Boltcutter accuracy--need input

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

figam

Boltcutter accuracy--need input

Post by figam »

I'm shooting fire bolts with bolt cutters and lumenocks this year as I had 2 problems with mechanicals last year (injured and lost 2 deer) which is very unusual. Want to know your experiences with bolt cutters, especially at 30 plus yard ranges. Thanks, I rarely participate but read the forum for all the great ideas you guys and gals have. Thanks again.
Steve Gardner
hankenhunter

Re: Boltcutter accuracy--need input

Post by hankenhunter »

I've been using them since I bought my bow and joined the forum. They have never let me down. Very tough robust broadhead. They group very well but don't shoot exactly like your field points so you will need to adjust a few clicks on your scope. Blade changing is very easy with no tiny screws to fart around with. Oh yeah, almost forgot, I have filled my tags every years and never lost an animal. Jmo.
Hank
JimG

Post by JimG »

Boltcutters and Firebolts are all I've used for the last 3 years. Zero issues with durability and accuracy out to 50 yards.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

They fly like a dart, tuff as nails, and kill as good as any broadhead you can buy... Innerloc makes a great head!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
SEW

Post by SEW »

I'm a died in the wool expandible shooter (FOCs and Spitfires); however, I've set up xbows to shoot fixed BHs. Nothing seemed as accurate as Boltcutters and Xbow Tricks(150 & 175g Slick Tricks).
Out of curiosity, what expandibles did you use?
ExCal

Post by ExCal »

Just got my Boltcutters yesterday... Can't wait to get them in the field!!

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah3 ... 6j5e2g.jpg
"Archery does not get difficult or hard to understand until the arrow misses."

Milan E. Elott - Preface to "Why We Miss"

Excalibur Grizzly
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Shot placement is everything.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
CrazyAce

Post by CrazyAce »

excal's image:

-SnotRocket-
Matrix 405
DLX scope
TriggerTech 2.5#
DrStirrup rig
8ptbuk, vixenmaster, Boo Flemish String
Zombie Slayer, Executioner
Wabi Call
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

They shoot great! Shot several deer with em so far.Only thing I don't like are the lack of a blood trail on really good hits sometimes.Its like if the deer has a lot of fat the hole just plugs up on the exit wound..They usually don't go far though and some expire and go down while watching em.I have seen blood trails from the start where they were standing go 30 yds more and no more blood.Like I said.I think the fat plugs the hole up.But they usually don't go far.A better blood trail would help.Mine shoot like my field points.At least they seem to.
Richieg150

Post by Richieg150 »

I shoot the 20 inch firebolt arrows with the .150 grain field tips and .150 grain bolt hunting tips in my Axiom. I have hunted the past 3 years and they never let me down. I added Luminoks to my arrows this year because last year I shot a doe at 25 yards and couldn't find my arrow, I have shot several doe's and have had problems finding my arrows in the brush, I hunt in a tree stand. Heres a video I made sighting in my Tach Zone Scope I decided to use this year, the Bolt broad heads seem to have the same POA as my field tips. Have several friends using .100 grain mechanicals, they all have had a few misses.... their field tips are not .100 grain like their broadheads.... is that why, I'm not sure. You will be pleased with the Bolts...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t71RKhvvS6A
Psalm 144:1-1 Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.
2 He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me