Insert glue

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flatone

Insert glue

Post by flatone »

Does anyone use epoxy to glue in the inserts? I used carbon express superglue on the last set of BE ZS I put together and I have 2 inserts in my rhinehart target....

I need to go put some more together... I have some gorilla superglue, thinking about giving that a try.
Matrix 380
xcaliber

Re: Insert glue

Post by xcaliber »

If you shoot field points into the rinehart 18-1, or any real dense rubber target, the heat generated will do this. I only use the 18-1 for broadheads! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Assuming you prepare your shafts and inserts properly, nothing is better than epoxy (not the 5 minute stuff).
I use the blue top Gorilla glue but go through great lengths to ensure adhesion.
Some people just like stepping on rakes

Post by newbie »

I use jb weld exclusively and shoot mostly into a rhino block. I have yet to loose an insert with a field tip.
I also go through great length to ensure insert adhesion.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I use the arrow puller, and put a choke hold on mine to test for adhesion, none come out! :shock: I have lost two out about 150 in the 18-1, I'm interested in the JB weld Mike, which type are you using? I have recently purchased a two part epoxy to try, but have not yet had time. Boo, I use the same Gorilla based on your suggestions, and also do a lot of preparation. I never lost one with the Ibex, or Vortex, but the 355, and Micro did me nasty! :lol: :lol:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

After watching some super glue adhesion testing on YouTube I've been using the G5 blue glue. This stuff is amazing....pricey, but amazing. I do go to great lengths to ensure my inserts and shafts are clean but not to the extent of Boo. My ocd isn't as extreme as his in this regard. :mrgreen: I also use it on my fletching. Have you tried it yet Don?
........btw, highly recommend.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.

Post by newbie »

Dan I use just the original cold weld. I can get through a dozen arrows, weighing each one to get them matched up adding or removing a little glue, before it sets too much to work with.
I use it as it's too hard to find a good 24 hour epoxy otherwise, everyone is in too much of a hurry anymore all, or should I say most epoxy sold is 5 10 15 min quick set.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I will have to give it a try. I tried insert Iron, 72 hour cure, still not up to snuff for me.
Thanks Mike.
Paul, the G5 is great for vanes, not the best for inserts in my opinion.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Paul, the G5 glue you sent me works really well. Might be better than Gorilla glue. Considering it is not a gel, I think the adhesion is going to be better. I might use it exclusively on my vanes when my supply of Gorilla glue is gone.
Donno about your opinion on my OCD. But I do have an opinion on your OCD :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:Paul, the G5 glue you sent me works really well. Might be better than Gorilla glue. Considering it is not a gel, I think the adhesion is going to be better. I might use it exclusively on my vanes when my supply of Gorilla glue is gone.
Donno about your opinion on my OCD. But I do have an opinion on your OCD :mrgreen:
Setting up a "Title Match"!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Boo wrote:Paul, the G5 glue you sent me works really well. Might be better than Gorilla glue. Considering it is not a gel, I think the adhesion is going to be better. I might use it exclusively on my vanes when my supply of Gorilla glue is gone.
Setting up a "Title Match"!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I knew that was coming! :lol: :lol:
SEC-ond 2 none

Post by SEC-ond 2 none »

Will the blue top Gorilla glue and the G5 Blue glue get "brittle" in cold weather hunting conditions ?

Happy Trails
Stephen
Matrix 380
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

I been having great luck with a product known as 3006 Insert Weld. I been a using it on my 2117's and 2219 crossbow arrows with good results....
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

SEC-ond 2 none wrote:Will the blue top Gorilla glue and the G5 Blue glue get "brittle" in cold weather hunting conditions ?

Happy Trails
Stephen
I shot five hogs in thirty below zero last year and vanes and inserts were no problem. Funny thing though, my cock vane got ripped off on the little mulie I shot in early September. ??? Time will be the test as this will be my second year with the G5 blue glue. I've found some just get brittle with age.....like goat tuff.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I also use the G5 glue and love it...I have not lost an insert since changing over to it...I also love the bottle design EXCEPT the actual applicator...it seems too large resulting in too much in vane application...anybody else experience this?....

....here is my solution...I have bought a bunch of syringes (for gluing purposes) and 18 gauge applicators to go on the front....they are soooo cheap on eBay so for the "x" amount of times in the course of a year that I will be gluing something I will just throw them away...that is unless there are no issues with acetone cleaning.....below are the links to what I bought!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111562786361?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111208121881?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings