a bunch on another forum a while back. Consensus of opinion was.............86 'em :mrgreen:

YMMV.....

roger that.
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

stick on limb dampeners, slow the limbs down a bit. reducing FPS. when you removed them you GAINED a few fps, probably accounting for your change in 20 yd POI.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Gamikatsu wrote:stick on limb dampeners, slow the limbs down a bit. reducing FPS. when you removed them you GAINED a few fps, probably accounting for your change in 20 yd POI.
Couldn't agree more. ANY weight on string, limbs or arrow reduces speed by roughly 1 fps for every 3 grains of weight added. And, does very little to make bow much quieter.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

Gamikatsu wrote:stick on limb dampeners, slow the limbs down a bit. reducing FPS. when you removed them you GAINED a few fps, probably accounting for your change in 20 yd POI.

wouldnt faster = higher poi not lower?
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

bobcat wrote:

wouldnt faster = higher poi not lower?
Typically, yes, more speed means a higher POI than how you zeroed your scope. However you have too many variables in flux to make that generalization here: you're new to recurve crossbows, your string has been stretching and you haven't adjusted BH, you zeroed with brake pads and now you don't have them... Until these factors are controlled, it will make it hard to pinpoint how your bow is performing.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits