Testing Has Begun: Ramcat vs Slick Trick: UPDATED

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Testing Has Begun: Ramcat vs Slick Trick: UPDATED

Post by nchunterkw »

My plan for this year is to evaluate the Ramcat versus the Slick Trick broadhead. As such I assembled 4 identical arrows for my Micro (16" Zombies, 110gr brass inserts, 2" Trueflight feathers, 125gr field points) and got sighted in. Yesterday I put 125gr Ramcats on arrows #1 and #2 and 125 gr Slick Trick Magnums on arrows #3 and #4. As far as installation goes, the Ramcats were a bit easier. I just screwed them on that they both spun perfectly. One Slick Trick went on the same way, but I had to adjust and re-adjust the washer on the second Slick Trick to get a perfect spinner. Upon initial testing all 4 arrows were within 1 1/2" at 20 yds. The Ramcats seemed to hit same hole - but about 1/2" left of the Slick Tricks. So I made a small adjustment (3 clicks of the Hawke XB-30 so about 0.3" at 20yds) and all arrows were hitting within a 1" circle. Shooting at 40 yds showed that all arrows flew well and were within the small black bulls eye of my Rinehart 18:1.

At this point both BHs are performing well, with maybe a slight edge in flight to the Ramcats. The testament to this is that I have 2 differenrt BHs on 4 different arrows and am shooting great groups at 40 yds with the "mixed bag" of arrows. This is only possible with 2 high quality heads. And I have no qualms about hunting with either. I took 5 deer with Slick Tricks last year and none went over 50 yds. But the Ramcats intrigued me.

STEP 2 is to harvest deer with these 4 arrows, God willing, and evaluate blood trails, and wound channels.
Last edited by nchunterkw on Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
TheBig1

Re: Testing Has Begun: Ramcat vs Slick Trick

Post by TheBig1 »

I love this kind of stuff on this forum. I'll keep my eyes open for more evaluations on these two broadheads.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
BULLZ-i

Post by BULLZ-i »

HERE'S WHAT A SLICK TRICK (MAGNUM) CAN DO WITH COMPOUND GEAR.

WELL LEMME FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST A PIC, NOT THE SAME AS OTHER SITES I'M GUESSING.

GO HAWKS!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Very interesting. I've shot slicks for years and those little buggers make a bigger hole than they have any business making. I'll be watching for your results.
.....Hey Bullz-i, seems we're almost neighbors, I'm just north of the line from you.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
buzrdluck

Post by buzrdluck »

interesting. I am trying my old stand by g5 montecs vs ramcats, only in 100gr version. south shore executioners, 92gr brass inserts, 2" blazers, aluminum nocks out of my camo 380. tagged out last year with the g5's but the ramcats are worthy i feel
Just Let Me Make It To The Woods

matrix 380
Redfield Revenge
18" zombie slayers
18" bee south shore
100gr G5 Montec
100gr ramcats
xcaliber flemish string
excalxbowner

Post by excalxbowner »

I appreciate posts like this too! Never knew i should spin test my Slick Tricks.
Matrix 355
Diablo bolts
150 grain Slick Tricks
Boltcutter BH
BULLZ-i

Post by BULLZ-i »

SPIN TEST AND IF YOU DO HAVE A BIT OF WOBBLE, BACK OFF THE THREADS AND MOVE YOUR WASHER A 1/4 TURN UNTIL THERE IS NO WOBBLE, IF THAT DONT WORK IT OUT MIX AND MATCH YOUR B/H's AND BOLTS UNTIL THERE IS NO WOBBLE AND YOUR BROAD HEADS WILL FLY A LOT MORE CONSISTENT.

FIXED BROAD HEADS CAN & WILL GRAB AIR IN FLIGHT AND IT CAN AFFECT POINT OF IMPACT DIFFERENTLY THAN FIELD TIPS AND ESPECIALLY AT GREATER DISTANCES IT WILL OPEN UP FURTHER, SO TAKING OUT AS MUCH WOBBLE AS POSSIBLE WILL ENSURE THAT YOU GET YOUR BEST GROUPINGS AT THOSE DISTANCES.

TUNING IS NOT AS TECHNICAL FROM A XBOW AS IS FROM VERTICALS, BUT STILL VERY IMPORTANT.
GO HAWKS!
Big John

Post by Big John »

Very good post Keith. :)
I've done lots of testing with heads as well.
For those wanting to use G5 Montecs or Strykers they Fly very well out to 50 yds.
I am also a big fan of Slicktricks. Tried them all. And agree that they must be spun and trued before distance shooting. This has been the norm for a while. But it is "very" good idea to remind people often!
I have not seen or heard of anyone using the Ramcats, so I am very intrigued! :wink:
I will be looking forward to seeing some pics. :mrgreen: It is getting real close to opener!!!!!!!!

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I hope to have my first data point shortly after sunrise on Saturday morning. :mrgreen:
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Chefrific

Post by Chefrific »

Season opener for me is tomorrow! I'll be slinging Ramcats from my Micro this year. If I get lucky, I'll post up the results.

One interesting point to make is that I also tested the new spitfire "xxx" mech head and it's poi is exactly the same as my 100 grain ramcats. Maybe I'll get to test both out this season. Sure hope so!
-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I haven't shot the Ramcats but I hear a lot from my friends about how well they fly. One of my friends tested the Slick Trick Mags last year out to 70 yards with his compound bow. He told me the Ramcats started winning the accuracy test just past 40 yards. I used to shoot the slick Trick Mags but since the Grizztricks shoot the same and cut a bigger hole I switched to them last year. I can shoot a 1 inch group at 40 yards with them and am very pleased with the blood trails and slug holes the make.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Eric...I know what you mean. I had zero issues with my Slick Trick Mags last year. Lots of blood and short trails. The Ramcats just intrigued me. Some of those videos are remarkable at how much blood is pouring out....and right from the point of entry immediately. So I wanted to see if there was any improvement over the Slicks. Check out some videos on Youtube
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Re: Testing Has Begun: Ramcat vs Slick Trick - UPDATED

Post by nchunterkw »

New Results:
I shot a small doe last evening with the Ramcat. Distance was 30 yds and the arrow flew well (my first time with a lighted nock - and THAT is awesome) and made a complete pass-through. The hit was behind the shoulder through the ribs on a broadside deer so a pass through at that distance with that shot is to be expected with about any fixed blade head - but still good performance. However, the arrow was no where to be found, so it travelled a good distance after the shot. Bummer as I lost it but evidence of good penetration.
I did not take pics as it was early enough for me to sit back down and try to shoot another, but here is what I found with the blood trail. Initial blood was found within 1-2ft of the impact point. For the first 5 yards or so it was 5 or 6 good drops in a 3" circle every 3ft or so. After that it continued to increase in volume and frequency for the next 20 yards (5" spots every 2ft - almost continuous). At that point I had that type of blood on both sides of the trail in the same amount and frequency for the next 5 yards. Then there was a 2ft diameter area covered with drops of blood and a dead deer laying 2 yards away - 90degrees from the original direction of travel. All told it went about 30 yards. Based on my recollection from last year - it was probably more blood than a Slick Trick Mag but not by much - and I had no trouble following the trails last year. I'll put a Slick Trick arrow in the rail for the next opportunity and hopefully I can compare a little better.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
bob1961

Re: Testing Has Begun: Ramcat vs Slick Trick: UPDATED

Post by bob1961 »

yeah they do make a hole bigger then one would think....

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.