Slick Tricks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Re: Slick Tricks

Post by paulaboutform »

With all due respect to everyone, I have a different opinion. If I shoot a replaceable blade fixed broadhead and it is completely undamaged I can see using a broadhead sharpener to touch up the edge. Any damage or dings in the blades and they become practice blades. Mechanicals to me are a one shot deal and the blades get replaced, with very few exceptions. ALWAYS spin test any broadheads you plan on reusing.
Everyone is always so adamant about razor sharp broadheads I'm kinda surprised so many members are reusing blades with I'm assuming less than a razor edge? Replacement blades are relatively inexpensive so I'm all for using them as designed and replacing the blades. Even at this, they should still be spin tested. Jmo..

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Eck

Post by Eck »

+1
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
swiftfox

Post by swiftfox »

sorry I forgot to mention that I do re sharpen the blades each year. If then are dinged or chipped I replace the blade. The sharper the blade the better the "blow through" Last year I thought I had missed as I saw my arrow in the field off to my left "binking away" only to realize it was a pass through. Deer was 25-30 yards to my right on the ground. If only I get that lucky this year.

Swiftfox
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Most fixed heads and some mechanical heads are very durable. As long as you don't make contact with something very hard they can last for years with a little sharpening on occasion.

Your terrain and hunting situation will likely dictate how many heads you will consume. Most shots will be a pass-through. If you are hunting from the ground the arrow can travel a considerable distance. If you can't find it, there goes a broadhead. It may be in great condition, but it doesn't matter unless you recover it. This is less of an issue when hunting from an elevated position but I've even lost a couple that way when the ricocheted off of something on the ground and down through the woods.

My issue is rocky soil. I might as well be hunting in a gravel parking lot. :lol: Out of my last couple dozen shots, I've only been able to reuse a couple heads. Replaceable blades sound nice, but unless you can recover a usable ferrule they aren't of much use.

My rule is one head for each pull of the trigger, or 2-3 packs per season in my house.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
excalxbowner

Post by excalxbowner »

I appreciate the good info from you all!
Matrix 355
Diablo bolts
150 grain Slick Tricks
Boltcutter BH