Rage broadhead in 405?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gamikatsu

Rage broadhead in 405?

Post by Gamikatsu »

ok.

so when i shot vertical bows (cut me some slack, it was a local company i shot rage hypodermic 100 grain. i absolutly LOVE the broadhead and in my opinion its one of the best 100 grain heads made. i would NOT hesitate to hunt anything up to bull elk with it. However my matrix 405, is another ball park. Rage claims anything up to 400 fps is tested and they say are good. do you guys think the 405 is too much for an expandable 100 grain head? at 20 yards, the practice tips can hit a dime. the bow is loud and the shot is violent. pretty much exactly what the 405 stands for. i chronied my bow at 398 fps with the diablo arrows and 150 grain tips. i'm assuming (have not chronied yet) i'm getting 405-408 with a 100 grain tip. as some of you know, Rage hypodermics are quite expensive, and thats another part of this problem. i have roughly 12 of them left over from my obsession bow. i don't want to just waste 200 dollars in broadheads. Please give me your thoughts,

Thanks!
Ed
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
Chefrific

Re: Rage broadhead in 405?

Post by Chefrific »

With the shock collars, you might be okay. Only way to know for sure is to sacrifice a couple and shoot them. Let us know!
Noticed you are in Warner Robins. I'm in Hawkinsville. Good to see some "locals" on this forum!
-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

I was in Warner Robins, USAF 10 years. i've since seperated and moved back home to Western PA. I love hawkinsville area. Ocmulgee WMA is my stomping grounds. :-D Lots of big hogs in that area... Big Tasty hogs!

I just loaded my quiver with 3 Rage hypodermic 100 grains. they shoot too good at 20 yards. i went on rage's website and they actually claim 405 FPS is the highest they have tested to. i'm going to test the practice head out to 60 yards, and unless i see some weird flight, thats what i'm hunting with this year!

Ed
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

the best thing to do in my opinion since you have plenty of them on hand is to try a couple as your "practice heads" and see how they perform, I have also read about people using dental elastics on mechanical heads to keep them closed.
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I encourage you to test the actual broadheads out to 60yards. Do not trust the practice head to fly the same. It may...or may not.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Maybe a dumb question - but does a Diablo arrow with a 100 gr head weigh 350gr? Or did I miss something somewhere.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

18" Diablo arrow is 250 grain, if your using a 100 grain broadhead you are at 350 grain. I would shoot something heavier like a 150 grain broadhead, you will loose speed but I'm sure it's safer on the limbs. You can also consider custom arrows with brass front inserts so you can use different weights of broad heads. Good luck

Post by newbie »

Keith all excalibur arrows, Firebolts, Diablo, Quill, all weigh 250 grains.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

For some reason I had 200gr in my head - because they always suggest the 150gr point and the minimum weight is 350.

Anyway, thanks for the correction. It's in the vault now. :lol:
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

nchunterkw wrote:For some reason I had 200gr in my head - because they always suggest the 150gr point and the minimum weight is 350.

Anyway, thanks for the correction. It's in the vault now. :lol:
.... A few months ago Keith I thought the same exact thing and was promptly taken behind the woodshed and was whooped into submission that each arrow as provided by Excal with their XB's are heavier than 350 g....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
SEW

Post by SEW »

The main concern about opening Expandibles should be acceleration rate: in pilot's terms, launch acceleration. Recurves launch more violently than compounds. The 405 has rather extreme launch acceleration. I'd test them!
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

Like others said shoot the actual BH out to 60 yards to see if they fly good. If by chance they don't give the FOC or swhackers a try. Best of luck
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

if hte rage hypo's don't work i'm shooting boltcutters. i am just cheap and trying to NOT have to buy new heads for a season or 2
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Gamikatsu wrote:if hte rage hypo's don't work i'm shooting boltcutters. i am just cheap and trying to NOT have to buy new heads for a season or 2

....Ed...it is OK to be cheap...no problem here...one suggestion is, if there is a certain BH you might want to give a whirl to, there are members who might be willing to send you a BH to help you make your decision...there is only one requirement on your part...." that you pay it forward" given the opportunity!

Good luck with your decision making!

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

amythntr wrote:
Gamikatsu wrote:if hte rage hypo's don't work i'm shooting boltcutters. i am just cheap and trying to NOT have to buy new heads for a season or 2

....Ed...it is OK to be cheap...no problem here...one suggestion is, if there is a certain BH you might want to give a whirl to, there are members who might be willing to send you a BH to help you make your decision...there is only one requirement on your part...." that you pay it forward" given the opportunity!

Good luck with your decision making!

I shoot Spitfire 100g's., but also have Muzzy 100 four blade from my compound days and Toxics...let me know if you are interested I could send one or two to you...just PM me with your info...

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings