Frustrating Day of Shooting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheBig1

Frustrating Day of Shooting

Post by TheBig1 »

So last night was like Christmas. I came home work to find two packages received. A new string from 8ptbuk and a box of Diablo's and Bolt Cutters from another forum member. Woo Hoo!!!! By the time I got that new string put on it was getting too late to shoot.

So I ended up coming home early from work today. I set up my shooting table and target to try out the Bolt Cutters to see how they fly. But first I was going to have to switch practice points from 100gr to 150gr and make some minor adjustments for the new weight. Well after about 21 shots or 7 groupings I just had to give up and didn't even get to open the broadheads. I was all around the bulls eye. I'd get two at the same spot and then catch a flier on my third. It was so frustrating. Move the scope up, catch a flier low.

Before the last time that I put it away everything was fine and I was hitting what I aimed at. I don't know what the issue is or whatnot. It was just a bad, hot, frustrating day of shooting that continues to not give me a consistent trust in my equipment. With hunting season quickly coming upon us, I need to begin to build consistent confidence in my equipment and it's not happening at this moment.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
vixenmaster

Re: Frustrating Day of Shooting

Post by vixenmaster »

Take a deep breath, its all goin to be ok. Did you spin yer arrows wid the pts on them to see if'en they a spin like a butterflys wings dance ? Smooth! They must spin smooth no wobble/aka runout! Take only one arrow shoot it several times to see if'en hits same hole/area. Mark the vane yer usin down in slot n use it only. Were goin to see if'en its the arrows-vanes or pts
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Its hard shooting in the heat its 98 here n humid as hell.i was gonna shoot tonite . Gonna pass
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yep, it's a process of elimination. You may have to sort out a few arrows that just don't perform up to snuff.
Don't get frustrated, take your time, and try to outsmart what you're dealing with, you'll get it! :wink:
Do like VM said, and it will get better!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

I do the same thing when i work up a load for a rifle :wink: take a deep breath, walk it off and start back a little at a time test'n yer stuff as Mr. Mike and Mr. Dan suggested. wont be long you'll be hoop'n -n- holler'n knocking out wooden nickles!

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

The first thing you need to do is grab hold of your scope with a solid grip, hold down your bow with a solid grip in your other hand and try moving your scope. Try rocking it. Is there movement? Even if there's no perceivable movement, use a good set of allen bits and tighten every fastener you can see. ESPECIALLY THE SCOPE MOUNT SCREWS. Before even reading your post I immediately thought fasteners. If you haven't already done it, I recommend removing each fastener one at a time and putting a small spot of medium strength blue loktight on the thread before re- attaching....and after cleaning the fastener of course. This needs to be your first course of action. Once it's been eliminated move on to checking arrows as Mike mentioned. You'll be fine, I went through the same thing and used to wish I could get two inch groups at twenty yards, now I can get sub two inch groups at 100yards. Don't be discouraged, this will be an easy fix.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks a lot fellas for the encouragement. I will try what each of you have suggested. I was only shooting field points tonight, I got too frustrated with the inaccuracy before I was able to even try the broadheads.

I ordered a ADF system, so when that comes in and I take my scope mount off of the scope rail, I will put it back together with some of the blue loktite. I guess I just buy that at Lowe's or something?
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

vixenmaster wrote:Take a deep breath, its all goin to be ok. Did you spin yer arrows wid the pts on them to see if'en they a spin like a butterflys wings dance ? Smooth! They must spin smooth no wobble/aka runout! Take only one arrow shoot it several times to see if'en hits same hole/area. Mark the vane yer usin down in slot n use it only. Were goin to see if'en its the arrows-vanes or pts
Vixenmaster, I guess I just put my field points on and use the edge of a table to spin the bolts to check for straightness?

Also, all of my vanes are the same color. How do I find out which one should be my cock vane?
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yup always start wid yer field pts on getting yer arrows n crossbow/scope combo sighted in. You have to eliminate possible snafu's prior to BH's specially those of the fixed nature. Lowe's Home Depot, maulmart all should have the blue Loctite. Make sure it states on the tube its NOT perminant
Half Bubble Off BD360

TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

vixenmaster wrote:Yup always start wid yer field pts on getting yer arrows n crossbow/scope combo sighted in. You have to eliminate possible snafu's prior to BH's specially those of the fixed nature. Lowe's Home Depot, maulmart all should have the blue Loctite. Make sure it states on the tube its NOT perminant
Ok, I'll make sure that the Loctite says that.

But I mean with spinning the arrows, I just do that on my table with the vanes hanging off of the edge since I don't have an arrow spinner?

Also, how would I figure out which vane is the cock vane to mark?
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

TheBig1 wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:Take a deep breath, its all goin to be ok. Did you spin yer arrows wid the pts on them to see if'en they a spin like a butterflys wings dance ? Smooth! They must spin smooth no wobble/aka runout! Take only one arrow shoot it several times to see if'en hits same hole/area. Mark the vane yer usin down in slot n use it only. Were goin to see if'en its the arrows-vanes or pts
Vixenmaster, I guess I just put my field points on and use the edge of a table to spin the bolts to check for straightness?

Also, all of my vanes are the same color. How do I find out which one should be my cock vane?
Take a marker pen put a dot on one vane only. Now thats yer new cock vane/down. I have always put pt in my palm n spun my arrows, jus sumpin i learned as a young boy. Take 4 marbles put them in pairs of two :) about 14" apart if'en they are 20" some less if'en usin shorter arrows. Glue these marbles in 2 pair setsas there will show you the pt wobble when you roll them in the marble V
Half Bubble Off BD360

TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

vixenmaster wrote:
TheBig1 wrote:

Take a marker pen put a dot on one vane only. Now thats yer new cock vane/down. I have always put pt in my palm n spun my arrows, jus sumpin i learned as a young boy. Take 4 marbles put them in pairs of two :) about 14" apart if'en they are 20" some less if'en usin shorter arrows. Glue these marbles in 2 pair setsas there will show you the pt wobble when you roll them in the marble V
Ok, I understand the marble concept but with picking the cock vane I can just go ahead and pick anyone I want and mark it? I understand that at least I'd be shooting the same cock vane every time but is that what I should do?
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

hold your arrow at the nock and the point on the table and give it a spin if it is not straight you will know it , she will give a slight wiggle. to mark your arrows put a dot with a magic marker 1 2 3 one dot on one two on an other and three on the other. now comes the fun part . one arrow at a time shoot 1 dot three times and see how it flies don't do any adjusting at this time just shoot it in all three markings. mark it # 1 arrow ,and so on and so on. PM me if you have any questions.
W.M.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Markin arrow/s is easy once you knowed what were talkin about. Jus take 1 arrow n only 1! Put one dot on any vane n jus one vane. Were goin to ck each arrow like this once we getstid hittin yer target. The dot makes no diff of which vane you put it on. Cause if'en it don't shoot right yer goin to the next vane n put 2 dots on it. Thats so you don't getstid confused
Half Bubble Off BD360

TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

vixenmaster wrote:Markin arrow/s is easy once you knowed what were talkin about. Jus take 1 arrow n only 1! Put one dot on any vane n jus one vane. Were goin to ck each arrow like this once we getstid hittin yer target. The dot makes no diff of which vane you put it on. Cause if'en it don't shoot right yer goin to the next vane n put 2 dots on it. Thats so you don't getstid confused

Thanks Brother, I think I do understand now. I'm sure once I try it I'll understand better between the difference of flying right or not. I have it now. I only wish that I didn't have 27 bolts to do. :lol:
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member