sound off about sound.....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcat

sound off about sound.....

Post by bobcat »

i have a micro 335. stock bow. when i got it the dealer did not have the air brakes in stock. he did put the little brake pad things on the limbs tips for the string which came off about ten shots later.....

anyway from a hunters perspective, how important is it and what lengths no you go to to lessen the sound on your bows?

are the air brakes, brake pads , string silencers, fleish string,rubber gizmos worth messing with?

i know you lose some speed which doesnt bother me.

so lets have some opinions.....

Dont worry about it?

go full pull to lessen the sound?

even if you do lessen it what sound is still there still traveling the same speed so its pointless?
georgiaboy

Re: sound off about sound.....

Post by georgiaboy »

I quit worrying about sound years ago. Use to go through all the motion's to quiet down my bow...i couldn't tell much of a difference and neither could the deer.
All i have on my bow's is the S5, more for a dryfire than anything else. :)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

My Nitemare came wid the REDS, thats it. Deer don't care what the sound is thats kills them, :lol: Jus ave yer money n kill'em! :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Although I did some stuff to dampen the sound such as put a flemish string on, switch to baby bumpers and shoot a heavier arrow. The main reason for the changes I made were to help dampen the vibration from the shot. Maybe it's me but my 335 felt like a mini earthquake vibration wise when i first got it and shot it.
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
BULLZ-i

Post by BULLZ-i »

I BOUGHT THE AIR BRAKES AT THE SAME TIME AS THE 335 AND INSTALLED THEM FIRST THING, SO I DONT KNOW WHAT IT REALLY SOUNDS LIKE WITHOUT. I AM IMPRESSED WITH HOW QUIET AND VIBRATION FREE IT IS IN COMPARISON TO ALL THE XBOWS I HAVE EVER SHOT OR BEEN AROUND THO.

I MUST SAY, BEING BEHIND THE TRIGGER IS A DIFFERENT AND LOUDER SOUND THEN BEING OFF TO THE SIDE AS A SPECTATOR.
GO HAWKS!
galamb

Post by galamb »

Crossbows are NOISY.

Doesn't matter what you do to them, how much you add, what accessories you put on etc, they are still going to be noisy.

I think we all go through the same phase.

On my Vix II I have dissipator bars, S5's, string whiskers and Limbsaver dampeners (a few different types) and it's still LOUD.

But it sure does look "cool" with all that junk hangin' off of it :lol:
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I silenced my Micro,,,, why,,, I don't really know, I guess it was better than anything else I had to do at the time,,,,, do I think I will kill more deer,,,, not for one second!!!!

I also custom camo'd it,,, do I think it's better matched to my surrounding now??? No not really, I just think it's purdier, and no one else has one like it!!!

It's all about self satisfaction, most that worry about the noise of there bows usually have far more important things they should worry about,,,,, you have a nice bow, practice with it and go kill a big ole Buck,,,,, :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....your 335 as it comes...is fairly quiet...cross bows are noisy to begin with.I would not worry at all...The sound dampening is more for the hunter than the hunted...these bows are that fast...now if you are launching missiles than you might consider the new silencing products by DrStirrup...they do work...those who attended Boofest in July received his product for free and I see a noticeable difference on both my 335 and 380.

...Hope this helps,

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

I've had people compare my 335 to an airgun when they hear it shoot.

Is it loud, not so much anymore. Like I wrote earlier abovr, alot of the stuff I did was for vibration dampening due to our ear and jaw bone etc touches the stock when shooting thus amplifing the sound due to the vibration.
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

I don't worry about the noise anymore either.. I use a flemish DM string, shoot a 408 grain arrow and wrap the stirrup... That's it....

Do I wish they were more quiet, sure I do but I'm not worrying about it anymore.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

i was going to get the air brakes (still might) but i read where you need to take them off if you are planning on unstringing your bow in the off season. maybe thats fodder for another thread..............
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

As mentioned, these bows are all loud. Period. The steps we can take will definitely help but in the end they're still loud. I've shrink wrapped my arrow retainer, had my stirrup sprayed with rhino liner, stuck a couple limb savers I had to my mainframe and stirrup retainer, and switched to a boo Flemish string. It is quieter and has less felt shock than the factory setup but is still loud. What my changes have done is make the bow more pleasant to shoot. If I wanted to take it a little further I could go with an original 40 strand boo string with whiskers and a very heavy arrow somewhere around 550-600 grains. This would of course slow down my setup but I'm fine with how it is with the sound and speed. You're gonna have to play with it and see how far you want to go. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Tom

Post by Tom »

For all have stated above, noise is not that critical to the deer. This is where arrow speed is important. When the arrow gets there before the deer has time to hear the sound, and then time to react, it means the sound does not matter. By keeping your shots at a reasonable distance you should be Ok.

In my opinion, since arrows make noise during flight, and are flying directly towards the animal, the animal will react more to that then the sound from the crossbow. So when you quiet the bow, you are doing that more just for you and your shooting pleasure. The question is, how far do you want to go.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

I did manage to lessen the "ping" and vibration from the retainer spring, by installing a Bowjax retainer dampener. Installed one of those round dampeners, on my single post quiver mount, and that made quite a difference in the vibration. I use the S5's also, still noisy as the day is long, but it sure did lessen the shock. Sure makes for a smooth shooting bow...
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
Drew

Post by Drew »

An arrow will never outrun the speed of sound so does it really matter? Now granted, I like a quite bow so the wife and dogs don't get irritated when I shoot in the basement. :lol:

An interesting observation...I watch quite a few hunting shows and usually slow-mo the shot and impact when I can. It seems that the deer (or whatever animal) is no so much jumping the string as they are "flinching" away from motion in their peripheral vision. I've been paying attention to this phenomena for awhile now and it seems they typically start to drop/lean away when the arrow is 2-3 arrow lengths away. And I'm sure this is also distance dependent. This just reinforces to me my self induced max distance of 40yds. You just can't predict where the animal is going to be when they start to move. Just some thoughts...
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads