Looking for - Ontario butcher!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Nathan_armstrong

Looking for - Ontario butcher!

Post by Nathan_armstrong »

hi guys, so I'm new to crossbow hunting and I've been reading up a lot on it and so on. But my question is does anyone know where a good butcher is in Ontario? One that I can take the whole deer to, after all the field dressing is done as I know how to do that just don't want to take the chance on wrecking the meat. I live in Brussels Ontario so anything around there would be nice. Or if any of you guys are from around the area and wouldn't mind giving me a hand... That'd be awesome!! Thanks again.
Normous

Re: Looking for - Ontario butcher!

Post by Normous »

I found it rewarding to butcher my own deer after using a butcher for my first few deer. It is easy to do, watch a couple Youtube video's or Google "how to butcher a deer".
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Normous wrote:I found it rewarding to butcher my own deer after using a butcher for my first few deer. It is easy to do, watch a couple Youtube video's or Google "how to butcher a deer".
Exactly what Norm said. No one will take the time and care to process your meat like you would. If I can do it anybody can!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
bubba

Post by bubba »

X-3 Yes, butchering and packing your own meat is the only way to go. Hamburger, steaks,roasts, jerky meat. You all way's get more meat. not saying they steal any when they process it. But i've seen friends take there harvested deer or hog in. And come back with an arm full,that's it. I get twice or more every time. And keep my wallet a little fatter. I do have a local guy up in Ms, we have been going too for his deer sausage, best i have ever ate. Call's it Jalapeno and cheese..( Damn Good ) he get's a couple big hind quarters. But the rest my wife and i label and pack. We got us a system...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

In the past I have used a Mennonite butcher just outside of Dorking.....can't remember the name but if you're interested, send me a PM and I'll give you directions.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

If you take it to a butcher make sure you have a look at the facility - see if it's clean.

We used to take deer to a butcher in the area (near Ariss). Once I actually walked in to the facility (to use the washroom - which was pretty disgusting ) there was no way I'd ever use them again.

We were also not pleased with the quality - we'd brought in a skinned and clean deer - I had to unroll roasts and wash dirt and hair off before cooking. I suspect we weren't getting our own deer back.

Since that experience we've butchered our own. It's not complicated and the results are much better. It's a bit of work but worth it.
Last edited by VixChix on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

We do all of our own processing after getting ripped off by butchers...nothing too it...go on utube...lots of videos there...good luck in your hunt. :mrgreen:
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
swiftfox

Post by swiftfox »

If your are from around Brussels, try some of the hunters in Clinton. They are familiar with home butchers that do a great job. I hang mine in the garage for a day or two depends on the temperature. Ask to go watch. After that you should have a good idea on how to do it yourself. Take time to make sure every thing is clean. I use a table in the garage and put on a plastic cover, wash it with a mild bleach solution wipe clean and start.
As every one else has said watch a few videos, but don't rush to ger er done.if you make a mistake it is good for stew or hamburger. take the time to look before you cut. you will be surprised how well you will do. I butchered one last year with my sister in law. :D

Swiftfox
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"