Scope Rings, Is There a Difference?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheBig1

Scope Rings, Is There a Difference?

Post by TheBig1 »

Ok, so we pretty much talk about every upgrade that we can make for our gear. So the question is, if I upgraded my scope to a new scope and the ring size is the same, should I just use my stock rings?

Is there a real difference in rings and/or quality enough to be concerned about?
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
xcaliber

Re: Scope Rings, Is There a Difference?

Post by xcaliber »

I would get a set of Leupold Riflemans, you can get them for $20, or less. My next favorite is Red Hots. Pics of Red Hots with the Nikon XR, $19.99 at Cabelas, both in 1" or 30mm.
[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... d.jpg.html]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

So then if I upgrade my scope I should upgrade the rings instead of using the stock Excal rings?
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Here is a picture of both Matrix bows with the longer scope on the 355 sporting the Rifleman Rings. For the low price, I would not settle on the rings!

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... g.jpg.html]Image
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks X, I'll definitely do that if and when I upgrade.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
NFH

Post by NFH »

+1 for the Leupold Rifleman rings. Well worth the money if your already upgrading your scope.
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
vpsaline

Post by vpsaline »

its the best 15-20$ upgrade to your xbow. The Millet rings are also nice for the money, on par with the Rifleman rings.
Micro_335 - Nikon Bolt XR - 15.5'' Zombies - Killzone 100GR
Matrix G340 - Nikon Bolt XR - Muzzy 100GR
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I used the Weaver tactical medium rings to mount my Nikon.

Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....Dr. Danny recommended the "traditions" 1" rings when I upgraded to the Leupold Crossbones...I trusted his advice and bought them....so far, a year and a half later, I am well pleased with his advice...I have had no issues with scope loosening and or moving off center...and the good Lord knows I had had my bow fall over on the scope a couple of times before putting the Munch Mount on!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

xcaliber wrote:Here is a picture of both Matrix bows with the longer scope on the 355 sporting the Rifleman Rings. For the low price, I would not settle on the rings!

.....ah, yet another "southpaw" such as myself!

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
JB'STAXIDERMY

Post by JB'STAXIDERMY »

I understand what everyone is saying about upgrading the rings. .... but why would u want to upgrade them? Are the excal rings made of a softer material vs aftermarket or is it a durability issue? Just curious,because i havent paid that much attention to my rings , i upgraded my scope on my equinox to a twilight and the rings came with it .... so now im questioning if i should upgrade them or not ....
Equinox
Hawke xb30 pro
Boo Trigger job
Firebolts
Slick Tricks
Vixenmaster string
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

JB'STAXIDERMY wrote:I understand what everyone is saying about upgrading the rings. .... but why would u want to upgrade them? Are the excal rings made of a softer material vs aftermarket or is it a durability issue? Just curious,because i havent paid that much attention to my rings , i upgraded my scope on my equinox to a twilight and the rings came with it .... so now im questioning if i should upgrade them or not ....
Good question, that's kind of what I was also looking for in an answer. But I do understand that for the small price of $20 you might as go with a better set of rings even if it is only a perceived perception.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
bubba

Post by bubba »

There is nothing wrong with the Excalibur stock rings. But i prefer a 4 bolt per ring mount or 6 bolt per ring mount. They not only look nicer but they are more secure and rugged. Leupolds are nice so are the millet's. I like a alu,ring. One that has protective inside coating to protect against taking the finish off your scope, and make's lapping or leveling unnecessary, sort of molds around the tube. And i find Accushot or UGT mounts hard to beat for under 20.00 on Amazon. In addition the accushot come with a 7/16" bolt and nut system to secure the ring's onto your rail. Which for me is 100% better than a allen head. You can put a lot more elbow in tightening for a super secure fit. Just me...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

amythntr wrote:....Dr. Danny recommended the "traditions" 1" rings when I upgraded to the Leupold Crossbones...I trusted his advice and bought them....so far, a year and a half later, I am well pleased with his advice...I have had no issues with scope loosening and or moving off center...and the good Lord knows I had had my bow fall over on the scope a couple of times before putting the Munch Mount on!

I like the traditions also .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

amythntr wrote:
xcaliber wrote:Here is a picture of both Matrix bows with the longer scope on the 355 sporting the Rifleman Rings. For the low price, I would not settle on the rings!

.....ah, yet another "southpaw" such as myself!

Is there any other way to shoot? :lol: :lol: