Hunting Backpacks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

WVEER

Hunting Backpacks

Post by WVEER »

Looking to purchase a new backpack for this season. Wanting something a little larger than a day pack that can accommodate both a crossbow and rifle. Hope to take Elk hunting in the future and if Lady Luck is on my side haul out several pounds of meat. What does the group use/recommend. Willing to spend ~$350.
dewy

Re: Hunting Backpacks

Post by dewy »

I'm in the research phase for a pack as well. If you have t done so already check out Hunt talk forums and elk101.com. Both have tremendous amount of info in regards to packs. I think Elk101 even has ratings for some and broken down by price and size. Eberlestock, Horn Hunter, and Mystery Ranch seem to be popular choices.
Best of luck! I assume you are looking at going to Wyoming?
Micro 335
15" BEE's
125gr Shwackers
Taylmatr

Post by Taylmatr »

I love my eberlestock X2 pack but I think it falls in the daypack category. Once I butcher a good sized whitetail it's about outta space though. So it probably holds 60-75 lbs in a trip. Think that might be a little small for elk.
benjamin.l.richard

Post by benjamin.l.richard »

swany66675

Post by swany66675 »

Mystery Ranch Dragonslayer
Everything is is next to the pockets it came out of a few of the photos rotated for some odd reason. I wanted [USER=15628]cowsmilk[/USER] to see my new organization, plus I can still fit all my layers in the pack, and lunch or a boned out deer. The pack is compressed as small as it will go with this loadout and still has room for a jacket, plus extras.

My binoculars, cheap Bushnell pair but work well enough for me. Usually a kleen kanteen, game calls.

Garmin GPS, is used most often when the kids are with me and when I need to give someone my exact location when in the woods. The other belt pocket holds a buck alpha delrado folding knife and my extra rounds.

Flashlight and two quart and two gallon bags.

Flashlight, toilet paper (also use it to mark blood trails), leatherman and a bic.

Inside pack on left side Wyoming saw (held in place with carabiner), and three pouches mounted on spadelock. Yellow thing at the top is a clip on flashlight, gets the most use.

Bottom pouch

Water treatment and first aid.

Middle pouch kill kit

Kifaru meat bag, tags (only need them when games down), rubber gloves, clean up wipes, my knife.

Top pouch

Lighter, DMT sharpening stone, small repair kit, few bandaids, small pill capsule with meds (missing from photo), small fire kit in pill bottle. Batteries, Game laws, permission to hunt notes, ear plugs (handy when sleeping under a tree) compass.

Behind Velcro pannel on spadelock, leatherman bit kit, small fix blade (gift from polar bear), pen, fire steal, and small piece of cord. Two 'biners.

Behind spadelock small hatchet and large contractors plastic bag.

Otis caning kit for all I hunt with rides in bottom ofttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/14/1a9d28167a81f4fb803c8c52dbb8693c.jpg[/IMG]
Swapped out the twelve gauge brush with a twenty gauge, and the same for the other brushes to make them specific to my needs.

Usually there is drag rope in a quart bag during deer season, and for the super observant the horse blanket pin on the left side of the belt makes a handy place to hang small game.

And some field pics from Saturday.

That was 56lb's of boned out whitetail in the back.
swany66675

Post by swany66675 »

For elk I would probably look for a used Mystery Ranch Longbow used.