Better Day of Shooting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheBig1

Better Day of Shooting

Post by TheBig1 »

So I set up to shoot this afternoon after work. I picked only ONE arrow to sight in with. I began and seemed to be doing well. After a few shots and some adjustments nothing seemed to work, I kept hitting the same spot. I sat back and began to think while taking a break. I thought, "Is there something wrong with the scope? Is it not adjusting until after I shoot and then the recoil makes the reticle move to where I had just adjusted it?"

So then I remembered, check to make sure the scope is mounted tight. I had actually done this about a week and a half ago, but I figured it might as well try it again. I started pulling, twisting, and ripping it pretty hard. Nothing at first but then for a second I felt something move. I tried again but it took about 30 seconds to get it to move again. I SEE IT!!!!! All four screws on my scope rail were loose. I quickly tightened them, began sighting it in with the arrow I had chosen to do so, and was very quickly hitting dead center at 20 yards. I was a very happy man. So I began testing another arrow by rotating every vane to test for the best cock vane. (Yes, once I put on the ADF I will be buying some of the blue Loctite when reinserting the screws, lesson learned)

I then got the deer target out to see how it would hold up to the power of the crossbow. I shot my first shot with great results of course. So I grabbed my second arrow and aimed for the aluminum nock on the end of it. I know they say don't, but I seriously wanted to make sure that it was as dead on as I had hoped it was. Besides, I have 27 of the same arrows, I could stand to lose one if I had to. Sure enough, I got my first Robin Hood ever. I quit on that note.

http://s844.photobucket.com/user/cstric ... p.jpg.html]Image

http://s844.photobucket.com/user/cstric ... l.jpg.html]Image
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
8ptbuk

Re: Better Day of Shooting

Post by 8ptbuk »

Great ! Glad you figured it out .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

8ptbuk wrote:Great ! Glad you figured it out .
Mike, that new string of yours works amazingly and looks bada$$! It stretched right down to the brace height line like you said it would. It's sitting just shy of the line now. I repositioned my REDS to the new string now that it's stretched down.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Oooohhhh! That's a nice one! :wink: I'm glad it worked out. I went through the same thing when I first joined, and was adamant all my fasteners were tight. :oops: :oops: :lol: I tell you what, that's one time I was sure happy to be wrong. :lol: How's your confidence in your equipment now btw? :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bubba

Post by bubba »

The Big Red One!! That's great new's bud..Loctite a crossbows best friend. Glad your back in the saddle Smile...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

paulaboutform wrote:Oooohhhh! That's a nice one! :wink: I'm glad it worked out. I went through the same thing when I first joined, and was adamant all my fasteners were tight. :oops: :oops: :lol: I tell you what, that's one time I was sure happy to be wrong. :lol: How's your confidence in your equipment now btw? :mrgreen:

Paul
I gotta tell you Paul, my confidence is definitely building. Now to put the ADF on, resight it if I have to do so. And then begin shooting at 30, 40, and 50 yards for confidence. Then I have to try the broadheads to make sure I like them and that they're shooting right also.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Get some blue loctite on those screws or it will repeat.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Riflemanz wrote:Get some blue loctite on those screws or it will repeat.
I will be picking some up tomorrow Brother! I won't put it on until I swap out my regular scope rail with the ADF that I'm getting.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

It looks like the nock was pounded more on the right side than the left, a lil tweekin and it will meet excel accuracy standards :wink:

glad to see you got it working for ya
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

one shot scott wrote:It looks like the nock was pounded more on the right side than the left, a lil tweekin and it will meet excel accuracy standards :wink:

LOL I was waiting for someone to say that it wasn't a true Robin Hood because the other arrow wasn't sticking out of the back. You know, kind of like a fish isn't truly caught until it's in the boat type of deal. :lol:
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
deertrx

Post by deertrx »

Boom baby good job man! :D
Enjoy!
deertrx :mrgreen:
Matrix 380 Xtra " Sweets "
Leupold Crossbones
TT Matrix Hunter 2.5
Boo Strings Danny Millers Bumpers
18" BE Zombies, Slick Trick 150 xbow BH's
" She's a beaut Clark! "
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

deertrx wrote:Boom baby good job man! :D
Enjoy!
deertrx :mrgreen:
Brian, you're the man Brother. After shooting it in I got out one of the Luminoks and shot it, the first time I had ever done so. It was cool!!!! It was a pain to turn off though, I wasn't excited about that but it was cool to shoot it. Now I have to go through each arrow and shoot all three vanes to find the one that strikes exactly where I want it to and mark the cock vanes.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

TheBig1 wrote:
one shot scott wrote:It looks like the nock was pounded more on the right side than the left, a lil tweekin and it will meet excel accuracy standards :wink:

LOL I was waiting for someone to say that it wasn't a true Robin Hood because the other arrow wasn't sticking out of the back. You know, kind of like a fish isn't truly caught until it's in the boat type of deal. :lol:
Did the second arrow bounce back toward you? I robin hooded one a while back, and as I was trying to follow through in the scope I see the arrow bounce off target , I thought, and back my way. :lol: Glad you got it sorted out :D Life is good when at least some of it works!
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
TheBig1 wrote:

Did the second arrow bounce back toward you? I robin hooded one a while back, and as I was trying to follow through in the scope I see the arrow bounce off target , I thought, and back my way. :lol: Glad you got it sorted out :D Life is good when at least some of it works!
Yes, I heard it "dink" and then I saw it bounce back and to the side. It was cool! I never had one before, although I never wanted one before but since I got a great deal on 2 dozen arrows I figured, what the heck, lets see just how accurate this is.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Nice, very nice!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!