405 vs. Thumb - the story - no pics

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

405 vs. Thumb - the story - no pics

Post by Species8472 »

I went up to my camp Thursday (Oct 01) after lunch to grab an afternoon hunt on the opener. I got settled in to my blind at about 3pm down at the river which is about a mile from the cabin.

At about 5 pm a group of 3 does and 2 fawns comes in. Seeing as I have a doe tag I pick one one out and wait for a shot. After about 5 minutes my chosen deer presents a nice broadside shot at about 25 yards. I pull the trigger and instantly know something is not right. A clean miss on the deer (went under as my thumb stole a bunch of energy) and excruciating pain in my left thumb. I look at the thumb and see more less what was shown in the pic posted earlier except there is a lot more blood.

I take my sweater off and than my t-shirt and using my knife cut the shirt up into strips as best i could one handed and dressed the wound as best as i could one handed. I put the sweater back on and started the 20 minute hike back out to the cabin.

At the cabin I have a first aid kit so I remove the makeshift dressing and than irrigate the wound with saline and apply an iodine soaked gauze to the wound. Than I add some more dry gauze and than taped it all up with electrical tape.

Than I get in the truck and drive an hour to the hospital. At the hospital they immediately cleaned and dressed the wound again and than sent me back to get x-rays. Bones and tendons appeared to be fine but the surgeon is going check them out on Tuesday to make sure and to see if wound is closing okay.

Time from trigger pull to back home stitched up was 5 hours.
Last edited by Species8472 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
vixenmaster

Re: 405 vs. Thumb - the story - no pics

Post by vixenmaster »

Joe i hate that happened to you. Pray all will heal n soon
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Joe not judging . But how did you get your thumb up there with a 405`s deeper stock and such ?
Unless you have hands that can grip a basketball like a orange . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Doe Master wrote:Joe not judging . But how did you get your thumb up there with a 405`s deeper stock and such ?
Unless you have hands that can grip a basketball like a orange . :shock:
Custom stock without guards.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Hope you heal fast! Don't use that stock anymore.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Riflemanz wrote:Hope you heal fast! Don't use that stock anymore.
Rifleman;
I am sorry that it happen to Joe but that is the way he ordered it and he said it was his own fault. I offered to put thumb guards on for him. Don't use that stock anymore my a++++.
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

I had an injury something like that but much smaller on my right index finger 8 stitches and a month to heal. I lost most on the feeling in that finger tip for years until the nerves grew back. Just an ugly scar now and sensitive to the cold.

After seeing how bad you were injured I will be wearing a leather work glove as protection.

I hope you heal well and are not in too much pain.

You should be able to modify that stock to add guards without too much trouble.
agingcrossbower

cadmaster wrote:I had an injury something like that but much smaller on my right index finger 8 stitches and a month to heal. I lost most on the feeling in that finger tip for years until the nerves grew back. Just an ugly scar now and sensitive to the cold.

After seeing how bad you were injured I will be wearing a leather work glove as protection.

You should be able to modify that stock to add guards. NO crap DICK TRACY.
agingcrossbower

Riflemanz wrote:Hope you heal fast! Don't use that stock anymore.
YOU can rest assured that one of my stocks :evil: will not hurt poor little you ever.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

How bad compared to the first time? I'm impressed with the calmness you showed in dealing with your digititus. I have known more than a few guys who would have fallen apart. Would pick you for my team any day of the week. Kudos on your intestinal fortitude. Happy healin Joe, :D
Hank
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

agingcrossbower wrote:
cadmaster wrote:I had an injury something like that but much smaller on my right index finger 8 stitches and a month to heal. I lost most on the feeling in that finger tip for years until the nerves grew back. Just an ugly scar now and sensitive to the cold.

I was making a comment on that it could be modified to add guards. nor was I being being rude OR insulting.

Obviously you are on the wrong forum as your comment is both rude and insulting. Try to be constructive rather than destructive you will be happier in life as a result.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Sorry, operator error and not the stock!
:oops:
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
agingcrossbower

cadmaster wrote:
agingcrossbower wrote:

I was making a comment on that it could be modified to add guards. nor was I being being rude OR insulting.

Obviously you are on the wrong forum as your comment is both rude and insulting. Try to be constructive rather than destructive you will be happier in life as a result.
You were stating the obvious and yes I was insulted. Stick around for more than a month before you make observations on how should or should not be on the forum.
Last edited by agingcrossbower on Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

I agree rifleman it was operator error.

I was just saying that we should be nice to each other rather than spouting poop to our fellow members.

and I have been on this site for more than 5 years this account is only a month old but I am not. This account was to replace my original which I could not access any longer.
Last edited by cadmaster on Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Joe, I hope the Doc has only good news on Tues., and that you heal swift and well.