Woody Williams

Declining Hunter Skills: Desire for Quick, Easy Harvest Lack

Post by Woody Williams »

GOOD ARTICLE and food for thought...

Larry Castle
Chief of Wildlife
[email protected]

What is deer hunting to you?

Is it riding your ATV to a heated shooting house overlooking a green patch and waiting for the deer to come? Is this the way that you are introducing your children and grandchildren to deer hunting? If you answered yes to either of the preceding questions, you may not particularly care for the remainder of this column.

Wildlife biologists today have a serious concern for the future of deer hunting because of what we perceive as a decline in hunter skills. The desire to harvest a deer quickly and easily with no acquired skill appears to be growing, consequently, the ability to harvest a deer without the benefit of an unnatural attractant appears to be declining. We consistently receive criticism about perceived declining deer populations. A portion of this criticism originates from food plot hunters who base their perception of deer population density on the number of animals they observe while spending a hunting season overlooking a green field.

Do not misunderstand me. Supplemental plantings are an excellent method to provide high quality deer forage in late winter. These plantings also provide an opportunity to view and harvest antlerless deer, both of which are critical to some deer managers. Proper planting, placement, and rotation of hunting pressure will optimize the effectiveness of hunting supplemental plantings.

You can follow this issue nationally as organizations such as the Boone and Crockett Club labor over issues such as the harvest of deer behind high fences. This issue permeates all methods of deer hunting. For example, the Pope and Young Club is regularly discussing the percent let-off of bows as modern archery equipment continues to "advance." The popularity of canned hunts is currently growing and state conservation agency efforts to outlaw these experiences are ongoing.

The concept of fair chase usually surfaces in these issues. Since my initiation into the field of wildlife resource management, I have heard that the State cannot legislate morality or hunter ethics. I accept that morality cannot be legislated, but to me, hunter ethics is a different matter. First, one question must be answered. Is fair chase as it relates to hunting a hunter ethics issue? I certainly believe that it is and that fair chase must be legislated in some situations. There is nothing new or original in my thinking. We have been legislating fair chase for decades. For example, headlighting deer is not considered fair chase. It is illegal.

The opportunities provided by technology and dollars to harvest an animal is new. Some members of the hunting community warmly embrace these advances because they conveniently offer a means to take an animal with reduced hunter skills and a minimal investment of time.

Sure, society is changing. We live in the hurry-up-and-get-it-quick age. It is only logical that this philosophy has crept into the hunting realm. My concern is that it will erode time honored values and traditions associated with ethical hunting and hunters.

Since hunting for survival began thousands of years ago, skill has been an imperative for hunter success. Hunters learned animal behavior, how to "read" animal "sign" and weapon proficiency. Therefore, success was directly related to these acquired skills. Increasingly, this is not the trend today. We have a growing number of hunters who only have the ability to locate a green plot and hang a stand.

A case in point is the growing popularity of "attractants" which are available commercially. These products are touted as the "wonder" substance that will bring the deer to you. I have been going to a local discount store now for a decade and smirking at all the deer attracting gimmicks. One year I was so amused at the volume of products that I took pictures. This year I was appalled; they had to have another complete set of shelves to hold it all.

A second case in point is the interest in legalized baiting in Mississippi. Several of us have had the opportunity to attend public meetings where this issue has been discussed. One gentleman really amazed me. He asked publicly, "How are we going to teach our kids to hunt if we can't use corn?" What about all the deer feeders that are being sold? It seems that every sporting goods store, feed store and farm supply store now sells feeders to "help hunters, help the deer." The disease dangers of feeding or baiting deer are more real today than any time in the past. There is aerosol, saliva, excreta, and direct contact transmission of some really scary diseases out there today. So, how is feeding or baiting "helping" the deer?

We have an overpopulated deer herd in most of Mississippi. Agricultural damage by deer is a common occurrence. Deer numbers in urban settings are increasing, while problems such as Lyme Disease and deer/vehicle collisions continue. I have heard these facts given as justification to remove all the deer we can, any way that we can. This does not wash with me. I value the sport to much to support that justification.

Non-hunter opinions and perceptions must be considered in future hunting related issues. Support of sport hunting as the only means of managing deer populations is mandatory if we desire to be able to enjoy the privilege of hunting in the future. Non-hunters comprise about 80% of the residents in most states. Surveys consistently indicate that non-hunters support hunting if it is done ethically, professionally, and in a manner where fair chase is employed. In addition, non-hunters support hunting when the venison from the animal is efficiently utilized.

Solutions: I have nothing simplistic to offer. In my opinion, hunting skills must be preserved. Hunting where little or no skill is involved and fair chase is speculative will be viewed as unethical and will not be supported by the majority of citizens if hunting becomes a ballot box issue.
Finally, more of us as hunters should be learning the behavior of deer, studying the art of patterning deer, and becoming woodsmen again, rather than deer shooters. Have a great deer season and a safe deer season.

http://www.mdwfp.com/wildlifeissues/art ... article=75
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
terry-1

deer

Post by terry-1 »

Looks like something you would read over at bowsite. I am sometimes reminded of my days over there as a stickbow hunter before my car wreak that put a crossbow into my hands instead of the woodstick. Alot of the guys there were really nice and not so narrow minded to other weapons and forms of hunting. Others seem to feel they were better than everyone else if you did not follow their ways of thought. I think this guy falls the later group. First, I hunt both green fields/ feeders and natural trails scrapes and such. Even indians used bait such as fruit/ water holes to hunt did they not? Now, I think woodmans ship should no doubt be learned no one should be limted to sitting on a green patch and not nothing else.The more skills you have the better hunter you will be. This is a easy fact to see when a guy kills 3 deer during season with a longbow and a guy goes home empty handed during rifle season. Even with a better weapon you still must find the deer in the end. As long as someone Is hunting legal I choose not to judge them or think I am a better hunter because of some choice I made. After all everyone is different, some people may not have as much time to hunt as me do to a job or family.As long as they are happy and legal with their choices go have a good time and enjoy the woods. They could be out doing far worse things.
maple

Post by maple »

Woody,

Good article and well written. Very interesting. This Larry Castle guy is certainly in a position to have seen it all, and is obviously concerned about some of what he has seen. However I think he's a bit too much of a white knight. Hunter skills and ethics? There have always been those who do not conform to somebody elses norms of morality. But why nit-pick about them to that extent? As long as the game laws are obeyed - they are there for exactly that reason - and you feel proud of what you have done, go for it. Get into the woods and enjoy it. Take your kids. Share the venison.

Lack of hunter skills? Let me tell you. Some days, you can drive by a field in your car and see dozens of deer in it. Some days you can have three or four deer pass under your stand close enough to harvest. With the number of deer around these days, some days it doesn't take a whole lot of smarts to find them. Other days, there are none.

Attractor scents, rattling, calling, decoying, playing the wind, scent control, camoflage, stealth, BOWHUNTING, etc. etc. There have been BOOKS AND BOOKS written on these topics every year. These are definitely skill used by many hunters today and honed to near perfection by some. That's a darn lot better that 30 or 50 years ago when hunters commonly ran through the woods behind packs of dogs, or stood beside a tree with a 30-06 smokin' a cigarette.

I'd say there's lots more hunter skills in play these days, not less.

Maple
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

I think that is a very well written article and I know that some people won't like to hear this but.... I agree with him (Larry Castle).... I hunt with a long bow, crossbow, muzzle loader and I used to hunt with rifles (I would hunt with a sharpened popsicle stick if that's all that was allowed) and I have seen all kinds of hunters (excuse the generalization because some of them shouldn't be classed as hunters)..... every year I have had to spend time either gutting someone elses kill or tracking some wounded animal that another hunter has given up on or asked by another camp / hunter to track animals that have been shot at (maybe hit, maybe not... usually they aren't sure)... and in some cases have had to be a part of putting down animals that have survived for days (maybe weeks) before putting an end to them.... and some of those weren't even fit for the table when I found them........ I don't preach my way to anyone but the focus of the article was about declining skills and everybody can make their own judgements based on their life experiences... in my experience there is no question about it.... skills are definately in a decline.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Skills are aquired. Some of them are taught by our elders, but in the end it is us who must improve. The ones that "hunt" 1 week a year are unlikely to obtain those skills. Then there are folks like us who seem to hunt year round.

Post by Guest »

There are deer hunters and there are deer killers! If you want my opinion (I doubt it) they should do away with shotgun season here in my State. I am tired of seeing the things these guys do around here in the name of a hunting sport. Pushing deer through the timber into a line of hunters with 12 gauges loaded to the hilt with 3-inch magnum slugs is not a sport! It is repugnant, revolting slaughter, and a disgusting display brutality. It takes no skill, no intelligence and no integrity. Dam them all! But hey that’s just my opinion.
BUCKSHOT

Humm

Post by BUCKSHOT »

There are several good points made in reply to this issue!
I believe that stocking is a more pure method of hunting than blatently scaring the hell out of eveything in the bush, whether you use a gun or a bow.
I also believe it is human nature to simplify a task as much as possible, that does not mean that we are cutting corners, so much as being efficient.
As with all aspects in life there are good mechanics and bad mechanics.
Good hunters and bad hunters!
Hats off to the conscientous hunters who take the time to learn their task and perform it efficiently!
Just a side thought, is it the fault of the hunter that populations are so large?
Most hunters are doing the deer herds a favour by controlling the numbers to some extent, but from what I have read lately, there are several areas suffering over population, including Ontario!
It seems wise to me that the Biologists here have endorsed additional seals in certain areas, perhaps we are being pro-active for once.
Regardless, it is sad that many people grab a gun/bow and go! Without truly understanding the task at hand, but there are also many who take the sport seriously and deserve credit for doing so!
To me, it would be the fault of certain govenments for allowing overpopulation, which has made it so easy for some folks to take the easy kill!
If there were less Deer some folks would refine their skills, and some would simply give up! :?
Enjoy the Harvest!
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Yeah, we have a lot more gadgets today... scents, camo popup tents, superb camo wear to match every foilage in North America...and then some, ATV's, portable tree stands, using bait of all kinds...

So what? The deer are smarter than ever and populations are going through the roof! Urban deer are one of the biggest problems ever in car related accidents.

Now we critisize hunter's abilities? There were always slobs and always will be. Just like in every other sport there are the great, not-so-great, mediocre, and slobs. What difference does it make if these folks have all the gadgets in the world? There are so many deer around now, that practices which would normally did not produce kills, now do. However, getting a large buck still is far from easy. Spikes, forkhorns, six points, get shot by the dozens before a bruiser comes along.

I suppose you have to write about something. The past always seems better, purer. Hunters were like this and that. Baloney!
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

Yeah, we have a lot more gadgets today... scents, camo popup tents, superb camo wear to match every foilage in North America...and then some, ATV's, portable tree stands, using bait of all kinds...

So what? The deer are smarter than ever and populations are going through the roof! Urban deer are one of the biggest problems ever in car related accidents.
I've been hunting a long time and I don't notice a lot of change in them...... maybe it's just that fewer people put in the time to develop skills and it just seems like it's harder in general.
Now we critisize hunter's abilities? There were always slobs and always will be. Just like in every other sport there are the great, not-so-great, mediocre, and slobs. What difference does it make if these folks have all the gadgets in the world? There are so many deer around now, that practices which would normally did not produce kills, now do. However, getting a large buck still is far from easy. Spikes, forkhorns, six points, get shot by the dozens before a bruiser comes along.
I couldn't agree more... but there are also a number of those same types of deer shot at and not recovered because pulling the trigger is easy.... the work comes after.... just because there are more deer doesn't make it ok.
I suppose you have to write about something. The past always seems better, purer. Hunters were like this and that. Baloney!
I don't know... I wasn't there.... but I have got to wonder about those hunters from the past.... turkeys are apparently the geniouses of the bird world but had to be reintroduced into Ontario..... I may be going out on a limb here but I doubt that those guy's were using camoflaged coveralls, grease paint, face masks, hen decoys, slate and glass, box calls, camoflaged shotguns and such... but they seemed to do OK without them..... just my opinion...