indexing your 1.5" cut fixed broadhead.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gendoc

indexing your 1.5" cut fixed broadhead.

Post by gendoc »

when assembling a broadhead to your arra, make sure your blades do not contact the stirrup when fired :shock:

so paying attention to the blade(s) is critical every time you load.

and its easy to be distracted either hunting or just shooting.
or if your like me, age and remembering are at a constant battle.

example, before daylight.....your at your fav spot for that big buck.
you cock your bow and load the arra....did you notice if you indexed it correct ?

that could mean a miss along with loosing a $40 arra....... :cry:

I lost one yesterday checking my 380 with my hunting rig. xx75,125gr striker mag and ignitor nock. :oops:

it was late afternoon so I thought i'd wait till dark to find....nope it didn't happen. what I did find was a small cut on the topside of the stirrup :roll:

I know to most of us here this is common knowledge. but sometimes
sh..stuff happens. justa heads up to remember. :mrgreen:

Hmmmmm maybe an offset stirrup will work, is there such a thing ??
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
SEC-ond 2 none

Re: indexing your 1.5" cut fixed broadhead.

Post by SEC-ond 2 none »

DrStirrup ! This may be just the "ticket" for brosdhead clearance. Check out the web site.

Happy Trails
Stephen
Matrix 380
Drew

Post by Drew »

Gendoc, I've been playing with some large (up to 2") broadheads and specifically indexed the inserts to the cock vane so they head is always horizontal when loaded. So I fletched first then screwed the broadhead into the insert and then glued the insert into the arrow and aligned it properly. Only takes a second in the dark to ensure the correct vane is down. (I actually use the head to tell me which fletch should be down as all my vanes are the same color).
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
bubba

Post by bubba »

This is good advice for sure.. I missed a doe last year at 30 yards, using a Swhacker. At that time i had my stirrup wrapped in paracord and had the head with the blades vertical with the rail. Needless to say i missed the doe completely. Talk about a sick feeling. I have since made sure all my inserts and heads are lined up horizontal to my rail. So good point gendoc...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
galamb

Post by galamb »

At least you only launched 1 arrow.

I lost two last year to the bean field behind my target when testing Blood Runner II's.

Not that they are fixed, but they deploy, at least momentarily upon firing (springs just aren't strong enough to take the initial "whack" of the string upon firing).

I had indexed them parallel to the cock feather (vane).

At first I thought I had just slipped a nock (partial dry fire) - it was that shot where you get excess vibration and the arrow is nowhere in sight.

It wasn't until after the second shot, that I noticed go "over" the target by about 6 feet (with the accompanying vibration) that I noticed the shiny new groove cut in the stirrup right beside the one (obviously) from the first arrow.

With only one of my three, 45 dollar a pack blades remaining, I re-indexed it perpendicular to the cock feather and it shot perhaps the best of any head I have ever tested.

But since 30 bucks worth of heads and two $10/ea carbon bolts were now "somewhere" in the couple hundred acres of soyabeans (and I looked to no avail) I relegated the last head to the "tackle box" :lol:
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS