FPS, Does This Sound Right?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: FPS, Does This Sound Right?

Post by nchunterkw »

TPM wrote:I stand corrected. I have no doubt heavy arrows can "hit harder" than lighter arrows but I think it's a risky trade off in slower shooting bow like the Grizzly. I've been competing in 3D for almost 10 years and have plenty of "real life" experience studying speed and arrow weight and how it affects trajectory at ranges from 10 to 60 yards. I've also been witness to plenty of shooters who were humbled when shooting unknown distances (too many spend too much time shooting at the typical 20, 30, 40 yard etc. ranges). Lighter arrows and the flatter trajectory that comes along with it is one way to lessen error with slower bows and to me that's pretty critical when hunting. Faster bows, no big deal but slower bows with heavy arrows you better have your distances down pat.
I see what you are saying, and for 3D that makes perfect sense. But for deer - especially larger northern deer - I feel the heavy arrow is the way to go. Especially on "slower" bows. I say it that way because even the "slow" Excals are way faster than things used to be not all that many years ago.

With a slower bow you maximize penetration by using a heavy arrow with a stiff shaft and a sharp fixed broad head with a low work angle. Sure other setups will work, and almost anything thrown at a deer that hits in the ribs will work - because that is just not that tough....but hit a shoulder blade of a big northern or Midwestern corn fed deer with a light arrow from a slow bow with a 2" or 3" mechanical, and ......I'd rather not risk that.

Remember KE varies with the square of velocity. So a 5 fps increase is a 25 ft-lb increase......and when you market stuff an increase of 25 sounds better than an increase in 5 right? IMO that's why KE is thrown around so much. It is a tool to use for sure, but impact force is what you need to look at for deer hunting.

Google Ed Ashby and read a bunch of his research papers. He puts arrows out of slow recurve bows through water buffalo so he does know what he is talking about when it comes to maximizing arrow penetration based on real world data. Of course that would be a little bit of overkill for our applications but the principles are sound.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
bubba

Re: FPS, Does This Sound Right?

Post by bubba »

Ed Ashby, Absolutely the best informative read ever pertaining to arrow's... Changed my whole arrow out look. All members here need to check his research, Momentum, vs, weight,and speed. An eye opener for sure...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)