Home made bag target

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Possum

Home made bag target

Post by Possum »

After 7 years of heavy use my old Morrell bag target has plum give out. After looking around for a replacement bag target and the prices for a decent one I decided to make my own.
Used old mattress batting, old clothes with all hardware removed and 6 burlap coffee bags. I rolled all this up and wrapped in 3 layers of heavy plastic painters tarp. I then proceeded to stuff this (whole) into another burlap coffee bag. This is where the hard work really started. I poundid it down with a spud bar, sledge hammer, jumped up and down on it. And finally got it all in the bag. After sewing the end of the bag with tarred braided line I put another burlap bag over the first outer bag and sewed it closed. After all this I hauled it out of the driveway and proceeded to run over with my tractor to straighten it out.
This took me all day and part of this morning. I tested my target out morning with my 330 at point blank range and the arrows only penetrated about 4". This target weighs 56 pounds and actually looks pretty good. This thing should last a good long time but it will be the last one I will make as it just ain't worth the trouble and abuse to my body. Next time I will just buy one if I ever need another. Now after my body quits hurting from making this thing I'll get back to shooting.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Php 4:13
Dale

Re: Home made bag target

Post by Dale »

Yup. everything is expensive until you try to make it your self. I feel your pain. lol
Exomax
Easton 2219 bolts
150 grain Bolt cutters
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

after all that, I hope the target lasts you 20 years!
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

I hear you. I have made 3 bag targets. All of them stop my arrows like yours. Ya gotta love that two finger removal though. I get a small sense of accomplishment every time I shoot. It also saves a lot of wear and tear on my broadhead 18/1. Good Job. :D
Hank
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I recycled two old rag bags and fixed them up for about $5 at the feed store for some new bags. After about 20 mins of stuffing and painting per bag I made these two targets. Granted, I had most of the material compacted down to size because it came from my old targets but it's not labor intensive at all. And in my experience, there isn't a commercially available target that'll stop my 405 at point blank range and not be a chore to remove...and they certainly cannot be found in this price point. :D
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Possum

Post by Possum »

Some of the soreness has subsided and it is satisfying to shoot at a self made target that actually stop arrows better than what can be bought in stores. Could just throw my old Morrell super duper away so I added more old clothes, burlap and plastic to it and it stops arrows better than it did when new but it does need to be recovered. It won't fit in the replacement covers available for it so I may try to stuff it whole in a 3rd hand rag bag. A man can never have too many targets.
Come tax time I may have to get another Xbow to go with all these targets :mrgreen:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

:lol: Awesome story! :lol: Congrats on your new target. I'd love to see a pic of it.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Possum

Post by Possum »

paulaboutform wrote::lol: Awesome story! :lol: Congrats on your new target. I'd love to see a pic of it.

Paul
I'd post a picture but I can't figure out how to do it.