Newbie Broadhead Review (Rage)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheBig1

Newbie Broadhead Review (Rage)

Post by TheBig1 »

I had posted earlier about suggestions for broadheads which flew just like field points. It's a pet peeve of mine. Anyways, I received, as you might imagine, a plethora of suggestions. A buddy of mine at work who has an Axiom said he uses the 2 blade expandable Rage broadhead and that it flew just like a field point. I bought two packs on sale at Dick's S/G. I tried the practice point and it flew perfectly, I thought that I had found my broadhead.

Going on another suggestion that I read on this forum I decided yesterday to sacrifice a real broadhead to test the accuracy of them. I began at 50 yards, why start closer since I can reach 50. Well the first shot was approximately 10"-12" low from my point of aim. I decided to give it another try to see if I had done something wrong. The second shot impacted at the same spot.

Needless to say that I returned those broadheads to Dick's and reading some other suggestions picked up some Muzzy MX3's fixed blades to try since they were only $27 which was cheaper than the Trocar's. I'm hoping to try them soon and see how they work.

I wanted to try the Slick Trick Standards but Dick's did not have them, they had another model of Slick Trick instead.

Equipment Used:
Matrix Grizzly
Stock String
Stock Xcal Diablo Bolts
100 gr. Broadheads
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
bubba

Re: Newbie Broadhead Review (Rage)

Post by bubba »

Hey BigOne.. I own a Ibex that is rated the same as your Axiom, And last year i shot Swhackers 100 grain. And Slick tricks Mags in both 100 and 125 grains.. As for finding broad heads that shoot the same as your field points, Well in 25 years of Archery i have yet to see that happen, i know i here it all the time.. But i have used some that came close. Both the Swhackers, and Slick Tricks, for me had different p.o.i.'s. But it's no big thing.. A couple clicks here and there, and it's lights out. Those Heads filled my freezer last year, and still got enough to last till Oct 15th for sure.. Good luck sir....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks Bubba. I found broadheads for my vertical compound that flew exactly like field points, so I know they're out there. I just have to find them. I'm very particular like that.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
bubba

Post by bubba »

Well good luck my man with that. But what's with finding broad heads that fly exactly like your field points? I mean once you get ready to go hunting you are gonna be shooting broad heads. It only takes a shot or two to get your p.o.i. right on after your field points? When i say close that's 1" to 3" at 40 yards. Just a few clicks on your scope. It an'it nothing.. By the way those Muzzy's you picked up are good shootin heads. But if were me i'd drop those Rage's in the creek..Not a fan...Smile..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

LOL Don't worry, those Rage's went right back last night and then I picked up the Muzzy's. I'm hoping for great success with them.

I understand what people say about "What does it matter?" But to me it does matter. I want to be able to practice, practice, and practice just a little more. I really like to dial my shooting implements in to a finely tuned instrument. When I do, I don't want to then resight it in with BH's. I hope explained that in a way that people who don't believe in my line of thought can understand and respect.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Ive not had any luck with the Rage Crossbow heads, They want stand these high poundage recurve Xbows we all love . Ive done some testing lately with them and here are a few pictures . First pic is of the target at 40 yds with field points and Rage practice head . Second pic is where the actual Rage hunting head hit , Off way too much for me and appears to of have opened one blade . Picture of stirrup with cut marks was shot out of my friends Equinox and clearly proves it opened upon release ! You can draw your own conclusions but I want buy anymore.
[URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/1longb ... 7.jpg.html]Image
[URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/1longb ... 8.jpg.html]Image
[URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/1longb ... 3.jpg.html]Image
[URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/1longb ... 5.jpg.html]Image
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
bubba

Post by bubba »

Hey bud..I'm alright with that...I absolutely respect your way of doing things...Hell we all can't be from the south.. SMILE...Carry on sir...
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Lol Bubba!!
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks for that 8pt. The funny thing is that it looks like the same as mine. You shot from 40 yards low, I was shooting at 50 so mine were even lower.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
fergie

Post by fergie »

I must be one of the lucky ones. I have yet to have a problem with rage heads. started using them a few years ago with my exomag and took a few turkeys out to 50 yards with them and now using the extremes 2.3" with my m380 and hit bang on with the practice and real head with no extra bands just the shock collar.
matrix 380 blackout "Reaper", nchunterkw flemish string, triggertech single stage, matrix munch mount, Rhinehart Block, 18" zombie slayers c/o big john
fully dressed in drstirrup is the "reaper"
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Thebig1, Those shots at 40 were aimed at the small black pieces of tape to check for POI and the actual Rage head was aimed at the green spot in the center of the the Water jug . Not a real serious test but opened my eyes ! Thanks Bubba !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hey Big1. I'm glad you didn't discover that on a buck of a lifetime. :D Good job on your due diligence. Question for you; what are your arrows fletched with. I've shot blazers fletched with a big offset vs blazers fletched with extreme helical from an Arizona Bolt E-Z Fletcher. The extreme helical stabilizes so much faster and in my testing has resulted in much tighter groups....especially with broadheads. Something to consider. I'm not saying go back to the Rage, don't care for them myself and won't use them again. I'm talking about great fixed broadheads that do give me the same poi as my field points. Like you, I also like the same poi. The two top performers I've tried are the toxics and especially the QAD Exodus. I haven't shot the Muzzys in years but always had great results with them.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Paul, they're the stock Diablo's that came with the Grizzly package. I believe they're either straight or with a slight helical.

I just called Jerry at South Shore Archery this morning and ordered a dozen bolts from him. He helped me over the phone. He recommended 3" vanes instead of 2" and said that in his experience they stabilize the bolt and help it spin better. I hear he's an artist when it comes to custom arrows so I'm excited about receiving them.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Toxics, if the Muzzy's don't perform as required by me, that'll be another to put on the list for me to try.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
fergie

Post by fergie »

so after reading all the negatives in the last few months about rage broadheads I decided to do some shooting this afternoon. 2 shots with both rage 100gr and 125gr practice heads with my big john 18" zombies, 100 gr bang on at 50 yards and the 125gr just a touch low and not enough of a difference to change anything with the scope. next threw on a 100gr 2 blade crossbow extreme 2.3" cut and 2 blade 125gr crossbow 2" broadheads. took 12 shots with each and put a new shock collar after each shot and all shots were in the middle green circle of my rienhard 18" target ( 4" circle) the 125gr heads were hitting low in the circle and the 100gr heads were mid circle. not one out of 24 shots that I took landed even close to be outside that circle and really they were grouping around 3" in the wind today which I thought was pretty good for a windy day even if I was shooting field points. I have a drstirrup with the plastic collar around the heads so I know for a fact none of them opened on launch and all looked to be opening perfect when I checked the target........... of course this is just me testing them out in my field with no slow motion cameras or anything like that to actually see if they open in flight. but I've been using these rage since the 2" 2 blade with rubber band before they came out with the shock collar and have yet to experience a failure and the only 2 times I missed a deer with them, I hit a branch and the arrow exploded and the next shot at the same deer a couple of minutes later I shot right under the vitals because I thought the deer was closer than it was because I didn't have time to range him...... my fault not the broadhead.
now this is my experience and your millage may vary. :lol:
matrix 380 blackout "Reaper", nchunterkw flemish string, triggertech single stage, matrix munch mount, Rhinehart Block, 18" zombie slayers c/o big john
fully dressed in drstirrup is the "reaper"
Chefrific

Post by Chefrific »

:lol:

-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex