Spitfire XXX in hand. Testing today.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Chefrific

Spitfire XXX in hand. Testing today.

Post by Chefrific »

Just got a pack of the new Spitfire XXX crossbow 100g heads. Weather permitting I'm going to sacrifice one and see how she flies. Not quite 2 inches by my ruler, but still looks to make some massive wound channels.

-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex
vixenmaster

Re: Spitfire XXX in hand. Testing today.

Post by vixenmaster »

They look good but the outright fudgin on the 2" cut isn't right! :(
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315

Post by newbie »

draw a circle around those blades and measure the diameter. :wink:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

newbie wrote:draw a circle around those blades and measure the diameter. :wink:
X2, you're not measuring straight across since the blades are 120 degree spacing. They look mean! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Perhaps NAP measures the 2" cut at it's widest cutting point before the blades are fully swept back.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family

Post by newbie »

Normous wrote:Perhaps NAP measures the 2" cut at it's widest cutting point before the blades are fully swept back.
look at the picture on the package Norm. It's showing a 2" diameter circle around deployed blades. Measurement is in line with most 3 blade heads.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Take the distance between the ferule and the tip of the blade, multiply by 3 and you get your cutting area which in this case will be huge.
I'm betting when they call it a 2" cut, they are measuring like everyone else does and that is a circle that the blades fit into.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Chefrific

Post by Chefrific »

Boo wrote:Take the distance between the ferule and the tip of the blade, multiply by 3 and you get your cutting area which in this case will be huge.
I'm betting when they call it a 2" cut, they are measuring like everyone else does and that is a circle that the blades fit into.
Distance between the ferule and the tip of the blade is exactly 1"

Another note. I weighed them and they come in at 107grains.
-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Chefrific wrote: Another note. I weighed them and they come in at 107grains.
x2. I weighed the ones in my stash and they came in at 106.8, 107.1 & 107.3. So yes, these are consistently over 100gr. At the ranges I shoot while hunting, I don't expect the extra few grains to amount to much. If anything, it will aid penetration. :roll:
DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Chefrific

Post by Chefrific »

After sighting in my micro to 100 grain field tips (was setup for 125g), I decided to sacrifice one of the new Spitfire XXX heads. Backed up to 30 yards. Aimed... and wouldn't you know it...
Hit almost exactly where my field tip did. Maybe a 1/2" low, but that could have been me.
Needless to say, I'm confident in this new spitfire. Should be devastating this fall.
-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Cool! Thanks for the report... I have shot four or five deer with a Spitfire. What I love about them is that they leave blood, and quite a bit, right where you shoot the animal and all the way to final rest. Bad thing is, they STINK on any sort of bone hit... stink so bad that you may be very lucky to find your critter. Stay off the shoulder with these babies! :shock: :shock:
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
Chefrific

Post by Chefrific »

I contacted NAP support and inquired about the heads weighing more than 100 grains. Got one heck of a response. Thought I would share. Here is the response I received from Chris Hunter at New Archery Products:

"John,

I appreciate your concern, and as one of the younger guys here...I often think the same way at times about that stuff and then we go test it, and get our honest understanding of things, etc..

I do all of our field testing, prototyping, live in Iowa here, passionate bowhunter for 23 yrs and been toting Spitfires and all their cousins for 19 yrs now. My family and close friends do not dare shoot another head haha...but its the truth. We love our Spitfires!

Now that all being said, if a guy can shoot....and the bow is "perfectly tuned" by the shooter....then one should expect pick a hair kind of accuracy out to about 45yds and THEN then there is a slight "drag effect" that increases as ydg increases, etc...

This drag is NOT so much from the extra 6-7 grains....BUT from the extra length of the broadhead ferrule vs that of a "standard field point, etc".....

Being a realist myself...I will tell you I had the same concern once.....and I said to our engineer I love killing with them and so do millions of other hunters...but just like customers may also wonder ..."how come they cant weigh exactly 100 grains?".....

His answer had a ton to do with QUALITY. He told me to get a "great head" to weigh only 100 grains" is the toughest task if you wanna keep ferrule/point, strength, blade integrity, and a proper function.....think of an arrow shaft at 8.9GPI or 10+GPI....."per inch of arrow"..you can only "take out so much" or you start weakening the head in other areas.

As I passionate hunter, I have since told myself long ago.....That those extra grains are extra confidence. The quality and the right parts entail a product I believe in and trust during the hunt. Our best attempt at 100 grains is still what people know as a Spitfire for 19 yrs, they're amazing!

Now as far as learning about drag or how much per setup.....I personally take old heads I've killed with and then just "crazy glue" the blade slots and close the head again...(They stay together for dozens of shots and I can always reglue them, etc)....
I'll use these for my long range 90-140yds dialer and tweaking my 7 pins at each yd out to 90.....testing the wind in some cases, etc.

To keep it simple I'll just say this...for what we both love about shooting whitetails...remember that 6-7grains cant ruin the kill for you.
In a way that "drag effect" actually helps in those most cases where the animal is "loading his legs on the shot".....

Filming and slow-motioning kill shots season after season, I now very confidently believe ALL four legged deer/elk like animals move at-least between 2" and 7" on every shot....6-7 grains isn't changing anything negatively....as I'll take a top of the heart before I take too high in the back-straps any day!! : )

I truly hope this helps......please don't let 6-7 grains get in your head or question your confidence in your ability once you get that encounter....They will impress you and you will love them! I hope you bloody all three this yr and have a great season!

Any other questions, just give a holler....You take care and have a nice wknd!

Regards,

Chris Hunter
NAP"
-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

..... Is that dissertation dazzling with brilliance or baffling with bull sheet?....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

......all kidding aside, it does make a lot of sense... I think the NAP brand is one of the best on the market.... And the Spitfires, for me the best , the most accurate broad head flying like field points (ask the deer I shot with them)...I can't wait to pick up the XXX.... Dick's has the 4 pack for 39.99...

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Chefrific

Post by Chefrific »

amythntr wrote:..... Is that dissertation dazzling with brilliance or baffling with bull sheet?....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :)

Haha! Perhaps a poetic blend of both!

I'm just thrilled I actually got a response. I tried contacting the makers of Rage broadheads with a question a couple of years ago, and they could care less.

Impressed with the spitfires so far. I've only taken turkey with a spitfire and my Excalibur, but I look forward to trying this new one out on some four legged critters this fall.
-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Well here me is again, i do use them alot. I usually kill 1 or 2 deer every yr usin the Spitfire & or other model BH they make.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315