Could someone explain (arrow question)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Could someone explain (arrow question)

Post by wabi »

Why my aluminum arrows with a FOC of around 8% always fly great with both field points and broadheads, but carbon arrows need a ridiculously high FOC?

Not trying to cause any flame wars or insult anyone, but I've never understood it!

I tried carbons years ago and they just didn't group like the old aluminums. And I've shot everything from 2213s to 2219s with equally good accuracy.

I've read on hear for years how you need to spine check, use heavy inserts, heavy points, separate arrows into groups for accuracy, etc. with the carbons.

With aluminums I cut them to the length I want, glue in the standard aluminum inserts, fletch them, screw in 100gr points and I'm good to shoot one hole groups. And I've used a few different brands of fixed blade broadheads that group right with field points.

Is it the flex of a carbon, the straightness, or something I can't even think of that requires all the tinkering?
wabi
GRUNDY

Re: Could someone explain (arrow question)

Post by GRUNDY »

Good question. I have this same experience with my V bows.

Can't comment on Crossbows since I'm so new.

Regards,

B
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
PSEWOOD

Post by PSEWOOD »

I shoot aluminum arrows (2216) also! I don't know why more people don't use them! I am sure BEE arrows are good.But for a low price you get the most consistent arrow to arrow with Aluminum.I am more likely to lose one than bend one!
Drew

Post by Drew »

Hmmm...where to start. Carbon arrows have come a long way, I say that because you mentioned you tried carbon arrows years ago. I personally get equally good groups with Easton XX75-XX78's and GT Traditional carbon arrows out of my traditional hunting vertical bow. Do you paper test your arrow shafts out of your vertical bow? You may or may not be getting as good of arrow flight as you believe.

It seems most crossbow hunters like a little higher FOC to aid in penetration. (Do a search for Dr. Ashby arrow penetration). I personally shoot 15-23% FOC depending on what I am trying to achieve. I don't NEED that kind of FOC for accuracy though. Personally 8% seems like a ridiculously low FOC. Maybe for field archery or other applications it would be appropriate. The arrows I mentioned above for my trad bow are around 12% and that seems low to me.

I personally do not usually spine match although I have recently had my last dozen matched. I have yet to see an accuracy difference because of it though, most likely because Zombie Slayers are so stiff to begin with. I don't believe you are getting the amount of flex on a crossbow arrow like you see with a vertical bow. There is no center shot to worry about and as mentioned the shorter crossbow arrow is so much stiffer in comparison.

My current arrows for my M355 are 18" ZS's, 26gr aluminum insert, 3 2" blazer vanes, and lumenok, with a 185gr fixed 2blade bh. 427gr, 18.6% FOC. Fly like darts.

There are many others more knowledgeable in regards to arrow construction than I on this forum and I'm sure they will give you some better info. I
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads