Matrix 380 or Micro?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

StormDragon

Re: Matrix 380 or Micro?

Post by StormDragon »

jason25 wrote:I wish I could find a place around here that carried the micro, would like to try to cock one to see what its really like, and just to see the size of it.
The SIZE Is Deceiving and cocking it is an eye opener the first time. Not bad, not good but to best explain it is that by the time you think your eyeballs or balls in general are going to pop from pulling the rope cocker up , you hear the click of the string as it latch3s in the trigger claw.

But all in all once you get used to it it becomes second nature and not as hard as you first thought
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
SEW

Post by SEW »

Kuffs wrote:
SEW wrote:Your question needs to include more information concerning its usage. Desired range, your physical ability, etc. Seriously, it's somewhat akin to " what kind of gun should I get for hunting?".
Sorry I thought I did mention mainly for deer as a main usage and perhaps one day moose if time ever allowed me to... but not very likely.
I am 43 and have no physical issues but a little extra weight. I am not in the huge rush. I ended up selling my exocet after getting into a compound bow (which I do like). I was just looking at th new line up from Excalibur and would like to get one again
You did. I actually meant, do you want the longest range possible? Are there any strength limitations? Etc. I think the 405 is more like a 30-06 rifle compared to a Micro which might be more like a 30-30. I'd say 44 Mag carbine but expect I'd get too much flack. Myself, with no strength limitations, at least concerning the 380 & 405, I prefer the 405 over the Micro. If I shorter range hunted, or blind hunted, or for some reason needed/wanted a smaller xbow , then the Micro would be for me. If I get, rather when I get , another Excalibur xbow, it'll likely be a M355. We are all so different in likes, wants and needs, there just isn't one right choice .
The M380 is an outstanding choice also. Don't rule it out.
Which crossbow has the greatest range and power? The M405.
SEW

Post by SEW »

As has been mentioned, the Micro isn't easy to cock. Even with the short draw, it seems stouter than M380. Also, though it is cute and small, it isn't light . Try to shoot each.
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

Thanks for all your opinions guys. I loved t way the micro felt but you are right. I'd have to try to find a place I can shoot both to get the full idea but there aren't too ma places I can think of up here in the Toronto area that would let you...if any.
I do have , though as I still have my compound bow if needed.
Cheers
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes!

Excal Micro 335
SEW

Post by SEW »

paulaboutform wrote:I don't own a micro but have shot and handled them. They ARE compact and very well balanced but I find they require about the same energy to draw as the 405...only seventy feet per second slower. I do own a 380 and still find it well balanced and compact, although not as compact as the micro. I would choose the 380 all day for the flattened trajectory and equal or slightly less cocking effort. Reports I've read suggest the 380 would be slightly more accurate at extended ranges. Much like the long limbed Exo series seem more accurate than the matrix series at extended ranges. That being said the difference at hunting distances would be irrelevant. To me the 380 seems to be the perfect balance between power, accuracy, comfort and balance. Imho.. :wink:

Paul
I agree with Paul 100%. I own both a 380 & 405 and have shot a Micro extensively. Currently, a Micro is not in my future. There is an accuracy difference at 60+ yards. Each has their place. If I limited my shots to 45ish yards (why do that???), I'd get a Micro. I like the Micro. I like the Matrix better.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I haven't tested my MicroMax 360 beyond 65y yet, but with a 17" arrow I'm just as accurate as my 405 is at that range using a bench. I shoot the Micro better free-hand. But unquestionably, at ranges beyond 60y, the 405 gets the nod.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have been shootin Captain Morgan out to 75 yds. It all comes down to what you as a person want in yer crossbow. I have had the biggest n i have had the smallest. They all shot very good, better than i can see at my age. I like a small comfortable lighter model wid good speed but doesn't have to be the fastest Excal. Now its yer turn to getstid what you really like n will enjoy shootin n huntin wid
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

So i Did end up getting a Micro today. It was all killer deal so I had to. LeBaron had a no tax and 10% discount. They didn't have Much of anything left in stock so I guess al this talk of what to get was irrelevant. I Walked out with it for $810 total. I dont intend on really long shots past 50yards anyway so I'm happy. I really love the compact size.
I have a few of the original wasp boss broad heads from the exocet I never used so I'm going for try them out. I have some 100gr field points as well so all should line up. Total bolt weight is 350gr which is what it says as a minimum on the box.
I'll let you know how it goes

Excal Micro 335
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

So I have been firing both 100gr and 150gr tips with no issues to the bow. I did ask the team at Excalibur and they said it was fine. All the actual speeds rated on Excalibur are with 350gr bolts, not 400gr.

Excal Micro 335
Mr. RoC

Post by Mr. RoC »

Congrats.

Did you get yourself a stringer? Maybe pick one up when Sail has a 15% OFF sale on their hunting stuff or just use your LeBaron club card. You'll need to add twists to the string when it starts to stretch.
2015 Excalibur Micro 335 - 397 gr @ 326 fps... 94 ft/lb
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

I have the striker and the arrow puller. I actually found that it stripped one of the knocks of a bolt. I am contacting Excalibur and they were great. I said shoot the other arrows and if it ends up stripping those as well they will replace the arrow puller and send me some knocks.
Have to Love the customer service. I still don't know why anyone would buy anything else!

Excal Micro 335
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

racking up points wrote:I haven't tested my MicroMax 360 beyond 65y yet, but with a 17" arrow I'm just as accurate as my 405 is at that range using a bench. I shoot the Micro better free-hand. But unquestionably, at ranges beyond 60y, the 405 gets the nod.
Forgive my ignorance but what is a Micro max 360? I haven't seen that

Excal Micro 335
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

Micro max? Does anyone know what that is?

Excal Micro 335
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Kuffs wrote:Micro max? Does anyone know what that is?
It's a custom build that Derrick put together.....as for the arrow pullers, I suggest you stop using that T-handle. It's easy to break arrows. If you're in Canada, contact Boo on this forum and pick up a pair of plier pullers. They're faster, easier, and safer on your arrows.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.