Accuracy issues?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dmini

Accuracy issues?

Post by dmini »

Hello all, need some advice or suggestions. I have a Matrix 330, Danny Miller bumpers installed, flemish string 1/4" off bumpers, TT trigger with Hawk 1.5 -5 IR scope. Shooting GT Swift Pro 18" with 110gr inserts and 100 gr tips. Arrows have been squared on both ends. Why do I get one arrow that will shoot in same hole 20yrds and I shoot another and it may be 2" off. Also I am on my second Hawk scope, I sight it dead on at 20yrds, adjust speed ring until it is dead on at 30, 40 is good, but it is 2" high at 50 and about 4" high at 60. It is doing the same thing that the first Hawke scope was doing. Am I doing something wrong or what? And yes all scope mount screws are tight and everything else is tight. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
BrotherRon

Re: Accuracy issues?

Post by BrotherRon »

First of all, welcome aboard :D
some of the pro's will be here shortly to help you out :mrgreen:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Normous

Post by Normous »

Welcome, Gold Tip carbons always gave me fits with one or two out of 6 hitting differently and those ended in the cull pile , I owned dozens of GT's over the years and each dozen had the same issues. I believe spine issues plagued mine.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Some arrows fly different than others. Try one arrow only to set your scope speed ring, windage, and elevation. If it has all the same color vanes, put one dot on one, two on another, and leave on naked! :shock:
OK, set her dead on using a rest at 20 yards, then get a tall target, stack two, whatever you need to do to make it 46" tall. Put a dot near the top, set it out at your farthest distance, let's say 60 yards. Use your 20 yard reticle on the top dot, your arrow will hit 38" low most likely. Use a rest for this!! Now put the 20 on that dot, and adjust your zoom until the 60 is on the arrow, and the 20 is on that dot!! Shoot another arrow in the middle bullseye at 60 using the 60 chevron, it should be dead on. Now use your 50 at 50, 40 at 40, 30 at 30, and they should all line up! :wink:

Now, deal with the arrows, your have the golden standard, index another to match it, if it won't, set it aside, grab another. It is a process for you to get to your best ones, put them in your quiver for hunting, and see what you need to do to get the others up to snuff!

Have fun at it, and good luck. :wink:

Welcome to the forum.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Great advice already, as usual. I will add, shoot all your arrows and sort out the ones hitting the same hole. You may have three different groups of arrows. Now, one arrow at a time, turn it to use another vane as the cock vane. I use an actual cock vane so I just turn clockwise. If you use all same color fletching put one dot on one vane and turn clockwise from there. If using different vanes matches your arrows to group together that's great. You may end up with six perfect arrows in one group, four in another and two flyers that are great to throw blunts on for rabbits and chickens...or squirrels. This is what I've done. I do suggest going to black eagle zombies when you need new arrows. I still follow the same process but it's usually quite quick and painless.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

paulaboutform wrote:Great advice already, as usual. I will add, shoot all your arrows and sort out the ones hitting the same hole. You may have three different groups of arrows. Now, one arrow at a time, turn it to use another vane as the cock vane. I use an actual cock vane so I just turn clockwise. If you use all same color fletching put one dot on one vane and turn clockwise from there. If using different vanes matches your arrows to group together that's great. You may end up with six perfect arrows in one group, four in another and two flyers that are great to throw blunts on for rabbits and chickens...or squirrels. This is what I've done. I do suggest going to black eagle zombies when you need new arrows. I still follow the same process but it's usually quite quick and painless.

Paul
This is spot on advice ! Black Eagle Arrows that are spine indexed are unbeatable for consistent accuracy !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
dmini

Post by dmini »

Thanks everybody for the tips. I do the number thing on the vanes, quess I need to go back and start over. It just seems like there is no consistancy in my groups, maybe it is me, I will keep at it, maybe I am expecting to much. Thanks again.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Your bow is capable of shooting VERY impressive groups ! Don't give up ! You should be able to get 1 to 2 inch groups at 50yds or less with the right setup . Black Eagle spine indexed shafts are hard to beat and most of the serious Excalibur shooters use them exclusively !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
dmini

Post by dmini »

Hey 8ptbuck, I won't give up, it just gets frustrating. I am starting to wonder about the Gold Tips, I contacted BigJohn about some arrows, but he is booked until Nov and season starts here in WV in a few weeks. Thanks
Possum

Post by Possum »

I have two dozen gold tip lazer II pro series. As I was building them I noticed the weight was different by as much as an 8 gr variance between some of the shafts. All the nock and inserts were pretty uniform in weight. Another thing that I found was when I was spine indexing I found that the was quite an unacceptable variance in the spine in the two dozen. As far as straightness, they are pretty much as claimed except for one shaft. I ended up group matching these arrows into 3 different groups according to weight and spine. I have one group of 8, one group of 5 and one group of 10.
After the gold tips are gone I'll be ordering some zombie as I should have done in the first place. My dad alway used to tell me I had to learn things the hard way. 8)
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Php 4:13
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Nutten wrong wid yer scope, jus a variance in yardage. Be abit high at a certain yardage, my scope does it. Couple inches isn't much in the real world of target shootin or a deer. GT arrows are not the top quality stuff anymore, i won't even buy them. I have couple dz GT II's that deliver 2-3" groups at 60 yards. Certainly good enuff fer deer huntin up close 40 yds or so
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

dmini wrote:Thanks everybody for the tips. I do the number thing on the vanes, quess I need to go back and start over. It just seems like there is no consistancy in my groups, maybe it is me, I will keep at it, maybe I am expecting to much. Thanks again.
It isn't you if you're shooting off a rock solid bench rest to eliminate the human factors.....you are shooting off a bench aren't you? Sorry for asking but that's kind of a big deal for setup.

Paul
dmini

Post by dmini »

Yes sir, shooting off of solid bench. I'm starting to really think that it may be the Gold Tips. I will continue to work with them at least until I can get some custom made arrows. Any suggestions on a custom arrow builder who isn't booked up with orders
I know hunting season is just around the corner so I might have to make do with the GT's until next year. Thanks
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

dmini wrote:Hey 8ptbuck, I won't give up, it just gets frustrating. I am starting to wonder about the Gold Tips, I contacted BigJohn about some arrows, but he is booked until Nov and season starts here in WV in a few weeks. Thanks
You may have a hard time finding some Black Eagles in such short notice , Might be some on the trading Post ??? You can get them from Southshore Archery but don't know about the turnaround time .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Try Danny Miller. You can get some pre fletched executioners with your choice of inserts. I prefer the bolt fletched zombies but you won't go wrong with the executioners either. I suspect they'll be superior to what you have now....and a half dozen won't break the bank and should get you by.

Paul