Nikon Bolt XR Crossbow Scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PittsburghJim

Nikon Bolt XR Crossbow Scope

Post by PittsburghJim »

I recently was told that the Nikon Bolt XR Crossbow Scope might be too slow for a matrix 355. Will someone offer some personal experience to whether or not that this statement is true?

Thanks

Jim
--
"You must convince me with the Scriptures and sound logic." Luther
Cossack

Re: Nikon Bolt XR Crossbow Scope

Post by Cossack »

It's a 3X scope and advertised as (up to) 350 fps. That makes it marginal for your application if using a relatively light arrow. The aiming points are relatively small making them difficult to see in low light., esp since the reticule is not lighted. Take a gander at the Hawke 1.5-5 X32 IR SR (in either 1" or 30mm tube). Higher power, can be adjusted to accommodate +350 fps, and choice of unlighted, red and green lighted reticule. I have it on two bows and LOVE it's performance. There are more expensive options, but few that are more serviceable.
Last edited by Cossack on Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
PittsburghJim

Post by PittsburghJim »

I have one on my micro. I'll try switching them if necessary.
--
"You must convince me with the Scriptures and sound logic." Luther
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

The Bolt is a great scope ! Small learning curve with the aiming points (non adjustable) but GREAT glass in it . Nikon has a ballistic calculator on their website that is very easy to use and spot on !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Cibby

Post by Cibby »

I have both scopes. I had the Nikon on my new Grizzly but replaced it with the Hawke for the lighted reticule . I just shot the Griz with the Hawke on it Friday night in a treestand I have behind the house in low light. The lighted reticule was a real plus I was able to put 3 Diablo's dead center from 25 yards in the very last minutes of shooting light. The Bolt will go on a new Micro I'm planning to buy.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I swapped mine to my 330, and put my Redfield Revenge on the 355, but it is great glass, and as stated, once you get it figured out with the speed of your bow, it's awesome.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Drew

Post by Drew »

Not sure how anyone could call the Bolt "marginal". Excellent optics and compact too. Took a doe last year at literally the last min of legal shooting without a problem. If you know how to manage your sighting in it's an easy scope to work with. I have the upper thick to thin reticle transition set for 20yds, crosshairs come in at 30yds and the first dot below is 40yds. I am shooting 406gr at 334fps.
I know a lot of people have an issue that it doesnt have a speed ring but does it matter if your scope is set for 30yds or 32once once its dialed in? Deer around here aren't trained to stand at 20,30,40 yds dead on anyway :D
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I use the Nikon Bolt on my Equinox and find that the scope is light, short, accurate, rugged and has a 3" to 4" eye relief. I have the cross hairs set for a POI at 25 yards and use them for all shots out to 30 yards. I use the 1st circle for shots over 30 yards and do not shoot over 40 yards. The scope is great in low light conditions.

Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
bubba

Post by bubba »

Drew wrote:Not sure how anyone could call the Bolt "marginal". Excellent optics and compact too. Took a doe last year at literally the last min of legal shooting without a problem. If you know how to manage your sighting in it's an easy scope to work with. I have the upper thick to thin reticle transition set for 20yds, crosshairs come in at 30yds and the first dot below is 40yds. I am shooting 406gr at 334fps.
I know a lot of people have an issue that it doesnt have a speed ring but does it matter if your scope is set for 30yds or 32once once its dialed in? Deer around here aren't trained to stand at 20,30,40 yds dead on anyway :D
X-2 Can't agree more. The Nikon Bolt to me is not a ( Marginal) scope. It has very good glass for a 160.00, Yes it is a fixed 3-X. But like said there website and the ballistic automated chart. Is Spot on. You can adjust your 0 and play around and get the numbers and yardage to fall into a close order. Regardless of the speed of your bow. I own one that has earned a permanent home on top of my Ibex. The only down side for me is the non illuminated reticle... for those short low light situation's ..Try one you'll like it..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

I have the Nikon Bolt on my 355 and could not be happier. The optics are great and I like the simplicity of reticle. I shoot 18 inch FMJ bolts with an 85 grain broadhead for a total weight of 408 grains. I zero at 20 yards. I am dead nuts at 20 yards, dead nuts at 30 yards and hit 1 inch high at 40 yards.

In CT bowhunting ends 1/2 hour before sunset so I never have to worry about needing a lighted reticle.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical