sighting in new broadheads - and short intro

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

benjamin.l.richard

sighting in new broadheads - and short intro

Post by benjamin.l.richard »

Hey Yall, my name is Ben and I live in south central GA. My buddy graciously gave me an Excalibur Axiom last year on long term lone....
Im brand new to bow hunting and brand new to crossbows and so far I love it....I had some issues last year with the broadheads he gave me and the arrows became slightly worn out do to me having issues with that......so, for this year I wanted to start out fresh with new arrows and broadheads.....

Because im brand new at all this I wanted to start out with all excal stuff so I bought the 150g boltcutters paired with the carbon fireball bolts......

I got it hitting dead on at 20yards with minimum effort but when I backed up to 30 I started hiting about 4-5 inches low.....I assumed since I was usuing 100% excal stuff including the scope it would all line up....

I was thinking to maybe just set my zero at the thirty yard mark and go from there......I am getting super tight groups....

thanks for any info!
Last edited by benjamin.l.richard on Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kd8jgu

Re: sighting in new bradheads - and short intro

Post by kd8jgu »

If I remember right on the wifes Vixen had about same thing so set the 20 about 2 inches high
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D First off, it'd be nice if you went back to your profile and finished filling in where you're from. I know you've told us in your introduction but as you post questions it may be easier for someone to help you out.
Now, for sighting in. Is there a speed dial on your scope? If it's an excal scope there will be. Once you have a perfect 20yards setting on your crosshairs move back to 40yards. Make sure you have at least a 24" target. Put a spot at the top of the target and shoot at it with your 20 yard crosshair. You will hit low. Now, back to your solid rest on the bench, hold your 20yard mark on the bullseye and adjust your speed ring until the 40 yard mark is on the arrow you just shot. This should dial you right in. Good luck.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Welcome aboard, and good advice given from them folks. I can't recall the name of the scope, but there was one that had no speed adjustment, just one model under the Vari-Zone. I hope that is not the scope you have, but if so, try like stated setting dead on at 30 yards, and see where twenty hits.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
benjamin.l.richard

Re: sighting in new broadheads - and short intro

I will fill out some more info on my profile here in a minute......

My scope is indeed the one before it had the adjustable reticle for arrow speed.....

I will try some of the ideas mentioned above tomorrow and post my findings....thanks guys

one other thing unrelated......I noticed today that my recoil plates when tapped on seem to be loose.....I attempted to tighten them but the screws appear to be tight......its the same on both sides.....is this normal?
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

You can pick up a used varizone scope with the speed dial on the trading post for not much $. Just keep checking they pop up all the time. Good scope for the money...i have one on my axiom. Just click on the board index at the top of the page then on the trading post. :D
Welcome to the forum!! :D :D
South central jawga...what part? I'm in the Savannah area of the state. :)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
DanO

Post by DanO »

I have the early version of that scope without the speed dial and I've never had a problem with sighting it in.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Welcome aboard Ben!
-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome!! could the scope be a MaxZone! If so there is no speed ring! I see there is a Vari-zone up for sale on the tradeing post now!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Welcome to the forum Ben, good to see another southern boy here :wink:
If your scope has no speed ring adjustment or no multiple crosshairs you will have to choose what yardage you want it zeroed at and then shoot and practice to learn your hold over or under points for different yardages. Many say that a 30 yard zero is a good middle ground, then learn where your 10, 20, and 40 yard (or farther) aim points are at.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
benjamin.l.richard

thx for the tips and welcomes......im gonna start thinking abut a new scope however that is prob gonna have to wait till next year........im about tapped out this year on new huntin stuff...

Reynolds......about an our south west of macon.....
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

paulaboutform wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum. :D First off, it'd be nice if you went back to your profile and finished filling in where you're from. I know you've told us in your introduction but as you post questions it may be easier for someone to help you out.
Now, for sighting in. Is there a speed dial on your scope? If it's an excal scope there will be. Once you have a perfect 20yards setting on your crosshairs move back to 40yards. Make sure you have at least a 24" target. Put a spot at the top of the target and shoot at it with your 20 yard crosshair. You will hit low. Now, back to your solid rest on the bench, hold your 20yard mark on the bullseye and adjust your speed ring until the 40 yard mark is on the arrow you just shot. This should dial you right in. Good luck.

Paul
I also have to sight in a Tac Zone scope. What do you mean when you say, "Now, back to your solid rest on the bench, hold your 20yard mark on the bullseye and adjust your speed ring until the 40 yard mark is on the arrow you just shot?"
I must be having a brain fart because I can't follow what you suggest to do...
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

Disregard my last...I see what you are saying. As soon as my scope rings come from Excalibur I'm going to sight it in.
benjamin.l.richard

Okie doke, got it all set......hitting bullseye at 20, 30, 40, and 50......!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

benjamin.l.richard wrote:Okie doke, got it all set......hitting bullseye at 20, 30, 40, and 50......!
I love when a plan comes together. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.