How soon after a kill will you hunt a stand?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

How soon after a kill will you hunt a stand?

Post by Woody Williams »

Simple curiosity...but how soon after you kill a deer have you hunted a particular stand? I've had places where it seems you could kill a deer a day and they wouldn't "catch on."

Do you think it makes more sense to rest an area after a successful hunt, or get right back in there?

Comments....
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
RWK

after kill

Post by RWK »

Woody i think it depends how many times you visited that stand, during our gun season i've taken a couple of deer from the same stand two days in the row.
Bronco

Post by Bronco »

Gotta agree with bstout the same afternoon could have worked for me. While I waited for it to get later to end the hunt with blood everywhere and me standing around I had two more come in.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I had a deer come to an apple pile (which had blood on it from a morning kill) and eat the apples the same night. I agree with bstout, our smell bothers them more.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Woody, I will hunt a stand in the morning, take a doe and hunt it in the evening if the wind is right. Many time I have taken another deer.
. I have taken deer froma stand one day and told a friend that the bucks were comeing through at say 8:30AM and he would be in the stand the next morning and take a buck at the time I told him.
terry-1

deer

Post by terry-1 »

Last season I shot a nice buck with my Exocet and he ran about 50 yards stopped and looked back and fell dead right there. About 5 minutes later 2 does walked right pass him and under my stand. They saw him and just walked on by.
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

Most deer I have taken were from the same stand day after day.

They don't seem to be bothered by thier own blood trails at all.

Same as the others say; they aren't afraid to step over a fallin friend to get to where they want to go.

Isn't it odd?

But I won't complain!

Oneshot........
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
Vladymere

Hunting same stands

Post by Vladymere »

Woody,

My hunting experience is limited. I started three years ago and have taken five deer, four with black powder.

My limited experience leads me to believe what I have ben told. Death and the following corruption are natural experiences for deer and don't affect their behavior.

Vlad
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

OK..

I agree with all that it is us they don't like to smell. They don't recognize death that much.

Me? I'll hunt that stand again right away IF it is a good producer and we didn't disturb the area too much getting the deer out.

NEXT QUESTION -

How about field dressing?

If you are planning on hunting that stand in the near future do you gut the deer right there or move it far away?
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

If he the deer dies away from the stand I will dress it where it drops but if it drops on the spot I will move the deer off some distance.
Bronco

Post by Bronco »

We move ours about 75 to 100 yards away not necessaryly to stop from bothering other deer but I myself dont like walking in to the same stand in the dark the next morning to a pack of wolves or a feeding bear. :)
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I would probably wait about a year. I only have one tag. Might get into trouble if I kept hunting.
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

If it's a hot spot I wouldn't even gut the deer right there. I usually take the deer back neer the camp to gut, as you are closer to the beer fridge.
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
johnbuck9

How soon too hunt

Post by johnbuck9 »

I also agree with everything said and have done the same as taking whitetails morning and evening, and back too back days, I like too drag the deer off too field dress, the areas I hunt in Pa. have a good amount of bears, and that time of year they have the feed bag on, and the gut piles bring them in, and what I have experienced is that when those blackies move in the deer move out, not out, out ,but they sure change there runs, and patterns, a few years ago a frend on mine hit a buck with his compound I think was a liver shot, the deer went a couple hundred yards, and we found its bed dark, dark thick blood but no deer ,or blood , we started circling the area, and I found drag marks of hair on the rocks and stumps , here a bear already had his deer and was dragging it off, we had let the deer go for two Hrs before picking up his trail, being he had hit the deer back too far, so we didint argue with the blackie and let him carry off Terry's buck
, a week later we went back into that same area foe a all day hunt, did not see a whietail but 5 bear, bearseason came and we sat in there for 3 days morning till night, not a bear, thats hunting, have a great season!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

The gathering of scavengers is one reason I will not gut a deer close to where I hunt. They leave their stink everywhere.

I don't think a gut pile bothers deer too much, but if it scared off just one buck that could be one buck too many.

We don't have bears in Indiana (I don't think) but we do have plenty of coyotes and dogs running loose..
Woody Williams