Leave plenty of cape for the Taxidermist!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deerskinner

Leave plenty of cape for the Taxidermist!

Post by deerskinner »

I just wanted to put this out there for yall if you get a buck or any other animal that you might want to mount! I have been a Taxidermist for a number of years and I can,t tell you how many people cut their trophys short or split them up the brisket to far ! Also keep your trophy cold and dry,don,t let it set in any water it can cause hair slippage! Ron! :D
Last edited by deerskinner on Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amythntr

Re: Leave plenty of skin for the Taxidermist!

Post by amythntr »

deerskinner wrote:I just wanted to put this out there for yall if you get a buck or any other animal that you might want to mount! I have been a Taxidermist for a number of years and I can,t tell you how many people cut their trophys short or split them up the brisket to far ! Also keep your trophy cold and dry,don,t let it set in any water it can cause hair slippage! Ron! :D

....leave plenty of skin for the Taxidermist....Now this isn't what you meant Ron now is it :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

Image[/URL]

???? :mrgreen:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Can I get a buck mount made for a set of horns I mounted on a board if say I shoot a doe?
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
deerskinner

Post by deerskinner »

Riflemanz wrote:Can I get a buck mount made for a set of horns I mounted on a board if say I shoot a doe?
Yes you can but it depends on how big you buck was as far as antlers,I always steer people away from using a doe I don,t think they have a large enough neck to make a nice looking mount! If you kill a buck that you don,t want to mount this season then you could use it ! Thanks Ron!
deerskinner

Post by deerskinner »

amythntr wrote:
deerskinner wrote:I just wanted to put this out there for yall if you get a buck or any other animal that you might want to mount! I have been a Taxidermist for a number of years and I can,t tell you how many people cut their trophys short or split them up the brisket to far ! Also keep your trophy cold and dry,don,t let it set in any water it can cause hair slippage! Ron! :D

....leave plenty of skin for the Taxidermist....Now this isn't what you meant Ron now is it :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

Image[/URL]

???? :mrgreen:
Ah no wrong kind of deer! Only you Anthony! :lol: :lol: :lol:
W.Miguire

Re: Leave plenty of cape for the Taxidermist!

Post by W.Miguire »

You don't want to mount a set of horns on a doe cape . the deers structure is all wrong . I have been doing taxidermy for over 30 years and talking from experience.
Anthony, I never mounted any skin like that :lol: :lol: :lol:
W.M.
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

This site lists & has video of how to prepare your animal for mounting.

http://foxfiretaxidermy.com/basicinfo.htm

This may help some folks who want a quality mount.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Great advice. If i may add, it's better to take more than less. Take the hide from mid belly and from that point going forward split the hide from the top of the deer's back all the way to the base of the skull. If you're going straight to the taxidermist immediately, fine. Otherwise, roll the hide leaving the head on the outside and get it in the freezer. Do not roll the hide with the head on the inside of the cape. If you're not able to get to your taxidermist immediately and don't have a freezer available (in camp) it's great if you know how to turn the eyes, ears, lips and nose and flesh the hide and have enough salt to salt it twice (the first salting draws most of the moisture out and makes a big pile of liquid and the second salting dries it out more. Anyway, it's a great way to preserve your hide and prevent slipping until the delivery to your taxidermist.....and you get to keep hunting. :wink: If I've missed something I'm sure one of our taxidermists will chime in or make a correction.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

x2 on w. miguire 35 plus years would never do a mount like that all the bone structure would be wrong.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Yep, its much better to have a buck cape for buck mount. The nice part is that you end up with two trophies in one. The buck right next to me right now is a cape from a nice 8 point that I took with a muzzleloader with the antlers from an 8 point my with took a few years earlier with my Ford. It turned out great. The cape from the Ford kill was missing a lot of eye lashes and whiskers but was a huge bodied buck in full rut. I just waited until I took something of similar size to make the mount.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

Most taxidermists can usually source a cape if one is needed due to a Ruh Roh or other negative happening on your cape.
JB'STAXIDERMY

Post by JB'STAXIDERMY »

Check with your taxidermist before u salt any hides or split it up the back to the skull..... i personally tan my hides green ( not salted) it allows the acid in the pickling process to flow through the hide easier..... and i use a short incision on my mounts so if u cut a deer all the way up the back to the skull i would charge extra for the sewing ...... and most of us have extra capes saved that we can use for your horns if thats all u have ..... if u were in the south rifleman i could get u a cape for your deer if its a southern deer if its a northern deer the cape want be big enough cause we dont grow em big enough down here compared to northern states :)
Equinox
Hawke xb30 pro
Boo Trigger job
Firebolts
Slick Tricks
Vixenmaster string