Need help with Spitfires

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nomercy

Need help with Spitfires

Post by nomercy »

For those who use bands on your spitfires what size bands do you use ? This is my first venture with mechanical heads and 2 of the 3 new heads opened on launch out of my exomax. I placed scotch tape around them to keep them shut and shot them again and they did not open until impact with the target and POI was dead on with my field points. So I will use bands on them, just need to know what size to use.
Last edited by nomercy on Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trigger1212

Re: Need help with Spitfires

Post by Trigger1212 »

NM,

I've shot spitfires for years with no issues with blades opening at the shot. How did you verify that this is happening? Just curious, you say it's happening so it's happening just wondering how you verified it. Shoot it through sheet of newspaper at 10 feet or something? NAP does make specific "spitfire" type heads for crossbows to address just his issue.

Will be interested to see what o-rings are suggested. Good Luck!

Wade
Matrix 355 - "Spike"
20 " BE Executioners, 110 gr brass inserts, 2" blazers
NAP 100 gr Spitfires
Wyvern Flemish String
DM Bumpers
Semper Fi!
nomercy

Post by nomercy »

1 was on target the other 2 was about a foot high and had cut marks on the wrap around the foot stirrup.
nomercy

Post by nomercy »

I should add at this was at 20 yards, and after I placed tape around them all 3 shot spot on.
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

I'd say that was a pretty good indication!

Wade
Matrix 355 - "Spike"
20 " BE Executioners, 110 gr brass inserts, 2" blazers
NAP 100 gr Spitfires
Wyvern Flemish String
DM Bumpers
Semper Fi!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.... Hey nomercy .... I also have been shooting the 100g spitfire MAXX for the past 2 years with no premature opening of the blades....just a dumb question... How many times have you shot each BH before this happened?.... They are only made to open n close 5 x before Mfgr suggests the wedge is changed...

..... I also might suggest you give NAP a call , they might provide you with some guidance and possibly send you a replacement pack if you tell them you are not happy!

..... Let us know the outcome!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

3/16 dental bands free from your dentist!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
nomercy

Post by nomercy »

The heads were new and had never been shot. I am not bad mouthing the spitfires at all, after I started taping them they shot great and did not open until impact and hit the same as my field points out to 40 yards. I will order new wedges but I will still use dental bands just to be on the safe side. I just don't know what size dental bands to use, 3/16 or 1/4 light, medium, or heavy?
Last edited by nomercy on Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

nomercy wrote:The heads were new and had never been shot. I am not bad mouthing the spitfires at all, after I started taping them they shot great and did not open until impact and hit the same as my field points out to 40 yards. I will order new wedges but I will still use dental bands just to be on the safe side.
..... Wasn't getting that impression...sometime calling Mfgr we stand to learn something others don't know.... Or at a minimum they are put on notice and possibly they send you free product...

..,,,, obtw.... When I get home from vacation in the middle of the week I am gonna pick up some of the new xxx 2" spitfires at Dicks...100g

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Gwens Dilemma

Post by Gwens Dilemma »

I've watched this discussion many times over the years. My carved tip Exomag had issues with never before fired Spitfires opening from the shot the first year they came out. I can't answer why some of us have issues and some of us don't. I went back to the Wasp fixed blade that Bill T. advised when I bought my bow and use the KISS principle. :wink:
Dave
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

amythntr wrote:
nomercy wrote:The heads were new and had never been shot. I am not bad mouthing the spitfires at all, after I started taping them they shot great and did not open until impact and hit the same as my field points out to 40 yards. I will order new wedges but I will still use dental bands just to be on the safe side.
..... Wasn't getting that impression...sometime calling Mfgr we stand to learn something others don't know.... Or at a minimum they are put on notice and possibly they send you free product...

..,,,, obtw.... When I get home from vacation in the middle of the week I am gonna pick up some of the new xxx 2" spitfires at Dicks...100g

I read somewhere that that there are retention clips in the works that are made "stronger" so they work better with higher poundage bows, these new clips just need to trade places with the standard clips. I don't know any more details though or when/where they will be available
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

All the reason to shoot a fixed blade head. Love the KISS system. :lol: :lol: :lol:
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

Riflemanz wrote:3/16 dental bands free from your dentist!

whats a dentist
:lol:
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

bobcat wrote:
Riflemanz wrote:3/16 dental bands free from your dentist!

whats a dentist
:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My dentist is on speed dial with his real estate agent and travel agent when I walk through the door! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ps: great to hear about stronger retention clips coming out!

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Chefrific

Post by Chefrific »

Certainly wouldn't hurt to put dental bands around them as added insurance.
I've noticed with my spitfires that after only one shot into my Reinhart 18-1 target, the target material smashes the dimple on the retention clip flat and they won't stay open after one shot into that target.
I had a representative from NAP tell me that he glues his shut when practicing and I quote: "I personally take old heads I've killed with and then just "crazy glue" the blade slots and close the head again...(They stay together for dozens of shots and I can always reglue them, etc)...."

I still would put a dental band on a brand new head to hunt with. It will give you a little insurance and will still open up just fine when it strikes it's target.

I've got the new spitfire XXX, and they have shot GREAT from my micro. I'm also waiting on some Ramcat fixed blades to test out.
Is there such a thing as too many broadheads? Never. lol.
-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex