Newbie with questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fusion525

Newbie with questions

Post by Fusion525 »

Hello, I am new to the crossbow scene. After much research I purchased the Matrix Grizzly which I thought was the best choice due to the 200lb draw weight limit here in NY. I have read and learned quite a bit on this forum but one subject I am not sure about is brace height. What is brace height?, how is it measured?, is it set at the factory and how often does it need to be checked?.
Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.
vixenmaster

Re: Newbie with questions

Post by vixenmaster »

Brace ht. is the distance between the front of yer string n the Riser joint line. Grizzly manual should tell you exacting how fer to keep the string off the Riser joint. You always need to keep n eye on the Brace ht. You can use a tape measure or a ruler/scale to measure wid
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Welcome to the forum, and Excalibur as well. You made a great choice. Get a stringing tool, and watch the videos here. The brace height minimum should be marked on the rail, but if not, someone here will get that to you. I think someone said the sweet spot was about 1" from the split between the rail, and riser. Don't shoot it until you can adjust the brace height, and have an idea where it should be.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Good info given here.
I have the rubber bumpers (string stops) on both my crossbows and keep my string 3/16" off the bumpers. I also put a small mark on the side of the rail with a magic marker so that I can easily check to see if it is still in the sweet spot.

Ron
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

Hey, where in the Empire State are you located? I live in Rochester (western NY). Hopefully the 200 lb. limit will be lifted soon; that is what the New York Crossbow Coalition is working on. Also, you should become a member so we can win the fight for full inclusion in the bow season. Not just the last 2 weeks of a 6 week season. Anyways, if you live nearby it would be fun to shoot together. One more thing ; keep your fingers low on the stock out of the way of the string's flight path.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
Fusion525

Post by Fusion525 »

canoe13 wrote:Hey, where in the Empire State are you located? I live in Rochester (western NY). Hopefully the 200 lb. limit will be lifted soon; that is what the New York Crossbow Coalition is working on. Also, you should become a member so we can win the fight for full inclusion in the bow season. Not just the last 2 weeks of a 6 week season. Anyways, if you live nearby it would be fun to shoot together. One more thing ; keep your fingers low on the stock out of the way of the string's flight path.
Canoe13, I live in Webster so we are close, can certainly get together and shoot sometime.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome to the forum!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
bubba

Post by bubba »

Welcome to the forum.. And congrats on your Excalibur crossbow, the best of the best. As said brace height is very important.. Never let it get below 1/2" from your string to the joint where your rail meets the limb assembly or riser and you should be good to go. Mine is set at 3/4", is my sweet spot that. It varies with other members and bows. With time you will find your sweet spot, where you and the bow give's it's most. But never let it get below 1/2".. Or big problems can happen..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Welcome, you will love your Excalibur. Be careful, there addicting, you get one and then you want more. :lol:
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The limbs will relax as the string stretches causing the bowsting to migrate toward the riser. It can actually come off when shot if it's too low. You'll need a Stringer to adjust it. Use it to hold the limbs partially cocked while the string is twisted up to shorten it. Good idea to twist the string in the same direction as the twists of the serving thus preventing them from separating. Good shooting.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Fusion525 wrote:Hello, I am new to the crossbow scene. After much research I purchased the Matrix Grizzly which I thought was the best choice due to the 200lb draw weight limit here in NY. I have read and learned quite a bit on this forum but one subject I am not sure about is brace height. What is brace height?, how is it measured?, is it set at the factory and how often does it need to be checked?.
Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.
.... Welcome aboard fusion525.... Always nice to welcome new members aboard the Excalibur Express.... Where there is always learning and teaching going on.... Not only that but we are a family lookin out for each other and helpin when we can!

..... Why not complete your registration so we'll all know where you hail from...

..... Pull up a bench and gather round the fire... I'm sure there will be some fine talking going on...

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings