Scope or me?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GRUNDY

Scope or me?

Post by GRUNDY »

OK,

Now that I have my latch fingers polished so I can shoot more than 50 times before my serving is toast. I can get back to sighting in my Micro335 with deadzone scope.

Here's the symptoms:

Night 1, arrows grouping 4-6" right. Make scope adjustments for center of bull at 20 and 30 yards. Same hole accuracy at 20 yards.

Night 2, 30 yards, first arrow, huge flyer 9" left, subsequent shots settle into 2" groups but now hitting about 4" left. shots at 20 yards 2" left

NIght 3, 30 yards, first arrow big flyer high and left, subsequent shots group nice but now 6-8" to left. Make appropriate adjustments to get shots centered at 30 yards and back to same hole accuracy at 20 yards centered in the bull.

Now if this pattern repeats itself like it has been, tomorrow the shots will start to drift to the right of the bull. This same scenario will also repeat itself if shooting is continued. I've not had trouble with the elevation.

I am using the rope cocker supplied with the bow. I am cocking the bow as close to the same exact way each time that I am capable of.

When I tore down the bow to send the trigger assembly out to have the latches repaired I removed, cleaned and blue loc-tited all screws and bolts associated with holding the scope and trigger assembly in place.

I have an RMA submitted for a new scope to be sent to me. But I want to bounce this situation of you guys. Right now I don't dare hunt with because there's no telling where it will hit after its sat for a bit.I am missing out on stand time. I've had this bow one month. Between the latch fingers and this sight in problem I'm becoming increasingly frustrated.

If there are some ideas I could try to work through, I might give it a whirl to salvage the first part of my season. I do not have another scope at my disposal to try out. I've heard I might be able to get some cheap pellet gun scope to try and see if that will zero.

Thanks,

Brian
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
cadmaster

Re: Scope or me?

Post by cadmaster »

I had a similar problem when my scope broke. everything was was also to the left and could not dial it in. Eventually the reticle rotated. Currently it is being returned to Excal for repair/replacement.

They really are excellent equipment. I have had my Axiom for 5 years approximately and never a problem until now. There will always be some bows with problems, but Excalibur has the best people and they stand behind their products.

For what I have heard and seen Excalibur Crossbows have less problems and stand up better than just about everything else.
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

I have had an Excalibur scope go bad on me. I learned about it after I wounded a deer. I contacted Danny Miller and sent him the bad scope and for some additional money upgraded to a Leupold shotgun scope. I am going on my fourth season now with that scope and no issues. I am not a fan of china made optics.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Brian, WOW! How frustrating. If it makes you feel any better I had a similar experience with my M380. I had loose fasteners then a faulty scope. I did get sorted out and now shooting tighter groups than I ever imagined. Anyway, you've tightened and loktited your scope and trigger mount screws. That's a great start. Now, just to be sure, loktite and tighten every other fastener you can see. Stock to mainframe (rail), riser to mainframe and limb bolts. Make sure you leave it for 24 hours to let the loktite set. If you're still having the same issues my bet is the scope.
Just to be sure, again, check your brace height to make sure it's equal on both sides. Are you seeing any strange ware on your serving? Kind of flat on the bottom of the string and off center? Just throwing ideas out there. If it is your scope you will get sorted out quickly. If you're in the U.S. you can get a new scope within a week (I'd bet). Good luck and keep us updated.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

I have all those bolts loc-tited. I made dang sure that there is no bolt that would affect how the scope would align with the rail that does not have blue loc-tite on it.

This is my first X-bow (V bow convert) The serving seems to wear ok now, there may be a little more where on the left side (as viewed when shooting) where the serving contact the rail, and the left latch seems to leave a touch more of an imprint on the serving, but its nothing that would really alarm me.

Brace height has been maintained with the mark on the rail just visible in front of the string at brace.

I'm half tempted to drive to Canada and have Excal take a look at this thing in person. Damn thing seems possessed.

B

Regards,

B
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
Waif

Post by Waif »

Reads like it is possessed.
Maybe tension on stadia wires or whatever they are called continues after you shoot and they creep towards tension they should have gone to during previous adjustments.
Some scopes in the past(not Excaliburs in my case) required tapping on the turret ,without damaging turret or adjustment wheels, to jar them enough to seat in new adjusted position....
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Sounds like you've covered all the bases. I'd contact Danny Miller and rush your scope off asap. You'll have a new one likity split....but if you're near the Detroit crossing it may be faster to drive straight to Excalibur and deal with it on the spot.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

By chance do you have another scope or red dot that you might swap just to see?
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I replaced the tact-zone on my 330 when it started doing that and it has been a tack driver since.... up until my last shooting session. The last 3 shots I took were low and to the right with each shot getting worse. I put it away and am using my 310 for hunting now. I have checked all the screws and everything is tight.
When I get a chance in a couple days I will try sighting it in again before returning my scope again. :(
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
wabi

Post by wabi »

NEPAbowhunter wrote:I have had an Excalibur scope go bad on me. I learned about it after I wounded a deer. I contacted Danny Miller and sent him the bad scope and for some additional money upgraded to a Leupold shotgun scope. I am going on my fourth season now with that scope and no issues. I am not a fan of china made optics.
Same here. I later switched to a Leupold 1-4x20 when I needed the shotgun scope for a muzzleloader, but with Leupold I don't have to worry about when the scope is going to fail.
(I actually had 3 "crossbow" scopes go bad, two TenPoint & one Excalibur)
wabi
Cibby

Post by Cibby »

When I bought my Grizzly in July it came with a plain Excalibur 2.5 power scope not a Vari Zone or Dead Zone it's advertised to come with. I wrote Excalibur and they would not exchange it for the right scope. Since then that scope went bad you can not see thru it everything is a blur. I replaced it with a Nikon Bolt it is a much better scope I want to send the bad scope back to Excalibur. I also like you had a problem with the center serving wearing quickly with a flat spot worn on the bottom. I just replaced the string. Being new to Excalibur I didn't wax the center serving the first 2 weeks I had the Grizzly. Once I started waxing the center serving the amount of wear on it decreased almost completely. I wonder when I send my scope to them if they will replace it with the correct Dead Zone or Vari Zone scope. No matter what scope they replace mine with the Nikon will stay on the Grizzly as I'm pleased with the accuracy I get with it.
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

Glad to hear its probably not me. Hind sight being 20/20 I would not have bought the package deal. Seems like the Bowtech accessory scopes are pretty much doomed to fail eventually.

Too bad really. Have a bad taste for Excal right now after the latches and now this junk scope. I hope the bad taste washes out cuz I feel like the bow has great potential.

Problem is I cannot afford much more than 150 bucks on aftermarket optics. Are there any good choices at that price point?

Regards,

B
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
Cibby

Post by Cibby »

I paid about that for the Nikon Bolt shipped. The accuracy has been spot on and has not changed since I bought it the first week of September. I even took it off once and put it back on my Grizzly and POI never changed.
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)