this sucks!!!!!!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowrook

this sucks!!!!!!!!

Post by xbowrook »

I went to the bush yesterday for opening of early goose season .. we hunt 2 bushes beside each other, we are the only people allowed on there and have been for 12 years now.. well, I called the owners this morning because I think I may have dropped my soft gun case out of my van and wanted to know if they saw it.. she said " no, didn't see it, we would have surely picked it up if we did.. oh, and I don't think I want you guys back there anymore"... ummmm, what?? we never had any issue with them , ever... always stopped and talked, always respected their land and their wishes when it came to hanging treestands, etc... " it is bothering our dog, she is scared when you guys are back there. yesterday she was terrified and was scratching at the door to get let in".. I find it weird, this dog loved me.. always saw me walking to my van and would run out to see me, lay down so I could rub her belly, etc.. even yesterday, she hobbled ( dog is getting old now) out to see me and I pet her for a few minutes ... just feel odd about this, usually they talk to us but yesterday they just ignored us.. asked if it would be okay if I parked at the neighbors ( also where we hunt) and walked to the bush that way or do they not want us hunting it at all.. she said " yeah, we just don't want you back there at all".. I apologized and stated we would remove our stands, but still something bugs me about this.. something seems off... I don't know, maybe I am reading too much into this, who knows... we still have 2 bushes left but man, I hope it's nothing and that we don't lose those now... back to canvasing the area for bushes to hunt.. this sucks man...
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
Normous

Re: this sucks!!!!!!!!

Post by Normous »

It sucks for sure, I put myself in your shoes because it has happened to me more than once. It is harder and more difficult in Southern Ont. to get and maintain hunting properties. Good luck.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

I don't know what it's like up there to find land, but it'd be crushing for anyone to experience that. But as ethical hunters we have to respect the land owners decision. Isn't it funny how the unethical hunters who don't ask permission or ignore Posted signs never get caught? LOL I know if I did that I'd be caught the first day.

I wish you luck in replacing one of your honey holes. Perhaps you could try to speak to them to find out what exactly happened and ask if you could lease the land to hunt.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

My guess is that it not anything personal against you but they may be concerned about their dog and its uneasiness about gunfire. Both of our pups (7-10 years old) for some reason as they get older are becoming considerably more concerned about loud booming noises esp thunder. Both our pups are hunters and have been subjected to many many rounds of shotgun fire and love it. But---any loud booming noise that they cannot relate to causes them great concern.
Your situation may have come about because of their concern for the well being of their pooch.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

xbowrook wrote:I went to the bush yesterday for opening of early goose season .. we hunt 2 bushes beside each other, we are the only people allowed on there and have been for 12 years now.. well, I called the owners this morning because I think I may have dropped my soft gun case out of my van and wanted to know if they saw it.. she said " no, didn't see it, we would have surely picked it up if we did.. oh, and I don't think I want you guys back there anymore"... ummmm, what?? we never had any issue with them , ever... always stopped and talked, always respected their land and their wishes when it came to hanging treestands, etc... " it is bothering our dog, she is scared when you guys are back there. yesterday she was terrified and was scratching at the door to get let in".. I find it weird, this dog loved me.. always saw me walking to my van and would run out to see me, lay down so I could rub her belly, etc.. even yesterday, she hobbled ( dog is getting old now) out to see me and I pet her for a few minutes ... just feel odd about this, usually they talk to us but yesterday they just ignored us.. asked if it would be okay if I parked at the neighbors ( also where we hunt) and walked to the bush that way or do they not want us hunting it at all.. she said " yeah, we just don't want you back there at all".. I apologized and stated we would remove our stands, but still something bugs me about this.. something seems off... I don't know, maybe I am reading too much into this, who knows... we still have 2 bushes left but man, I hope it's nothing and that we don't lose those now... back to canvasing the area for bushes to hunt.. this sucks man...
Sure am sorry to hear the news from ya. As things sometimes sure do change an not always for the better for us Hunters period....
bubba

Post by bubba »

Man i feel for ya... It's a heart breaker. Like said i know where you are coming from. Up in Ky, this happened from time to time. And there reason's varied. All you can do is try and roll with the punches, and move on. This is one of the many reason's i feel so fortunate to have 800 private acres to hunt on. Unlike those years spent opening day in the woods, with some yankee swinging in every other tree, pissing up and down the trails.
Hope you find another good spot. Good luck to ya....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

bubba wrote:Man i feel for ya... It's a heart breaker. Like said i know where you are coming from. Up in Ky, this happened from time to time. And there reason's varied. All you can do is try and roll with the punches, and move on. This is one of the many reason's i feel so fortunate to have 800 private acres to hunt on. Unlike those years spent opening day in the woods, with some yankee swinging in every other tree, pissing up and down the trails.

Yankee!????
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

woodmnctry wrote:
bubba wrote:

Yankee!????
LOL

It could be that they were offered $$ from someone to lease their land too.. Stinks for sure either way..
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Sure does stink. Sorry to hear of your loss. It is very hard to get permission to hunt around here. Feel your pain!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bubba

Post by bubba »

woodmnctry wrote:
bubba wrote:Man i feel for ya... It's a heart breaker. Like said i know where you are coming from. Up in Ky, this happened from time to time. And there reason's varied. All you can do is try and roll with the punches, and move on. This is one of the many reason's i feel so fortunate to have 800 private acres to hunt on. Unlike those years spent opening day in the woods, with some yankee swinging in every other tree, pissing up and down the trails.

Yankee!????
Yes, Yankee you know as in north, south, the American civil war? Took place in the 1860's ? In the north they called southern folk Rebels, And in the south they called northern folk Yankee's. And i'm sure there were other names spoken from both side's a lot worse. The names kinda stuck, now it's mostly associated in a non aggressive sort of humorous way.. Smile..Personally i kid around all the time with some of my close northern friends with no harm intended. If your offended i apologize... Just over look Yankee.. And replace it with some dumb ass swinging from every other tree.........>---->
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

thanks guys, you said it best, it's heartbreaking... felt we had such a great relationship with them and all of a sudden, this..... it very well could be for the well being of the dog, but I find it hard to believe as we have shot the guns before without concern... I am going out my next day off to make sure we have our stands and blinds out of there and plan on stopping by to let them know our stuff is out and just kindly ask what the whole story is.. just doesn't seem to add up...
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
Normous

Post by Normous »

I hope that there may be still a chance to hunt deer on the property using your quiet Excalibur.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

Normous wrote:I hope that there may be still a chance to hunt deer on the property using your quiet Excalibur.

and that's the reason I would like to talk to them in person.. to me, I understand if you're worried about your dog, but I wouldn't kick someone off the property all at once, I would simply say " no more shooting guns"... that is what I find odd.. I have been hunting for 11 years there and haven't seen the dog in or around the bush in the past 5 years or so.. I mean, we still hunt the very next property to them, are they going to talk to their neighbor and tell them we can't hunt there too because I guarantee you the dog will still hear the gunshots.. I don't get it..
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

That really does suck. Sorry. I think the best approach is to respectfully talk to them. Personally, if I was in your shoes I would go talk to them and just start by saying something like, 'I just wanted to thank you for allowing me to hunt on your property for the last 11 years. I fully respect your decision to do what you wish on your own property. Would you be okay with me hunting on your property if I used archery equipment? If I use my crossbow there won't be any noise to startle your family dog.'
I think it's worth a try. Good luck.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
grouse

Post by grouse »

What happened to you must really suck, especially with fall hunting seasons just beginning. I put those kinds of problems behind me long ago. I grew tired of losing permission to hunt on private land, and I really hated being crowded by other hunters on public land, so I convinced my wife that buying a farm would be a good investment. We bought a 72 acre farm with 26 tillable acres in 1985 and built a small house on it (we don't live there, just go there for recreation). It has actually been a good financial investment. The crop proceeds pay for most, or all, of the expenses and I no longer have the uncertainty I had before when I hunt. We sold that farm to a quarry in 2010 and immediately bought an 87 acre farm nearby and built a more modern house on it. I have never had a year that I hunted on either farm that I didn't get at least one deer and I have killed countless turkeys. I have only crossbow hunted for 3 years and have killed at least one deer every year with my Axiom. We sacrificed for a few years to buy our first farm but it was so worth it.
axiom
350 SE