A Moosee Hunting we will go- hunt update & photos

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CrazyAce

Re: A Moosee Hunting we will go

Post by CrazyAce »

Definitely a bucket list item for someone way down south.. Elk is, also, on that list. Hope to find a good way to make that a regular thing though.

Enjoy the hunt, nature, and all of God's grace on your hunt. Stay safe!
-SnotRocket-
Matrix 405
DLX scope
TriggerTech 2.5#
DrStirrup rig
8ptbuk, vixenmaster, Boo Flemish String
Zombie Slayer, Executioner
Wabi Call
galamb

Post by galamb »

Here's a pic from a few years back of my buddy who took this young bull (wrapped 590 pounds when the butcher was done with him).

You can see the blood stains right on the train rail (about in line with Bullwinkles neck).

That was the "ideal shot", cleaned him right there and loaded the quarters into the boxcar for the ride back. Normally we would cut in eight pieces, de-bone as much as we can and basically leave anything behind to lighten the load - even skin everything save the last part of the quarter needed for identification by the MNRF boys if you get stopped.

We aren't often this lucky when it's time to recover him :lol:

Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Good luck with the hunt and, we need pics!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Hope ya have a good safe time and Bag a big one !!!! :D
Fletch2

Post by Fletch2 »

Good luck stay safe.
2012 vortex
vixenmaster string
XCaddis

Post by XCaddis »

I am heading out Thursday as well. Hunting in Unit 24...bull tag for our group of 4.

Good times every year
XCaddis

Excalibur Exomax
STS
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder

Guns are part of our Cultural Heritage. Please respect our diversity!!
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

WISHING THE VERY BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF YOU! can't wait for the stories.. :D

I have never had the oportunity to hunt Moose in WA state, as its a once in your lifetime tag if ever drawn regardless if your successful or not... :roll: Only one Moose tag in a lifetime the same goes for Bighorn Sheep.

I was on one pack in archery hunt with horses and pack mules where a mountain goat was taken with a longbow but that was years ago, and I think that may also be a once in a lifetime tag now ?.

Under those conditions :roll: I would probably place all bets on a rifle.

So, are we going to read about crossbow hunts or do most of you use rifles? I'm just curious as I know how far an animal can go before loosing enough blood to finally lay down after taking an arrow, vrs. a 180 Nosler Partition from my 300 Rem. Ultra Mag :D or a 250 Nosler Partition from my origional M-600 Rem. in 350 Rem Mag. 8) Both are devastating within their range limits. :wink:

I'm definately waiting for pictures and stories as my season is about over after the Elk last Saturday, with only the possibility of a nice Mulie or Blacktail buck likely remaining ( as I personally, usually pass on the does since we can only take 1 deer per year )..

There are bear and cougar tags in the wallet but they are not often seen and used during the general archery and rifle seasons :| but are there "Just in Case". 8) :lol:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Best of luck to you all. Hunt hard, be safe.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: A Moosee Hunting we will go - Update on Hunt

Post by Hunt it »

After 15 days in the bush the boys are back in town. We had a fantastic hunt, filled all 3 bull tags and a wolf tag to boot. Out party was 7 guys this year and we had a buddy from Australia and another from NJ join us. Opening day on the first hunt I called in a fantastic 52" bull and my buddy from NJ arrowed it at 12 yards with his Stotler 65# long bow. Not bad for guys first ever moose hunt - under 2 hours and done! On day 5, I called in a younger 2 yr old bull - 30" and my buddy from Australia took it with his compound at 17 yards. On day 8 one of our group took a beautiful big male wolf at 30 yards with his Excalibur. After a few hot days with slow action we bagged the last bull - 48" on day 13 with a 20 yard shot from Excalibur.

Another great adventure in Ontario's north country. All the Bulls dropped inside of 60 yards. Bull 1 - 60 yards, bull 2 - 20 yards and bull 3 - 30 yards. Longbow bull was taken with Abowyer broad head on Grizzly Stick Alaskan shaft. Compound bull taken with Widowmaker shaft and 125 gr Widowmaker broadheads, Excalibur bull taken with Diablo shafts and bolt cutters. Wolf with diablos and bolt cutters as well.
Pictures to follow in next day or two.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the hunt!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

Are Logie, Dan and Wing going?
I still regret not joining up with you guys. You have a great group of hard hunters! Couldn't ask for better!
I'm guessing Dan is hunting with his 80 lb recurve? :shock:
Good luck!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
munch

Post by munch »

nice hunting .we found the first 8 days brutal very little moving but the night of the blood moon changed things up. i shot a spike bull monday i called into a 32 yard shot then called a nice bull in again thursday morning to 30 yards and teased him trying to get him in closer ,he offered great shot opportunitys but we only had a bull and cow tag .best bull was wed afternoon 130 standing perfect 17 yards quartering away from my brothers stand. we have pics but we where in having lunch. could here moose working into our beaver ponds several times just would not step out. also on the second bull he hung around a few min and did not leave until i started breaking small sticks. i alwats set a few small pieces near me that a can break and after watching this bull think that should only be done when you know your dealing with the dominant bull in the area .it sucks you have only a few days each year to work on your shkills but i think we are getting a little better this was best encounters to date
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Hunt it

Post by Hunt it »

Don,
Logie was along on hunt. Wing goes every other year so it was his year off, buddy from Oz took his spot. Dan was unable to go this year so other buddy from NJ took his spot. Keith Worden who has been in our group for years says you used to fix his cars years back, small world.

Terry, sounds like you had same two weeks we had. It was cooler first few days then got warm and then cool again. The Bulls from day 1&5 where the only action we had early on. Bull 1 responded on first call and we played with him for 2 hours. Bull 2 came in fast and gave me a nice shot at 45 yards but as he was heading in direction of my buddy from Oz I chose to let him take it. I had good view of both Bulls getting arrowed so the front row seat is just as good if not better than me shooting them. I love to call. The last bull came in fast on a cool evening at end of hunt. Other than this we had several other encounters but not solid fast and furious like last year. No complaints though, tags filled and freezers full!
munch

Post by munch »

Hunt it wrote:Don,
Logie was along on hunt. Wing goes every other year so it was his year off, buddy from Oz took his spot. Dan was unable to go this year so other buddy from NJ took his spot. Keith Worden who has been in our group for years says you used to fix his cars years back, small world.

Terry, sounds like you had same two weeks we had. It was cooler first few days then got warm and then cool again. The Bulls from day 1&5 where the only action we had early on. Bull 1 responded on first call and we played with him for 2 hours. Bull 2 came in fast and gave me a nice shot at 45 yards but as he was heading in direction of my buddy from Oz I chose to let him take it. I had good view of both Bulls getting arrowed so the front row seat is just as good if not better than me shooting them. I love to call. The last bull came in fast on a cool evening at end of hunt. Other than this we had several other encounters but not solid fast and furious like last year. No complaints though, tags filled and freezers full!
that would be great seeing those fellows get there first. i was hoping my 17 year old would but at least he was close a couple times. was 3 of us hunting one of our guys had surgery setp first so had to opt out. he was tickled pink when he got a share of meat as well we also left maybe 30lbs with our hosts at the camp we stay in ,they enjoy moose and you could not find any nicer people in the world they are always a big help in anyway. dont know about you but sept cant get here fast enough for my brother and i ijust hope we are lucky and draw a tag
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Hunt it

Post by Hunt it »

Tag situation will get worse again next year according to what I've been told. Also, opening day will be one week later for gun season and perhaps archery as well. No one seems to know 100% about archery opening being changed. Pending weather this could be bad news for archery hunters. The big Bulls breed first, contrary to what many think. The later we start the less chance on big guys.

The year rolls by fast, I'm hoping to have my son join us on his first moose hunt. He is in his last year at Western so Sept hunts have been a no go for him until done school. I sure would love to call in his first moose for him. I've got just the spot. We have one tree that has know seen 11 moose arrowed from it - it has been named the The Killer Stand for good reason. My buddy from Jersey commented on the bone piles in the moss near where his moose dropped. That narly old hemlock is my favourite tree in Ontario!