+,- Noise Reduction, Is it Worth It?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BUCKSHOT

+,- Noise Reduction, Is it Worth It?

Post by BUCKSHOT »

The best thing I have heard of and seen for noise reduction, as of yet is the addition of Stabilizers to the crossbow!
The stabilizers are very low maintenance and also help to keep you steadier while shooting. Being tucked under the bow, they become very much a part of the bow, and hardly noticeable.
My point would be that the stabilizers will improve your performance without detrementing arrow speed and causing the addition of an item which requires maintenance. In most cases for every action there is a reaction, but in this case the reaction is possitive!
My question would be, for the slight possitive effect created by the addition of string silencers (for hunting), which are an aditional cost, mainteance, and sacrifice of fps. Is there much sense in using them?
Personally I haven't tried them, so please don't take this the wrong way, it just seems to me that they could be something you may need to worry about, that really isn't necessary!
Happy Shooting! :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!
Digger

Post by Digger »

I had string silencers on my first Wolverine and first Vixen only because I was given them when I purchaced the xbows. I had Tarantulas on the Wolverine, it made no difference in the sound after 50 shots half the fillements were gone. the Vixen had fuzz busters, they made no difference either, they just looked ugly and out of shape after a day in the rain hunting. Dissapater bars quieted them down more than any thing else.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
johnbuck9

noise reduction

Post by johnbuck9 »

Hey Buckshot,

I have a Max and I put one of Marks custom stocks on with a simms limb saver on each side of the rail, along with some stretch tubing which I wrapped around the foot stirup.and this really toned down my bow with no
speed change, a little costly, but very sweet shooting,
last year hunting with my exomag, I shot deer from 15 too 40 yards with nothing on the bow what so ever for noise reduction and not one deer jumped string,till they realize they herd something its too late,
if you can ever get one of Marks stocks, they are well worth the money, steady more quiet and makes your bow very sweet shooting,
IMO string sil. are a waist on a Max or Mag , they just do not hold up. and a great loss of speed. well thats my 2 1/2 cents.,
Have a great season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BUCKSHOT

Noise!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I would like to add that for as long as I have had a bow, there has always been a set of db pads attached! The db pads are the ultimate in noise reduction for a crossbow. The first bow I bought had a pair on them, which I tranferred to my new bow, and it is a given, as to what advantages they provide.
The post I made earlier is directed at the use of additional equipment to acquire similar results.
Happy Shooting!
Enjoy the Harvest!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I wondered about noise reduction as a goal, mainly because it annoyed me when I was shooting. I doubt that we ever could reduce the level to the point it would not alert a deer since their hearing is so sensitive.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.