Back preservation

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Back preservation

Post by SEW »

I started bow hunting in 1957 and hunted/shot steadily thru 1965. Then college/military got in the way until 1979 when I started back and tried to make up ever since for the missing 14 years. Recurve (52#) and compound(57-60#). However, I could shoot an 85# compound and a 65# recurve w/o having to point the bow up to draw. So, why did I shoot such low poundage? 2 reasons. 1) No speed was gained by higher poundage. If you shoot the same grains/# of draw with the same draw length, same speed will be obtained, all else equal. I didn't consider energy to be a factor. Still don't.
I'm now 68 years old and still hunt with a V-recurve(49# Palmer White Tail Classic) and M380 & M405. No problem cocking either or drawing the v-recurve. Why? Because I didn't destroy the tendons in my shoulder by shooting "normal" weight vbows. But, I got into the habit of hand cocking the 405 as it wasn't really any trouble. Now, even though I can relatively easily cock the 405, and the 380 is "a piece of cake", I'm planning on putting the Aging wood stock on a Matrix 355 for fun shooting and using the C-2 for range work with the 380&405 in order to help preserve my back. I'll still take a rope cocker for hunting second shots. Maybe Dr Stirrup will alter my thoughts on the 380.
So my encouragement is, preserve your back just like many wish they'd preserved their shoulders. Anyway, I realized I was doing with my crossbows what I'd avoided doing with my vbows.
Trigger1212

Re: Back preservation

Post by Trigger1212 »

Had to laugh reading your post, at first read I thought you meant you were able to cock your 405 by grabbing the string with your hands and pulling it back. I though Holy S**t, this guy must be a gorilla! Then I realized that you meant using the cocking rope, dang near had me feeling inadequate there! I used to be able to hand pull my stringer rope on my equinox when adjusting my brace height, tried that on my new 355 and bout blew a gasket then common sense kicked in and I grabbed the cocking rope.

I did find it odd that you were not concerned with draw weight on your v-bows but then went right to the top of the heap with the 380 and 405. Why the change in 'philosophy'?

Wade
Matrix 355 - "Spike"
20 " BE Executioners, 110 gr brass inserts, 2" blazers
NAP 100 gr Spitfires
Wyvern Flemish String
DM Bumpers
Semper Fi!
SEW

Post by SEW »

Of course, I meant rope cock.
The change in philosophy does seem strange at first glance. I'm after Max range . It's easier to vary weights with vbow arrows than xbow arrows. Increased xbow energy increased arrow velocity whereas vbows leant themselves to easier arrow weight changes.
Likely, I'd shoot the same arrows out of any Matrix. Think most of us do that whether right or wrong.
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Trigger1212 wrote:Had to laugh reading your post, at first read I thought you meant you were able to cock your 405 by grabbing the string with your hands and pulling it back. I though Holy S**t, this guy must be a gorilla!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No doubt.. I was thinking to myself I wouldn't want him mad at me...
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
wabi

Post by wabi »

I also hunted with recurves & longbows since the 60s. Most of my bows were in the 60# range, but I've shot up to 75#.
Bone spurs in the shoulder ended shooting the vertical bows.
I'm hoping my back will feel good after my steroid injections next month. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
Normous

Post by Normous »

I have said it before and I will say it again, the best gift that you can give yourself and your family is to take care of yourself. I admire your good advice SEW.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i use a c2 all the time for range work but i can use a rope cocker for hunting . i just dont push my back anymore had both back and neck done
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

I have a bad back and a Matrix 355. I've never even tried to cock it with a cocking rope. I found a brand new C2 crank cocking device on Craislist for $85 the day after I bought my new crossbow. I absolutley love the C2. I've even practiced cocking the 355 in my ladder stand with the C2, no problem at all. I use the C2 to adjust brace height with my stringing aid too. Even at full retail price the C2 is definatly a buy.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I luv my crank also, but I wouldn't love it as much if I ended up paying the crazy price they demand for them
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Trigger1212 wrote: tried that on my new 355 and bout blew a gasket then common sense kicked in and I grabbed the cocking rope.
Wade
. . . I tried that to ! :shock:

. . . didn't happen :wink:
-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly